Struggling with milestones

I’ve seen several folks post about struggling around sobriety milestones. I experienced this strongly around 90 days and - again now. Thought I’d share this - apparently we are not alone.

https://m.choosehelp.com/topics/recovery/dangerous-times-in-recovery

9 Likes

Thank You for posting this. I can’t say I’ve struggled staying sober through any of my 317 days, including milestones. I am as surprised as anyone by this, and consider it a blessing from my HP. In past attempts to quit, I did struggle as the 7 or 14, or 21 day marks approached. I think this stemmed from the fact that I had not yet accepted “never again” nor had I embraced the finality of “Forever”.

Now this is not to say that there haven’t been challenging days, especially early-on as I adjusted to not having the bottle to default to after the ubiquitous “hard day”, but taking a drink wasn’t an option. Dealing with whatever, finding new ways to channel the stress and anxiety into positive action, this was the challenge, but I always knew I would be better for it.

This time, I was ready. I didn’t quit out of a sense of shame, or obligation, just necessity. I wanted this sobriety, and I wanted it forever. This has made all the difference in the world.

6 Likes

Very good read, I’m only 11 days away from the 90 days milestone, maybe this explains my irritable and cranky mood :hugs:

5 Likes

I was the exact same way around 90. It got better almost immediately after - for whatever reason. I know you’ll push through - and I’m sorry it sucks right now.

3 Likes

I can’t say I’ve had any struggles this time around, as I’ve come to realize it’s life or death, and the game is over.

Really, I could just echo @Yoda-Stevie’s response…it applies to my own journey perfectly.

2 Likes

Just stressed about one thing or another so it’s just programing my mind to deal with situations sober, but it will pass, I like my new saying, it’s only one sunset and sunrise till it’s a new day :heart:

1 Like

Just simply keep it to 1 day at a time.

Also I am a big believer in AA.

1 Like

Me too. I would not be sober without AA.

1 Like

I’ve done fine in terms of navigating staying away from alcohol, but as I approach a personal milestone tomorrow (130 days, which will tie my longest stretch of sobriety), I have found myself with several adderall cravings over the last few days…that all-too-familiar itch – and for me, caving in on adderall will mean likely drinking. They go hand-in-hand.

Thankfully when I quit this time, I told my doctor to blacklist me from receiving ADD drugs. And yet, part of my mind still whispers to me: “give it shot…you know you can bullshit the guy” (i can and have before).

I won’t though.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this. I’m feeling the same urges. I haven’t smoked in almost 20 years, but damned if I’m not jonesing hard for a cigarette. Or anything. Stuff that was never a DOC for me. It’s like I’ve promised my higher power that I will not drink today - but my mind is looking for a work around.:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yeah for sure. If having the mind of an addict has given me anything, it has given me the ability to be incredibly coniving and convincing when needed…the unfortunate part is that this talent comes into play against us when the mental wheels are turning and trying to reason with ourselves that its ok to have a drink, a smoke, a pill, etc. Addiction is a sneaky bastard.

We truly are pitted against our own minds regularly.

5 Likes

…Omg yes :pensive:

1 Like

A blessing and a curse to have this skill.

Know what I do when I find myself trying to mentally weasel my way into rationalizing being able to use?

First I say to myself, “Self. Fuck off with that garbage”.

Then, I say to myself “See how you feel about this in the morning. Do not pick up or put the wheels in motion yet”.

Then I wake up the next day, and 99% of the time I find those urges have passed. If they persist, I tell myself to fuck off again and go about my day :joy:

2 Likes

My trip to the doctor’s to get my MRI referral moving today ended up being much more difficult than I anticipated.

As soon as I entered the door, cravings for adderall came flooding (this is my primary care doctor, he used to do my scripts for me). My mind started to wheel-and-deal trying to figure out a way to justify me asking for a new script. I pulled up this app and read my own posts about how horrible that shit is and how lifeless it made me feel, and especially about how bad the withdrawal is. I just kept telling myself “all you have to do is get in and out of this appointment without asking, and you’ll live to play another day”

Thankfully I got through the appointment and there was strictly only talk of the MRI. I got out of there with my goals intact. But…it was NOT easy. I wasn’t anticipating that.

3 Likes

Good article Holly. @Meggers and I talked about this as I hit my 90 days.

2 Likes

I’m so glad the sober you won this battle today! I think I’ve reread your last three comments from this post at least a dozen times :sunglasses::clap:t3:

2 Likes