Help in giving up alcohol

just taking the piss, no doubt its only funny to me.

Noā€¦ Your starting Day 3 because of
YOU!!!
I thank you for the acclimades.But you did this my Friend! How are you feeling? I pray your keeping busy! Thinking about meetings/ groups yet? I am Sooooo Proud of You! Keep It Up! Rememberā€¦ Im Here :blush:!!!

3 Likes

Good!! Run around the Block 9300 times! That oughta do it!!! Lol

1 Like

Ya doing good have started the big book and working from That, back running to so mind is kept going relizd Iā€™ve been here before so taking it day by day thanks again

1 Like

Starting. Day 4 back from run feeling better

2 Likes

Good going! I sometimes think to myself I need to get out of my head and look at the big picture, we have one chance at this thing called life and itā€™s not a given weā€™ll have more than just today!:sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Howā€™re you doing @Lance83?

Hi Donna ya doing good day 5 halfway through keeping busy and how u doing

1 Like

Yay!
Iā€™m good here; sad a little last night but going out biking soon, thank God for that.

On page 20 and 21 the big book describes, moderate drinkers, hard drinkers, alcoholics. A hard drinker can stop on his own given sufficient reason. Ie: career, spouse, doctor, judge. A real alcoholic does not have this luxury and could die from this disease. I donā€™t believe itā€™s healthy to assume weather or not your a hard drinker. Only you can decide weather or not your alcoholic. If you are page 24 tells us ( alcoholics ) we are defenseless against the first drink. There is a solution however. This is in response to @Usmc. Thatā€™s great if that works for you brother. My brothers and sisters who are real alcoholics CAN NOT quit given sufficient reason. 3 part illness:
Allergy of the body, phenomenon of craving
Obsession of the mind
Spiritual Malady

1 Like

Hereā€™s a quick snap shot of why Iā€™m an alcoholic:

I am definitely an alcoholic. No one else can tell me I am, this is something only I can determine. Hereā€™s how I know:
I have an physical allergy. When I put any amount of alcohol in my body the phenomenon of craving begins. I never seem to have enough. With every drink I want more to drink. I canā€™t seem to stop no matter how much I drink. If I start a night and say Iā€™m just going to have 3 drinks. It rarely happens. I usually drink until I black out, or am in the back of a cop car, or both.
If this was my only problem. The solution would be simple. Donā€™t drink! If I donā€™t drink I wonā€™t experience this allergy and I can go on with life.
People who have food allergies just donā€™t eat that food and they never suffer the reactions that go along with the allergy.
Unfortunately for me my allergy is coupled with an obsession of the mind.
Obsession: My mind tells me that I can drink this time and Iā€™ll be able to handle it like every normal drinker. The suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago is not sufficient to defend me against that first drink. My own mind convinces me that I am making a logical choice and that for the right reasons, around the right people, the right environment, or any variation of that I can successfully drink and it will somehow be different this time. Iā€™ll be the life of the party. Iā€™ll enjoy myself. Itā€™ll be grand.
The second I do. I ignite the allergy and Iā€™m back in the cycle. I no longer have choice or control and my disease now chooses when Iā€™m done. Not me. Itā€™s like having a monkey on my back. I donā€™t choose when the monkey gets off. The monkey chooses.
For this reason I am defenseless against the first drink. This is how I came to understand the powerlessness of my disease. Alone I am powerless. Ive tried every form of self deception to prove myself an exception to the rule: therefore non alcoholic. That is how I managed my life. My management was horrible and I was ready to resign as manager of my life. First I needed something greater than myself to step into that management position. I chose a higher power of my understanding. I believed this was a better choice than what I had been trying.
Unfortunately this alone was not enough. Iā€™m a real alcoholic. You take the booze away from me and my life gets worse not better. The only solution I ever had to cope with life was the booze. After removing it and figuring out what my disease was. I knew knowledge alone wasnā€™t gonna cut it. There had to be more or I was in trouble.
Maybe Iā€™m just rambling but I did eventually find a solution. If your with me so far and would like to here more leave a comment. If enough people relate maybe Iā€™ll tell some more of my experience tomorrowā€¦

3 Likes

Very informative and an grateful u took the time to right that and help me improve, my hardest thing right now is Iā€™m coming up to a weekend and thatā€™s where I normally fall off the wagon a s go all in until. Monday, so any help u are giving I will listen

1 Like

Youā€™re doing it though; I was the same for awhile trying to get through my 2 days off. Itā€™s a habit; more of a mindset that you (we) need to change. Fight it! You need to be clear headed especially now.
Think of the weekend as going into battle, you have to prepare yourself!

1 Like

hey Lance Iā€™m sorry I havenā€™t had a chance to check in. How you doing? Hope things are going well? Iā€™m really proud of you I hope you made it through the weekend buddy!

1 Like

So far so good but today us Friday morning and thus us when it gets extremely hard for me just going to need to knuckle dien and try and get through it now

1 Like

You gotta do this! Think about the consequences! This Circle has to Stop? Doesnā€™t it?
I have Nothing but Faith and Hope for you Lance!
Fight the Fight :muscle:
Kick the Crave!!!

1 Like

Youā€™re so positive!! I like it!!

1 Like

Try not asking yourself to quit forever. Sometimes in early recovery I would just try to remind myself that Iā€™m not looking at forever. Just a day. Was I willing to quit today? It made it easier for me to fathom.
Just a suggestion.
It got my sober head on a pillow many nights in early recovery.

3 Likes

Thank you Sass! Weā€™ve been through to much Negative Shit! Weā€™ve got Nowhere to go, But Up!!! And Im gonna cheer for Anyone who Truly wants it!!! :grin::hugs:

3 Likes

You got that right!!!