How do I find a secular sponsor?

I have no idea.

I live in the UK which is largely secular, if I had to align my beliefs with a particular system it would most likely be Buddhism.
I am thinking of getting a 12 step book, got no idea where to start when it comes to finding a sponsor.

4 Likes

You don’t have to believe in anything to get a sponsor. I wouldn’t deem myself religious at all but I practice the 12 steps. All you have to be is open minded and willing to accept a “higher power”

This can be a rock in your garden if you like :blush:

2 Likes

Go to some online meetings and listen out for ones you feel you would feel with… :slight_smile::pray::heart:

3 Likes

I don’t know what I deem my higher power as but I don’t care as it keeps me sober

My AA group as a whole is probably my higher power

2 Likes

Do you go to any meetings? I think if you want to make a connection with a specific person to support you through your recovery, finding a group you gel with would be the way to go. I know some AA groups are still running but lots are online.

As well as AA there is Recovery Dharma and Refuge Recovery (Buddhist inspired) which also have their version of the steps and sponsors (inquiry and mentors). And then there are SMART Recovery groups, which is a CBT inspired approach to recovery. I have also heard about Change Grow Live, but don’t know much about them.

Lots of options! Plus lots of online support etc. More at Resources for our recovery

3 Likes

Where you from in the U.K. mate?

North East

I like the north east meetings ,:pray:

Don’t you ever get nervous about bumping into your boss or something?

If you do you do. You obviously know the same about each other. It’s not a place to judge …we all struggle and are not perfect humans. The important thing is your taking action against the problem to be a better you. If he is there im sure he has the same goals as you do.

3 Likes

It’s anonymous, ‘gossip is damaging’…you go for your self and to help others. :slight_smile:

As others have suggested, what you and your sponsor believe in shouldn’t really matter. The program relies on shared spiritual principles/wisdom but specifically doesn’t require a particular faith. (AA Preamble and Tradition 3.)

I’m a spiritual agnostic but have sponsored those of other faiths.

If it makes you more comfortable though, can just listen for a sponsor you better identify with and ask them for help directly.

There should be websites for AA in your area listing meetings or zooms to attend. Like AA UK:
https://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk/

I am sorry that I don’t have any advice to provide. I wish I lived in an area that was accepting of secularism. Unfortunately, I’m an Atheist living right in the middle of the US Bible Belt, Oklahoma. I assume there could be some groups in Oklahoma for this, but seeking them out would probably require a social media accounts, which I do not have because social media only adds to my stress and anxiety. I do enjoy diversity, so this forum has aided in that respect. However, I would like a place to go that is strictly secular and have thought about starting a group, but unsure where to start. I wonder if a sub group topic could be placed here for secularism?

We’re more about talking recovery than getting into debates about beliefs. But it’s true, the two sometimes overlap. There are threads about it, especially reconciling various recovery programs with different faiths. (Much as AA specifically states it isn’t allied with any belief, the reality doesn’t seem to match in all places…)

You might also like SMART recovery though. It’s a newer program so not as widespread, but I see it has meetings in Edmond, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, and Duncan that are currently held online!

https://www.smartrecoverytest.org/local/

1 Like

Refuge Recovery is a secular Buddhist recovery book. There are online and in person meetings. And I like listening to the podcasts .

2 Likes

I like smart recovery too! They use cognitive behavioral therapy tools that I use all the time.

1 Like

@Eke thanks for the information. I checked out their website. This will be a great outlet for me, but they don’t have any meetings currently in Oklahoma City, maybe it’s due to covid.

Ohhhhh, sorry. You’re right. OK City says “on hiatus.” :pensive: