Hindrances to sobriety

I’ve hit the 6 month mark and recently had to help a friend get back in rehab when she hit the bottom hard again. It’s made me want to drink. A lot. I’ve got more anxiety, more depression. Just trying to cope. You’d think seeing her that bad would deter me. I can’t figure out why it doesn’t. Every day of the last week has been a struggle as bad as my first week sober. I don’t know what to do.

4 Likes

Awe. Just remember that booze will make your anxiety and depression a million times worse. Are you on meds for either?

1 Like

Yes, for both. For sleep too, though that one is not currently working. I had been doing so well.

2 Likes

That sounds like a stressful situation! It’s not surprising it has stirred up some uncomfortable feelings. Give yourself a break, it’s ok to find difficult situations difficult :blush: You got through your first week - how did you manage it? If you made it work then, you can make it work now!

There also seems to be something about milestones…

6 Likes

Is there possibly someone who can take on this responsibility? It sounds like it’s putting you in a bad place… Not trying to pass the buck, but you need to look out for yourself as well.

4 Likes

Screw that. Pass the buck quick if it’s putting you in jeopardy. 6 months is a nice chunk of time but in reality it’s not a whole lot.

I spent the better part of the last 16 years drinking and drugging, my almost 10 months pales in comparison to that kind of time. I’d personally move on from that if it was putting my sanity at stake.

10 Likes

Haha what David said, do that.

1 Like

Try ameeting they might help ,helped me wish you well

I like that.

Thanks guys!!! Yea, 6 months isn’t a lot of time compared to the years i spent drinking. True. There’s a women’s meeting tonight I’ll try to get to. My friend has burned her bridges with 95% of the people she knows, but you all are right. I can’t let her bring me down. SHE has to want to change. I can’t make that happen. I appreciate you all. :heart:

4 Likes

I’ve found that shedding old friends with my shared bad habits has been painstaking but it’s absolutely necessary to my sobriety. Can’t let them set me back and when it comes down to it, are they true friends? I had to do this with family as well. Bad habits are just that, no matter who our circle of people are. Gotta move on without them and discover real happiness and health.

1 Like