Hi, I'm new... and I dont know how I got here

Hi everyone,

I’m very new to this and kind of nervous about it. I’ve battled with drinking for some time now. It’s never been consistent, and it has always been an issue with control. I think I would tell myself it wasn’t a problem because I didn’t “wake up wanting to drink everyday”… THAT was a true alcoholic, I was just enjoying myself… so that made me justify it.

My friends and I were big drinkers, then eventually so were my wife and I. The switch in my head that would tell me the next one was one too many never seemed to work. I’d always been the “partier who somehow had it together”. When she got pregnant that phase of her life came to a screeching hault, but mine didn’t… in fact it got worse because I tried to do it secretly. I still don’t really know why I ever made that leap, she didnt care that I could drink and she couldnt, she would say “I’m unreasonably mad that you are drinking because I would kill for a glass of wine right now”…but that was it.
Then the DUI happened, you’d think explaining that to your 5 month pregnant wife what had done on would fix things… I mean it did for a while, but then the embarrassment subsided and it started again.

And so on and so on, I would have a great period time, where if I would drink I would be in control, then slowly but surely, I’d have an extra on, then maybe another, and then another. Something would culminate, my wife and I would argue about it, I would apologize and start the cycle again.

It’s been 5 years since I got married, 3 years since my DUI, 2.8 years since I landed my dream job, 2.5 years since my son was born, 10 months since my daughter was born…and 1 year since I really tried to hide my drinking, rather than fix it.

-I’ve hid alcohol in the house
-I’ve taken shots of liquor when everyone is outside and no one can see me
-I’ve hid empties deep down in the recycling so they are hard to find
-I’ve lied to my wife and my family when I am under the influence
-I’ve drank too much that I have hurt myself

I’ve tried Therapy, she is very nice… but something about sitting in a room with a person who “claims” they will keep your secrets freaked me out and I talked more about feelings and anxiety over the actual problem. I thought about going to a group meeting, but I had the same fears of people looking at me, then the pandemic hit and going anywhere wasn’t an option anymore.

Last week, my wife told me if she sees this continue, if she sees no improvement, it’ll be over. Not because she hates me, not because she wants the kids to grow up with me partially in their lives, because the times that are bad… now out weigh the good

I don’t know how I got here, but I dont wan’t to stay here.

This time is different, maybe its the true threat of loss, maybe its clarity. I dont know, but it’s going to happen.

20 Likes

Welcome! You basically just described exactly what my life was like before I quit drinking. The final straw that led to me stopping for good was also my wife basically giving me an ultimatum.

Before that I had struggled for years to stop drinking because I knew that I couldn’t be a “responsible drinker”, but I don’t think I was truly ready to stop until I saw that it could cause me to lose my marriage.

I can’t tell you how many times before that I tried to stop drinking unsuccessfully. So you’re in the right place and it sounds like you are ready to start your journey into sobriety just like I finally was.

I also didn’t know anything about sobriety and I’ve never done AA or anytning like that. I’ve learned most of what I know from the great people here. Glad you’re part of it now too!

6 Likes

I can relate to this a lot. I will tell you its worth to stop now. I wish my dui/accident, in which i wrecked my truck and on top of dui i got 3 wreckless endangerment charges for having others with me and this still didnt stop me from drinking. The best thing you can do is quit so your kids dont remember much about you drinking. My kids were 3 and 4 when i wrecked and they still know the corner i wrecked on and mention it from time to time when we drive by it, and this absolutely kills me when they do. Not everyone believes in meetings but i am one that does so i say go find a group to join. Good luck to you my friend

8 Likes

AJ!!! Welcome!!! :slight_smile: There’s a lot of us in here that don’t know how we got here. We functioning alcoholics, in my opinion, are probably about the worst liars of them all LOL We lie to our family, our friends, and worst of all, to ourselves because we don’t believe that alcoholism could be true. I mean c’mon, we have worked hard to get where we are at right? Six figures, nice cars, beautiful house, great kids… What? Alcohol? “I got this like I handle my business in life!” HA! Oh ya told myself that lie :wink: And for way too long. But some people lose all of that, and pretty fast too. The damage is irreversible. Feel blessed that you have been given this gift of clarity in time where most things ARE reversible. And it sounds like you do have a supportive spouse…she’s got spunk…I LIKE that!!! :heart: Stick around and enjoy a sober life!!! HUGS!!!

6 Likes

So glad you’re here. I know how I got here, and it has quite a few similarities to your journey. Okay, where do we go now you ask? The healthy and happy way! Everything our broken brain tries to tell us in the beginning, don’t listen to it. Find sober friends, places, check in here, read, walking and other things when cravings come on to trim down the desire. If you can’t do it like that, consider asking for help (yeah I’m saying rehab). Changes in environment and behavior with like minded support (AA fellows) are the foundation of freedom from. Shit yes it’s hard in the beginning but we only have to worry and work on today. Welcome aboard and keep coming back!

6 Likes

Hi, you are so lucky! You’ve been given a chance to keep your family together. Think about how your life would be if you separated, would you carry on drinking the same or ramp it up a notch. I’m guessing ramp up coz you wouldn’t have to hide your drinking, you’d be able to do what you like when you like. How will that impact having your kids over, pretty much I’d say.
Take this wonderful chance that your wife has offered you, she wants your family to stay a family. Do the right thing and embrace that chance and run with it. Drinking is not more important than family :heart:

3 Likes

Welcome. I am new to TS also. Your post hit home for me. It’s, well, sobering, and disturbing, and maybe 2% comforting that I share all the same behaviors with you and I’m sure many other TS community members. All the tactics to hide the evidence, hide the purchasing, hide the drinking. So much emotional energy spent. Today is day one again for me. Stay strong friend.

6 Likes

Wow, thank you

1 Like

Thanks for your perspective, glad to see I’m not the only one. Sticking around sounds nice

4 Likes

It is comforting in a strange way. Stay strong bud

1 Like

Hi AJ, welcome!

It sounds like you have a precious gift: clarity. The stakes are absolutely clear for you right now. Not many people have it this clear in life.

It’s time to be humble and own your life, your problem, and your future. You’ve been avoiding it for years. Owning up will be scary and you will want to run to booze. But instead you’ll turn to your AA sponsor, or your other sober community supports, and you’ll grow new ways of coping.

Keep an open mind, don’t leave any stone unturned - go to meetings (real or virtual); I mean, is it worth losing your wife just because you’re nervous about meetings? No, of course not - and never ever give up.

Welcome to your future. It is - I am not kidding - infinitely better than your past.

Check back in here! Looking forward to hearing about your progress. Here’s a thread of sole resources to explore:
Resources for our recovery

4 Likes

I absolutely love reading your words, on many topics. . .tough love yet so inspiring and motivating. Thanks

1 Like

I’m glad Michelle, thanks! :innocent:

1 Like

@AJO86
Welcome to this amazing community of struggling survivor, striver and thrivers!
You’ve had that wake up call and now the road to recovery and rediscovery is open to you.
That road may be long, tricky and uphill but go for it - get the help you need, trust in those who love you and find the healing to be yourself once again, the true stronger one you can be…
The Truth will set you free and you will be free indeed.
Best wishes and hugs from UK!

2 Likes