Hi all I'm new :)

Hi everyone I’m Owen, I’ve noticed over the past few months my problem with drinking is getting worse, so I’ve decided to cut it from my life! I’m now just over 2 hours in and feeling great after I’ve gone for nice walk in the countryside.
I just thought it’ll be nice to speak up and ask for tips on ways to keep of it for good.
Keep safe ladies and gents :grinning:. X

15 Likes

Welcome to the forum Owen, you’ve taken a strong first step to back up your decision!

Here’s a thread that you will find helpful. https://talkingsober.com/t/resources-for-our-recovery/52812

Blessings on your house :pray: as you begin your sobriety.

5 Likes

Welcome Owen. My first thoughts when you ask for tips or what not would be:

• look for meetings in your area or online.
  • watch your thoughts and emotions when you get the urge to drink. What is there that prompts you to act on them?
  • list your reasons for wanting to quit on a paper and keep that where you can see it.
  • make sure you have plans of action for situations where you’re tempted.

Those are just a few. I know you’ll get some other great responses. I wish you the best.

3 Likes

I’m actually a bit new myself. Just a couple days without drinking. I can say it can definitely be sometimes boring for me since all I did was drink when I was alone. It’s a habit that I’ve decided to kick. It’s harder though since some of my close friends drink. Some have already gone to AA but learned controlled drinking. But it can be difficult for me definitely being around it but I still like to hang out with them. I’ve just been going to the gym and trying to find other things to do that I never could drinking. I’ve been trying to find others like me to talk to. But I wanted to stop because when I drank I didn’t want to stop. I liked getting drunk too much. Passed drunk if anything. It was a big problem for me and I knew I had to stop

4 Likes

Im new too, just wanted to say I am rooting for you!

4 Likes

Welcome, Owen. Get rid of any alcohol that’s in your home. Cravings will happen. They will pass. Don’t make it easy to cheat. Stay hydrated. Consider taking a B complex vitamin and a multivitamin. Heavy consumers of alcohol are often low on Thiamine. Eat nutritious food. Go for walks. Keep yourself busy. Reach out to this group if you’re struggling. The first few days can be difficult. You can do it!

4 Likes

Thanks, done a full clearance this afternoon before I started the app, and went for a walk to clear my head after I’ll look into AA meetings in my area.

4 Likes

Same here my freind keep strong

1 Like

I’m kind of in the same boat with you, most of my close friends enjoy going out every weekend and getting on it, when I’m further into my journey I’ll try and go out and do a personal limit for the weekend.

Thank you I’ll be sure to check that out :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for the tips :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on making one of the most rewarding decisions you can make :+1:

1 Like

Welcome @Owen1 !

1 Like

Stay busy/active much as possible. I’m on day 16. Drank 20 drinks a day for 17 years.

1 Like

Definitely.

Hell just visit and read everyday even if you’re not.
I’ve visited every day for a few years, been a few years sober, no coincidence to me

3 Likes

Hi! Welcome :pray:t2::two_hearts:

1 Like

Instead of a personal limit why not go out in time with them and not drink.
You might find they admire you.
It might be better to not drink than trying any kind of limit.
Just speaking for myself that when I try a limit I do great at the start but so easy to kid yourself and go back down that road of too much too often.

1 Like