Help please! Talk me outta this

Someone please talk me out of going to the store!

6 Likes

Try to distract yourself. The craving and discomfort will calm down a bit you gotta push through the peak of it. You can do this. Try to focus on things that need to be done around the house. Reorganize or clean. Put on some music and dance and sing. Breathe

6 Likes

Are you afraid of spiders? If so, I have it on good information that the store is overrun with deadly spiders who thirst for the blood of humans.

14 Likes

Intense cravings can be counteracted with breathing exercises. Close your eyes, breathe slowly and deeply, and focus your inner mind on your heartbeat and nothing else. Keep doing this as long as you can.

3 Likes

Use this time to read through some threads and then read some more and more. I find other stories very inspirational and distracting at the same time. Before you know it, the feeling will be gone.

6 Likes

This happened to me yesterday, I felt really panicky like I was crawling put of my skin. I was on day 1 .
I walked up and downstairs in my house like a lost puppy… I went for my purse and putting on my jacket. In my mind I was going to the store because I wanted to buy booze.
I felt empty and depressed, so many emotions that having a drink would erase temporarily.
Talk yourself out of it. Remember how crappy you will feel tomorrow, how disappointed you will be in yourself for giving in and being weak.
It took about less than an hour and suddenly my urge was lifted!!
It goes away!!! Eat some food drink some soda or tea fill up!
Take a shower , it will pass

6 Likes

I’ve been to that store twice in 48 hours and the only thing I found on the shelf was a heap of regret and a bargain bucket of guilt. Don’t leave the house, if you do go for a walk take no money. There’s nothing there mate, there’s not one drink out there that has the words miracle cure on the label. (I’m really hoping you don’t live in a country where they sell bottles of Miracle cure now). Seriously though what are you hoping to gain. I’ve been desperate to drink for 2 days now, I want one right now but if we do absolutely nothing outside of us is going to change. Also I’ve not drank for so long I’m not convinced I would survive it. We’ve only just started to live so let’s not take that risk. You know your gonna feel crap or act a dick. Do what you want tommorow but not now, not today. This is not how it ends, not today.

9 Likes

Go for walk, yes. But walk away. This Will empower you greater than giving in to tempation. You know what you want to do. Tell that other part of your brain that it will not win today

4 Likes

Take yourself to lunch where they dont serve alchohol, fast food or a coffee house. This always helps me.
It keeps me distracted and I get to people watch.
Feeling really full is another way that I lose my urge

3 Likes

Just ask yourself…How are you going to feel about this tomorrow? Me personally I’m filled with shame, disappointment and overall my body and mind feel like shit. Is it worth it? Keep talking with us! Hop in the bathtub, I usually add some lavender and the smells and warmth help me!

4 Likes

Write! Write down what you’re thinking and feeling and why you’re wanting to go. That always helps me. You’re strong and you’ve got this!

4 Likes

I keep a list on my phone of some of the stupid, illegal, horrifying, embarrassing, disgusting things I did or that happened to me when I was drunk or high. Taking a nice long read thru those lows always brings me back to the reality of how much my drinking was killing my body mind and spirit. Maybe some of the list will help you decide…
Or inspire you to work on your own…

What not drinking brings to my life…

No hangovers ever!!

Treating husband with respect and no drunk fighting

Self respect gets a major boost

No more internal conflict about drinking and if/how can I cut down or stop

Not getting sexually assaulted while passed out or drunk

Restful restorative uninterrupted sleep!!!

Major pride in myself and all that I have and can accomplish

A sense of peace and calm every day

No more embarrassment and shame because of my behavior

No more drunken side swipes on my car or driving into ditches or trees

Forgiving myself for past mistakes and terrible judgement

No wondering what I did or how I hurt husband or others while drunk

No treating people I love, including myself, poorly while drunk

No drunk driving and possibly hurting self or others or jail

No upset stomach from drinking

No anxiety and near constant agitation when hungover

No dark suicidal thoughts

No shame around neighbors if I was loud and yelling or loud music

No blackouts ever

No overwhelming shame at my behavior

No oversharing with strangers while drunk or making plans I will need to cancel

Not having to check my phone in the middle of the night to delete social media posts - no drunk texting/emails/posts/calls

Not be bloated and puffy and look haggard

Clear skin and eyes

Major pride in myself and a boost in self esteem

No hangovers ever again

No more excuses or lies

Peace of mind

22 Likes

Eat! Food kills my craving

4 Likes

Love you Paul your a solider and the enemies are booze you will and you are winning the war DONT GIVE UP THE FIGHT.:heart::v::pray:

2 Likes

How are you doing @Jlynn?

Eat all chocolate you have in your house! Without limitations, until you are full . If you don’t have chocolate eat everything you have in the house . This can help a lot ! In my case it works really much . Be strong, please :muscle:t2:

1 Like

I didn’t give in. That made me feel proud, but when I told my bf he didn’t even say good job or I’m proud of you! He just said “ok”. Like it was no big deal. He watched me about die from this s***. WHY wouldn’t he be proud? It REALLY got me upset…so I just asked him “why wouldn’t you say you’re proud of me or something?”…his response “I’m proud of you”. Like WHAT? You’re just gonna parrot it back to me like that?

WHATEVER TO HIM!

I didn’t give in and I knowthat at least Y’ALL are proud of me and have my back!

10 Likes

Happy to hear. Keep your focus on YOU and working your sobriety. The bf can be a distraction if he isn’t on board. Proud of you!

1 Like

We’re all very proud of you!! If your bf is not an addict, he will never know how difficult it was for you to refrain. We are addicts and we get it! Pat yourself on the back.

3 Likes

I love your list! Saving it.

3 Likes