How old were you when you became sober? What was your reason?

I’ll be 36 next month. For years I’ve considered becoming sober and joined AA once and stopped drinking for about 4 months. Now I’m back to binge drinking :weary:

8 Likes

First time round I was 28. And the reason why was because alcohol and heroin are bad for you…

I’m now nearly 31 and I don’t want to die anymore or hurt anyone ever again.

14 Likes

I was 26. Ive come to the realization that I have no other choice but to not drink. Its live or die. I’m 28 now

11 Likes

I was 37 years and 2 days old.

I quit to better relationships with my family and friends, high blood sugar, cholesterol , blood pressure.

I quit so that I would stop putting myself and others at risk while behind the wheel.

I quit to be a better example to my kids.

7 Likes

I was 34. Sobriety is a great decision! Hope you find the support you need.

8 Likes

1st kick at it was 16 yrs old when I went to a youth treatment centre. Then 21 yrs old (meth and cocaine) when I went to treatment again and was introduced to NA. Managed to get 3 years clean. Relapsed. 28 yrs old when I tried treatment again for iv drug use (hydromorphine). Was in and out of treatment a couple more times due to constant relapsing. I am 37 now. Still plugging away at it :smiley: I have hope for a better future. One without drugs. I’ve never been a big drinker but I don’t want to start and change addictions.
I want to quit for many reasons. There’s just way more to life than this. Even though I would say I’m a somewhat functioning addict (unlike before), it still causes huge problems. I want better for myself…

10 Likes

I was 56 when I got sober. Best decision I ever made for myself and my mental, emotional and physical health.

Why? I was 56, I drank and drugged for 40+ years. It gets worse, a lot worse, as you age.

17 Likes

I quit my main addiction, gaming, when I was 16 because I was breaking my mom’s heart through all the lying. And I really hated myself.

7 Likes

33 right now, 6 days ago when I started this journey :heart: 34 next month on the 18th! I stopped, so I could make it to all my next birthdays

10 Likes

did you get a sponsor and do everything they told you every day without fail, miss a prayer here and the odd meeting there, forget gratitude lists and the just for today bc you were cured.
If I stop doing what works I’ll drink within 2 weeks I’m sure of it.

4 Likes

Where do I start.

I stopped at 23 cause I had a son.
No AA nothing like that, kept on the boat till about 28, lost everything in the financial crisis and fell out, quit again early 30s and then slowly drove down the pit of alcoholism for the last few years, at 37 started working a program and learning I couldn’t go at it alone.

7 Likes

Attempted at age 40, now sober at age 42, First sober birthday coming up on the 24th.

10 Likes

17 year old me decided to quit heroin after i broke up with my abusive boyfriend at the time. I only got through that relationship alive because of heroin and decided that there was no real point to continue after seeing what the drug did to my mother.

18 year old me decided to quit cutting after it became apparent that self-harm was no longer serving me the way i once did.

19 year old me decided to quit injecting acetone and alcohol after getting nerve damage.

(I’m currently 19)

8 Likes

I stopped at 27 very abruptly because some rock bottoms will hit you instantly without warning. I had 9 months yesterday. I started using when I was around 12 and never looked back. You don’t realize the consequences of drinking in active addiction. You don’t understand how easily you can hurt people.
A lot of you know my story, but I stopped drinking and doing cocaine the day I got in a car accident that was responsible for the death of my friend. You don’t think it will happen to you, but it does. The only way to prevent anything like that to happen, is to stop drinking.

20 Likes

I was 29 when I got sober. Now 30, I tried killing myself 3 times but really two were good attempts. I got 3 dwis I was lazy fat and useless. I wasn’t taking care of my daughters and I was just sick of being sick. Life is good now.

16 Likes

At 25 years old last year ! Best damn decision ive ever made in my life :pray::pray::fire: LETS GOOOO !!!

12 Likes

I’m 28 - quit 6 months ago :slight_smile:
I had been abusing alcohol / drugs for about 5 years, mostly based around partying / bar culture, binge drinking and alarmingly frequent black outs.

9 Likes

I’m 90 days tomorrow and I’m 51its the first time I’ve attempted going full on no more alcohol. I have 2 grandkids 2 boys 6 and 7 and they are the apples of my eye. And my daughter is a singal parent so I’m a big part in the boys life. And I’m not going to let them boys down no way.

12 Likes

I have stopped drinking lots of times. This time I was 45. I have now been sober for 15 months and I feel confident in my sobriety. This time I think I reached a point where I just got enough of hangovers and blackouts + I had to think about my kids, I really don’t want them to grow up with a drunk mom.

13 Likes

My reason was I knew I’d end up offing myself. I was too depressed as a person to continue with my habit without self destruction worse and worse each time. (I was a bad cutter)
221 days sober.

10 Likes