How are you dealing?

I am sorry about your job situation. I have no doubts that you will come up with clever solutions. Congrats to your daughter.

3 Likes

Thanks. Not too worried. Iā€™ve always been employable. Have reached out to my network.

2 Likes

Full lockdown is now in place here, I think that my work is considered essential thankfully! :frowning::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

It first hit me today. In my province in Canada they recently announced all non essential businesses will close effective tomorrow night. That may mean I wonā€™t get paid for the days Iā€™m not working (I will get government assistance but it wonā€™t be as much as my salary). Money is always a little tight and our family will have to count our pennies carefully.

Iā€™m a little nervous because this is unfamiliar territory for me. But I feel I am going in sober, and more clearheaded than in the past, and that gives me courage.

2 Likes

I work in sales as well. I work for a very large company so I doubt my position will disappear, but I wouldnā€™t be surprised if our province declares us a non essential business (which would mean Iā€™d be on some type of government support).

I may get into online tutoring. I am a certified teacher in English and can also teach Math, so those are options. Iā€™ll put my name out there & see what I find.

Itā€™s times like this itā€™s valuable to have that network. I hope things go well for you in the search :innocent:

2 Likes

Weā€™re fine for 3-6 months. Cars are paid off. Mortgage just about gone, and we have savings to cover living expenses. I spoke with my former manager from my old company. Sheā€™s at a new company and has a spot she thinks is a good fit, so Iā€™ll start that process tomorrow. Good to have a network and good reputation. This is why I rarely burn bridges.

Whatā€™s really bothering me is just how fast everything went to crap. I get it. We need to be careful with this virus, but did we need to crash the global economy in the process? Did we need to close schools for the remainder of the academic year? We didnā€™t do this with SARS, MERS, Swine Flu, Zika, West Nile, or even Ebola. We donā€™t crash it every year with the seasonal flu. We assess the risk, take appropriate precautionsā€¦and press on regardless. Iā€™m not panicked. Iā€™m pissed. Pissed for those facing eviction, forecloser, repossession, having their retirement wiped outā€¦because those who should know better, panicked.

6 Likes

I feel if we can maintain our sobriety through this, we can handle almost anything that is thrown our way

1 Like

Absolutely :grin:

Yes it does seem to have swept everything up. Itā€™s like weā€™re caught in a tornado. Itā€™s disorienting :anguished:

2 Likes

I have a great team of folks and we all want the same. To do the best for children and families. It feels strange but i think It will be ok

2 Likes

I was offered to clean the beer and wine storage cooler at work. Low pay but it got me off the couch. At the end my boss said since we wonā€™t be opening for a while that I could take any of the open wines home with me and throw in a six pack of any beer. Four months ago I wouldā€™ve loved that, I thanked him and said no thanks. Iā€™ll admit Iā€™m surprised I declined.
Starting to not recognize myself, in a good way I guess.

9 Likes

Congratulations
Good for youā€¦way to stick to your sobriety

1 Like

Yes in the end Iā€™m sure everything will be fineā€¦and thatā€™s great you have such a wonderful support system. Makes me miss my family

1 Like