How old were you when you became sober? What was your reason?

I am an addict and alcoholic. It was a learned behavior from birth. I’ve had numerous family members and friends die from using or a result of consequences from the life style. I’ve made more attempts to be sober and clean than I care to count. Clean from meth since 2013, 34 years old. I’m 47 and have been sober from alcohol 3 weeks tomorrow. I don’t want to leave my youngest without a parent. Alcohol took his fathers life at 49, when my son was 5 years old. My older kids 27 & 23 have only begun to build a relationship with their father, who spent the majority of their lives behind bars because of drugs. It’s imperative I stop the cycle, if it isn’t too late to show my kids a different lifestyle outside drugs and booze.

7 Likes

I decided, for the last time, to get sober one day before my 47th birthday. My mother died at 69, far too young, and I started to notice I was developing some of the early health issues that my mother had so I realized I need to make some changes NOW so I don’t die young too. I want to live.

7 Likes

45 in April 11 years with a drink problem …stopped drinking, again in June last year …why ? cause its my last chance saloon …next stop is jail or a coffin …

4 Likes

I was 51, about 5 months shy of my 52nd birthday. I’ll hit the double-nickle in a few more months. I quit because I didn’t want to lose everything good in my life, before it finally killed me.

10 Likes

~25, and 30, and 33, and this time 36.

First few didn’t take, but I wasn’t really done. At least for today, going on 39, I got no interest in going back.

Why? Honestly, I realized my drinking was me waiting for death instead of trying to live. One night I decided to give living a shot.

I get the fuss now. It’s pretty great actually.

9 Likes

I was 36 when i made my first real attempt and 41 when i finally quit. I’m 42 now and am coming up on 15 months sober. I quit because it was killing me, I don’t intend on going back… i sure as hell won’t today.

3 Likes

but I wasn’t really done

That’s why I started quitting at age 27 and got sober at 44 years, 10 months and 3 weeks.

I finally got sober because I desperately wanted to stop and Some Thing came to me and told me 'Everything is gonna be alright, and you’ll be able to stop drinking now '.

And getting arrested for DUI 5 helped some, too.

8 Likes

I quit this year for new years. So 34. I have tried quitting in the past and never seemed to make it past 3 days. I am very determined now and this time feels different. I needed to quit because it was quickly getting out of control. I tried just drinking on weekends but would always end right back to drinking every day. So I decided I can’t casually drink I need to never drink again. My family deserved better. My body deserved better.

5 Likes

Yes they do and most importantly you deserve the best that life has to offer!..stay strong, stay positive and keep the faith :grinning::100::pray:t5:

2 Likes

50 years old, addiction had taken over my life and I was in a slow and painful spiral of destruction. I knew if I would turn my life and will over the care of a higher power and focused on my recovery with all I had that life would get better, I’ve seen it in other people. Asking myself why not me?
Hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life, but it has also been the best decision I’ve ever made. On September 27th 2017 I made the decision to never use or drink again and do whatever it takes to achieve that.
Tonight I have 1210 days continuously clean and sober. I am a resident manager of a sober living home. I work with other alcoholics and addicts to achieve sustained sobriety and life goals. It’s the most rewarding thing I have ever done in life. I have peace and serenity now like I’ve never experienced. Living life on life’s terms one day at a time, one hour at a time, even one breath at a time. Much love and respect to all. :heart:

8 Likes

30 when i finally decided to go to rehab, im currently in here still and today is my 190 days. Its mental to even think im this clean after so many failed attemps and relapses. Cut the long story short, my 6 months is nearly up and ill be completed in middle of febuary! That 6 months went too quick, cant wait fir my new foundation of a journey :blush::blush::blush::blush:

7 Likes

Thanks laura . :blush:

1 Like