How can I stay sober when I live with someone who drinks?

Hey Kacey. I’m so sorry your having such a rough time with this. Maybe you’re right getting a few more days under your belt being sober will help. You said you got a sponsor. I hope your willing to talk to her about all this. EVERYTHING. Whatever you do just don’t take that first drink. Play it out in your head because you know how it plays out every time. One day at a time. I wish I could give you some better advice or help. I’ll keep praying for ya. You know deep down your a good person and you do deserve better than this. Keep working it your worth it.
If nothing changes nothing changes. And with the grace of God only you can change you. You can’t change anyone else.
God Bless you.
:pray::pray::pray::heart:

1 Like

I drank all weekend…missed work Monday, trying to get myself together this am. Your msg means a lot, thank you

1 Like

:pray::pray::pray:
Please know I would never force my Christian beliefs on anyone. As a matter of fact I’m struggling with my Christianity getting in the way of God.
Anyway.
This passage help me a lot. I memorized it a long time ago after listening to a little girl recite it at the end of a Christian song I was listening to. It brought me to tears hearing that little girls voice. I never saw it coming.
Or was it Gods voice?

1 Like

I’m not doing well today… thanks for your kindness…God has got me… but I need to do my part… I’m not drinking as I write this… hate me

1 Like

You’re not drinking now. And that’s a good thing. One day. One hour one moment at a time. :pray:t2::pray:t2::heart:

I’ve used this a couple of times here already.
It’s true.
And I know my God thinks this of you and all of us.
:point_down:

I don’t care where you’ve been,
and I don’t care what you’ve done.
I want to tell you you’re a wonderful person.
you’re such a good person.
You are beautiful
And You deserve to soar
:pray:t2::heart:

Have you thought about going to a meeting? Calling your sponsor ?

I talked to my sponsor… she supportive I’m just at a loss feel overwhelmed…

Meeting a pastor tomorrow…I’m just really ashamed… drinking a beer hoping I can go back to sleep for a bit

Copied that txt, sent it to my self… I sure dont feel it

@SassyRocks
@anon12657779
@Tess
@JasonFisher
@Dragonflygirl82

Yes fighting addiction can make you feel overwhelmed. It is overwhelming. But I feel that you got to put the beers down because you cannot fight the devil while doing his will. Call your sponsor before you pick up! Get on here and start a new topic that you want a drink right now! Someone is generally around that can reply to you. I’m so sorry it’s this hard for you.
But “if nothing changes, nothing changes”.
And I feel your not changing anything by continuing to drink.
Praying for you and your Pastor to give you guidance.

2 Likes

@anon26827373
@Nordique
Got any words of wisdom to share here.
Sounds like @Knkhorsed really struggling.

1 Like

Thanks… made it to work, feel terrible. Would think that’s enough to stop! Meeting with sponsor tonight.

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear your struggling so much. But that’s great you made it to work, that will at least keep you occupied until you meet with your sponsor.

Unfortunately I don’t have any crazy zen words of wisdom but I can say what has helped me the most is two things…taking sobriety just one day at a time (I know, I’m sure you’ve heard that a million times) and thinking about how much worse drinking will make things.

I tried to read through all of your posts and the responses before posting but maybe I missed if someone already said this…can you try something like marriage counseling? It sounds like maybe it might be serious enough that it could help.

I hope this helps at least a little!!

2 Likes

Im at work. I will post later

1 Like

Thanks he pretty much against counseling… I think he needs to stop drinking as well, but I can only deal with me, and I’m not doing it well!! Just trying to make it through the day.

2 Likes

What’s happening? Why are you drinking. Is it because you partner is drinking?
Reading above the one thing that springs to my mind is you getting out of that environment.
It might sound harsh, but even if it’s just for a bit so you can get comfortable with not drinking.
Just my thoughts reading through.

3 Likes

That’s the question… why do I drink?? He drinks… so I do… I’m annoyed by a million things so I drink… financial stress so I drink… I like the feeling… non of these good reasons… so I drink… life feels too loud… booze turns volume down…

It sounds like he absolutely needs to stop drinking as well but of course that has to be his decision. I hope everything works out for you :slightly_smiling_face:

As to the financial stress…after about 2 months sober I can tell you that without question, sobriety will take away a lot of the financial stress. Especially if you’re spending as much on booze as I used to spend.

2 Likes

I tell myself that and I’ll lose weight!!

1 Like