Help in giving up alcohol

That’s great thanks Donna!

1 Like

Thank you nearly thru day 1

2 Likes

You’ve gotten close to step 1. You at least have a desire to quit drinking. As stated you are in the right place for some help. Due to the ever changing world we are in if a AA meeting isn’t possible at the time definitely don’t count it out in the future. If you are able look into the Big Book do so. Step one fully is admitting your powerless over alcohol. I know for me this was realized after numerous times of trying to stop on my own. I am at day 97 and just can’t believe how much better life is. You will feel emotions like Mike had said and that is beautiful. Some hard, some great! My wife is happier with me then ever and my kids who are both toddlers can sense the new version of Dad who isn’t trying to just get through the day but be present! Keep at it and it will pay off. Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thank you all! meetings are not an option at the moment but won’t rule them out. What is the big book? Day 1 complete so feeling a bit better

2 Likes

The big book isnthe foundation of AA.
i’d say rule them in buddy. It is basically free therapy. For now (Corona) maybe search for online meetings.

I do NA myself and itnhelps me to reflect and get to know the little monster in me called addiction.
I am ill and NA is the medicine that works if i work it!

Good luck on your path, one last suggestion.
If what you did before didnt change things change what you do.

3 Likes

Part of this Forum is taking the Advice and

RUNNING with it!!! All we want for each other is
SUCCESS!!!

May i suggest you “shout” less it might come off a bit enforcing :innocent:

4 Likes

How am I shouting? I’m Intense… Yes… But tell me How… I’m Shouting??

I didn’t know that. I thought it was to get point across. I’m an old lady. I don’t like being told that Im mean. That Hurts.All I ever wanted to do was help. Not be
Disrespected. Or have my feelings hurt

2 Likes

Picking on little old ladies, terrible what this has done to people. You stand alone, I tried but I failed you, I must take some of the responsibility.

Your right. I’m sorry for that.
But I didn’t know I was doing something wrong. I was completely Belittled! And you know it

1 Like

BTW 59 is the new 30, don’t you be pulling that old lady stuff on us. :joy: :joy:.

3 Likes

Sorry for Going off on a lil tingent!
I’m back now? Lol!
Do you ever just lose your mind?
Sick of keeping it together all the time! Taking care of Everyone :heart: around you and you kinda get lost in the shuffle? Feeling a lil Batshit Crazy!

Hi there everyone, let’s try to keep this civil and not attacking eachother.

3 Likes

I have never actually been to AA, but I find that I adopt a lot of stuff from the group/book/whatever. Not knocking it, it obviously works. I just havent been. Personally I just looked around me and made an internal decision. My kids and career were more important than getting slammed on a tuesday night alone. I traded my alcohol addiction for a gym addiction. It’s worked pretty well for me so far. I now spend more time with my girls and my days at work are more productive. Just focus on not drinking today and everything else will fall I to place. Again this is just my personal exp. We all have our own individual journeys, you should create your own and follow it. What’s important to you and what do you want to accomplish that you couldnt while drinking? I wanted to squat 315lbs, took me months but I did it, thanks to not drinking. What’s your goal?

2 Likes

My goal is to never wake up feeling like crap again or get those phone calls from someone telling me what an idiot I was the night before. Since I quit (150 days ago should have been 9 months but damn relapse) all my partial projects are now complete.:grin: and ready for more. Might be too soon but tomorrow is quit smoking time. That scares me but if I can beat booze I think I can beat the smoke also. No harm in trying anyway.

1 Like

Lance, read the entire AA Big Book. It’s free on their website. I honestly can say it is changing my life. I have quit drinking many times for months at a time and went back to drinking everytime. Even though my husband threatened to leave. He even called a divorce attorney but nothing he did or said made me WANT to be sober. This time I Joined AA as well as this site and I’m reading the Big Book and working the 12 steps. For the first time in my life I truly like myself. I love being sober and I love my new life. I am at day 8 and I have 2 sponsors who are wonderful. I am disabled and really can’t get myself to meetings but i am doing it and I’m not going to give up this time. You can do the same. I just know it. Please read the book. Just the first couple of chapters and then let us know what you think. You have nothing to loose…but yourself.

Lance, you can do the meetings on line. You just go onto the website and read.

1 Like

You have helped me neaner by being the first to reach out I thank you starting day 3 because of you

2 Likes

I too use exercise as help to give up and Im a good runner but found it hard recently with everything cancelled to keep going but on the way out now again to help clear my head thank you