How old were you when you became sober? What was your reason?

I was 29. A binge drinker with a history of recreational drugs in the mix.

I had another one of those nights, not the worst but enough to feel a huge wave of relief when my boyfriend asked if I thought it might be time to take a break from the booze.

When it cam to it though I was totally terrified and couldn’t imagine a life without alcohol in it. Found this forum and realised that I had a lot in common with people who I considered ‘proper addicts’ (daily drinkers and drug users who had experienced serious consequences from their using). Leaned in and realised I have enough shit to work on without adding the fallout from drugs and alcohol into the mix.

Life isn’t perfect in sobriety, it doesn’t fix everything, but it doesn’t make things worse and for me drinking definitely did!

11 Likes
  1. id been miserable for quite some time. i couldnt imagine continuing on much longer the way i was, but also couldnt imagine getting through a day without drinking/using. just turned 34 and have been grateful to wake up every day😊
7 Likes

I am 60. My daughter-who was my person-stopped talking to me. She has blocked my messages and calls. I also want to wake up each morning feeling like me. I am 21 days sober.

13 Likes
  1. Lock down here in VA started on my birthday and I was always a heavy drinker, but Covid gave me an excuse to drink earlier and earlier in the day.
    My son has been my driver. My mood had shifted, I was mean, angry and bitter and I could see my son’s mood shifting. How can I show him how to handle his emotions at 3 years old when at 38 years old I can’t even do that for myself??
    Also have always been healthy growing up and now 38 with high blood pressure and on medication. It’s all from drinking.
11 Likes

got sober because id be dead if i continued was sick of being sick i was 34 im 69 next sat still sober best move i ever did going to AA

22 Likes

Inspiring ray :fist:

1 Like

52 yrs , because I still have dreams and, they were not acheivable unless I got sober. The past is gone today and the future is all we have.

8 Likes

I was 51,was ready to actually live life, instead of fantasizing about it every night.I new it was destroying my body,and if I didn’t stop there wouldn’t be any adventures for me in the future.
I truly wish I would have quit earlier,now I find myself trying to cram it all in during the second half of my life.

12 Likes
  1. I was really good at drinking. Like well-behaved and protected my career with a passion. I never had a proper, dramatic rock bottom. The first time I stopped (Jan 2020), I did it because I was afraid that I would let the alcohol impact my work if I kept drinking. This time (sep 2020), I stopped because I realized that I could not be a functional alcoholic and live the life that I wanted for myself. It was just time to stop. Nothing more dramatic than that, I guess.
8 Likes

33 years old ,I lost my mom to cancer and i know she wanted me sober I was selfish and didn’t give her that gift while she was alive the guilt drove me crazy but I pray to God and I like to do is be sober now and permanently and I know she’s watching down and she’s proud of me I’m 19 Days Inn all I can do is go forward and hold my head up no guilt or thing about I wish or I could have just right now in this moment keep moving stay strong don’t look in the past look forward right now. stay sober u can do it

10 Likes

I was 37, if I calculated correctly. :crazy_face: I will be turning 40 sometime this year, who knows. Anyway, the most important thing for me to quit is that otherwise I would be dead due to suicide.

9 Likes

I became sober at 59,I’ll be 60 this summer. The reason I became sober i had a heart attack in my sleep a week before Christmas. I’ve had heart problems for a long time,but I was to hard headed to listen to the warning signs of doing cocaine with a bad heart. Unfortunately me having a heart attack woke me up. I’m back and forth to the doctor,will have to have a defrillbalator inplant. But you know what…I’m still alive and have the opportunity to change my life around…stay strong,stay positive and keep the faith!:grinning::100::pray:t5:

11 Likes

35 now I’m 36 ^.^

3 Likes

I’m 39 and this time it feels like it’ll work. Don’t know how long I’ve been trying, maybe about three years, punctuated with relapses including a major low when my closest friend died. I wish I hadn’t dealt with it that way but I can’t change it now.

I chose to stop because it was taking its toll on my health mentally and physically, I could see that the only way was down and it was only a matter of time before it would take its toll on my work and other aspects of life. I wanted back a form of life, my hobbies and also I’m doing everything possible to try and get back physical energy which i have not had for about two years now.

7 Likes

34 my health and kids

4 Likes

I’ve become sober numerous times, but my realization for alcoholism came when I was 17 or so. I’m 26 now. That’s a somber thought. Hoping this time it sticks. Hang in there, my friend. Binge drinking sucks - especially when you couple it with a bender of a few days, a week, several weeks, or a month or more. You got this. Go through the withdrawal. Seek medical help if it starts getting bad - really, you’ll thank yourself later.

I always said it sucks that you’re being punished for doing the right thing but, once you’re on the other side, it feels so much better. You’re not happy at first, but you know it feels right. Reach out to any one of us if you need anything. Again, hang in there.

5 Likes

43 when I started, relapsed for months then back at it 527 days so far. Decided enough is enough! Sick and tired of being sick and tired. :raised_hands:t2::two_hearts:

6 Likes

I was 46 when i really tried the first time - the first time was a gift - it came to me relatively easily. I had teenaged daughters at the time and I wanted them to be proud of me. I wanted to give them a good example while they were making tough life choices at that age.
I had 5+ years of good sobriety, working the AA program and enjoying life. Somewhere along the way, I rationalized that I was taking it all too seriously and I must be better at moderating, by now… what a fool I was.
I’ve spent the past 6 yrs struggling to get back on track - it is WAY HARDER to get sober again than it was to stay sober. It gets harder every time I tried. I am almost 58 now and ashamed and angry that I wasted all that time.

8 Likes

Another one at my age. Your a tad older than I but yet another 82 baby.

I understand the health thing I just had a 2nd set of labs drawn for possible diabetes and thyroid function. I’m like um wth I never had this issue why now??

2 Likes

I’m 34 and this is day 2 of me being sober. For me I know it’s not healthy and I have a lot to live for. So I needed to straighten out my life and not drink 3 bottles of wine every night. And enough of the excuses telling myself I was drinking just so I can sleep.

5 Likes