How long until

Hi all…
How long did it take for you to start feeling good or notice a difference in yourself? I’m on day 1 and I’m just wondering what to expect and what to look forward to.

5 Likes

Things got way better after the first 10 days and the cravings stopped! Then in the next month started to feel more rested, energetic, overall mood got better & less depressed /anxious, better memory, more tolerance, less snappy etc and only improving on all those since!

2 Likes

2 weeks for me , my sleep settled down and my anxiety started to diminish . Hang in there, its so worth it!x

2 Likes

For me it was the second I stepped into rehab. I was ready to change and willing to change. That is what made me feel better and it is what has made me strong. But gaming withdrawals are a lot different from substance withdrawals

2 Likes

So good to hear you’re feeling strong. Hope you’re doing well - good on you - it must be hard!

2 Likes

The gaming was very hard at first, but 446 days in, I barely crave. Especially now that the schools are closed and I don’t have to stare at people gaming the entire time. I do still struggle a lot with other recreational technology, but that’s getting better too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Its different for everyone but for me, after a night of drinking, it takes closer to 2 weeks to feel good and normal again.
I have never had withdrawals before but it takes time for me to let go of the shame and anxiety/over thinking etc.

1 Like

Hey Dee,

Me personally I started to notice a difference in a month. I noticed I had more energy at that point, I slept better, and I had a more positive spirit.

That doesn’t mean I didn’t have the whisper…the internal nudge to just “have a couple”…I still get that, but because of the strides that I clearly see in myself I think I’m that much more mindful to fight that voice.

My skin looks brighter too…always a plus lol!

I hope that helps a little😀

1 Like

Amazing!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Day one was ok, I’ve had a lot of “days off” from drinking so nothing new there.
Day two was a little rough. I got comfy on the couch.
I was really on edge on Day Three, spent the day on the couch.
Day Four was the worst, still on the couch.
Day Five felt a little better, finally got up off the couch.
Day Six felt pretty good, I’d say I was maybe 60%
Day Seven was the first time I smiled in a week.

Each day I felt a little better than the previous.
By 2 weeks I felt pretty good.
By 30 days I felt pretty amazing.
Each day after I have felt amazing.

It might seem daunting, looking up at the mountain you’re about to climb, I know it was for me. But considering that I spent over a decade waking up every morning feeling like shit and having to try maintaining a normal productive life, a couple weeks of pain was worth the remaining lifetime of pure joy that sobriety has provided, 100%.

3 Likes

How amazing are you?! Wow - well done!!

As I’ve tried to sleep, I’ve been a bit jolty - a bit like when you feel like you’re falling in a dream. That’s happened a fair bit. Also I seem to have swollen and hot hands.

Im looking forward to better times though.

1 Like

To me in a 2 days im phisically fine but to stop thinking about the next cocaine binge i need about 3 weeks. After 1-2months i dont even remember it exists and think how crazy i was to enjoy that shit. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

When I was just starting out on my sober journey I would read this all the time! It helped me push thru to the next day and the next, and on.
https://www.verywellmind.com/is-this-normal-how-long-will-it-last-80197

Bye for now…

1 Like

Congrats on the best decision in your life, make sure to stay hydrated and keep the mind busy

1 Like

For me, I was giving up drugs an alcohol at the same time. I was an everyday drinker (often in the morning as well as evening…or all day) and used cocaine weekly, and some other drugs when available.
When I quit I had been drinking and using steadily for the last few weeks. My first few days were like one terrible hangover. A lot of throwing up and shaking etc. I lived on the couch and drank Gatorade and ate saltines. The next month or so I had a pretty significant steady headache, get shaky, out of it and low energy (even though MENTALLY…I was ALREADY becoming someone that I could be proud of. I cannot tell you how much this made the physical withdrawals easier. I would say it took about six months for the bodily aches and pains I was feeling to subside mostly. And a good 18months to 2 years for my sleep cycle to really regulate itself. I’m three years and change sober right now. All I can say is that…while it took a while for my ship to get right again, I had to honor that it was because I had taken my ship WAY off track. Every SINGLE day since I have gotten sober has been a step in the right direction though, of that I am sure. And…I have NEVER felt the level of shame, regret, anxiety, and dread that I did that fateful morning a little over three years ago when I decided to take my life back.

No matter the timeline, it IS worth it.:yellow_heart:

4 Likes

Great post

2 Likes

Hey welcome just take it one day at a time. It would probably help knowing what your doc was to help give you more experience with a timeline, if its opiates i could give you some advice/personal experience. If its alcohol Laura’s reply is probably what you wanna refer to. Again welcome, hope to see you around!

1 Like

I was a binge drinker so it was mainly psychological for me. I noticed a difference in myself in terms of my mindset towards alcohol after a couple of months, after a lot of reading here and other recovery resources (some great stuff here >> Resources for our recovery). Not to say I never thought about drinking again after that, but it got easier.

In hindsight I think I had a bit of a pink cloud thing going in early sobriety which I think is good to be aware of… Cos I fell off with a bit of a bump when life became life again :see_no_evil:

I have found sobriety to be a deep dive into mental health issues. There’s been a bit more to untangle than I realised, so it’s not been all rainbows and unicorn farts! But I am getting to know myself in a way I never expected and even when it’s hard it’s definitely worth it.

Plus the recovery community is awesome!

1 Like

It’s tough the first few weeks mentally. Alcohol for me was a cure for my anxiety and depression. Which I’m return eventually made me more anxious and depressed. Your emotions maybe be a little all over the place but don’t worry it will pass. What works for me is staying busy. Whether it’s going to AA meeting, working out, reading, or listening to a positive podcast. But I make sure I don’t sit and let my mind wonder too much because I’m my own worst enemy. I notice since I have been doing this, my anxiety and depression have gotten a little better everyday. That’s what works for me, and if you decide to give it a try I hope it works for you. Progress not perfection! Keep moving in the right direction, you got this! Proud of you for taking the next step to better your life and live a happy sober one.

1 Like