How do I stop Self Sabotage

Self Sabotage, how many of us here do it to ourselves?

I hoped to be sober 5 days today, but no. My demons took over & I have drank every night this week again! Why do I keep doing this to myself?

It’s 6:30am and I’m sitting in my living room with a thumping headache when I should be on my way to work.

Another day of just ignoring the pink elephant in the room, another day of pretending I don’t have a problem.

:triumph:

10 Likes

Maybe it’s time to make a plan what you are doing tonight after work. Something that doesn’t involve drinking. The first day was the hardest. No matter what hit the pillow sober tonight.

We all started with day one and we all have only today to focus on our sobriety.

:pray::sunflower:

10 Likes

Hi Linda,
It’s tough, but you’ve got to have courage and be determined. You’ve got to want to be better. Then make a plan to work on being better, everyday. Becoming sober is a change in how you choose to live your life. It’s choosing self-love and self-discipline and self-respect over self-sabotage. You are worthy of a happy, joyful and sober life. Take it one day at a time. Seek support. It’s so great that you’re here. Always say “no” to the first drink, then there can’t be a second or third…and so on. And when you’re considering that first, play the tape ALLL the way through! How will you really feel if your drink? What will **really ** end up happening…? Our mind likes to tell us all sorts of lies, glamorizing alcohol like it’s some kind of saviour, when we know the truth, that’s why we’re here!, alcohol is poison and any poison ingested, is gonna do damage.
I used to self-sabotage too, but now, I have 618 days alcohol free, and it feels good.
Sober life = our best life :blush::muscle:

8 Likes

For me, just “not drinking” never worked. I had to figure out the “whys” of drinking. Once I figured that out, then I could address the issues and finally sobriety was truly had. I couldnt do it on my own. I need a program of recovery.

6 Likes

First be proud of yourself that you are asking for help. That’s the start. Now is time for some action. If you have booze in the house, get rid of it! I don’t know many people with a drinking problem that don’t drink if they have it readily available. At least not in the beginning. Next thing you might do when you get home is get on here and get involved before you take that first drink. There are tons of people on here that will talk or just listen if that’s what you need. We can’t do this on our own so don’t take this problem on your shoulders alone. Ultimately it’s up to you and I know you can do this! It starts with the first step and you’ve gotten that over with. Use us and see what happens. You deserve it more than you know.

9 Likes

Fellow Aussie here, not sure where you are but it’s late afternoon/evening so might be worth a try looking into a meeting/information to keep you occupied.

https://aa.org.au/

There are many options (AA or otherwise) to get a bit of local support if you are interested.

All the best :pray:

3 Likes

Thank you everyone for your show of support.

I’m 1 hour off reaching 1 day.

Tonight instead of pouring a wine, a friend and I took our dogs on a big walk. It feels good! It was what I needed.

Now to make it to 3 days!

3 Likes

Thanks so much for that link. I’ll check it out. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I too am sitting here with hangover symptoms before going to work. I just need to stop and focus on the good sober days. I hate the way I feel after drinking and fully remembering all that happened or all I said that I shouldn’t have. :pensive: I know I have a problem and need to work on it.

1 Like

No that you’re not alone & that we will get through this. Reach out if you need to talk. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you. So far so good. Had my civid vaccine and feeling very tired for a couple days. Plus I just dont feel like drinking when feeling this way. I guess that’s a good thing.

Hi guys. Another Aussie here. Sober 2 days this time. I got to 10 days and relapsed. Drank 2 bottles of sparkling in record time and was so sick the entire next day. I’m so happy to be back in charge. One day at a time. Gently gently. :seedling:

1 Like