Help to stay sober

I have recently lost my mum but have struggled with alcohol for 10 years plus. Im really struggling at the moment and would love help and advice to stay away from alcohol… please

13 Likes

Hi welcome, sorry for your loss, its hard to lose a parent, why not start with a program of action AA, Dharma recovery their are lots out there, why not read some of the posts etc here, you will find lots of support here and well done taking that first step to a better life

6 Likes

So very sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you.

Trying writing out the pros and cons of your drinking. Write a list of why you want sobriety.

Take it one day at a time. With grief. With sobriety.

4 Likes

I’m so sorry; i lost my mom a few months ago also. Drinking definitely will not help. Honor her with the best of you. :mending_heart:

7 Likes

Welcome! My condolences.
A program of recovery along with this forum has been keeping me sober. There are many programs out there and I’ll drop a link. I’ve had a lot of loss and life challenges over the past few years and AA has gotten me through every situation sober.
Resources for our recovery

4 Likes

As my friends here know ive lost several close family members in the last five years but i knew a drink wouldnt help. sorry for your loss maybe try a meeting might help with your grieve as many people there have been were you are now wish you well

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum. The best thing your mother would want is you putting the bottle down and seeking help. AA worked for me, maybe find a local meeting.

6 Likes

It’s wonderful that you reached out. Are you in the early days of sobriety? I’m so incredibly sorry about your mother. Holding space for you.

3 Likes

They say to block out grief of loss you gotta focus on all the good memories you have im certain you loved your mom alot just remember her beautiful face and warm moments you have stay strong brother!

2 Likes

Losing my mother is something that I never ever wanted either. Hugs to you from here.

I thought clearly after I stopped drinking, finally, and made a small remembrance journal for her. When I see something or hear something said that makes me think of her, I write it down there.

She did so much for me. All I know.

4 Likes

Drinking now will only make whatever it is you are dealing with worse. It’s a one way road to an early grave and a negative legacy.

3 Likes