How to answer "why aren't you drinking?"

I’m 15 days sober. I’m not a daily drinker …and 9 times out of 10 I can drink in moderation. But there’s always that 1 time where I just don’t stop and drink and drink until I blackout. I’ve been very fortunate that nothing bad has happened but I know if I continue it will. I’ve lost my mother and a brother in part to alcohol… And I don’t want to be another tragedy for my family. I’m certain most everyone will be surprised when I do have the conversation that I have quit drinking but I’m not ready to tell everyone yet. Recently over the holidays I successfully survived a multitude of holiday parties without drinking and without question but the night after Christmas we hosted siblings over for our tradition of game night and one of my sister’s just would not stop asking me why I wasn’t drinking and just kept saying " you must be pregnant". Anyways, I have a dinner planned with my sisters again this next week and I know when I don’t order a wine the questions are going to start again. I want to be honest with them but on my own terms. Any suggestions on a good response?

4 Likes

My drinking habits were similar to yours and I stopped for similar reasons. My sister also asked me at Christmas if I was pregnant! I just said no, and told them I wasn’t feeling it that day which seemed to stop the questions. I’ve heard others suggest saying you’re on antibiotics if someone is persistent and you don’t feel ready to say you quit or putting non alcoholic drinks in a wine glass. Down the road I plan to tell my family that I feel better when I’m not drinking so decided to stop and hope they are respectful of that. Good luck!

1 Like

How about “I just don’t want to”? Why do we owe anyone an explanation?

15 Likes

Try… “Im detoxing right now and am refreshing my body.” When they say how long, just say I dont know but that it is what you are doing. Easy. If they dont get it then you need new friends that do! Hope this helps!!

1 Like

My reason, which is actually true, “I’m allergic I breakout in a rash and it triggers my IBS”. The reactions are priceless and soon shuts them up :blush:

4 Likes

Like @Serenity007I tell the truth, somewhat. I say that alcohol hurts my stomach lately so I’m taking a break. Nobody wants to hear a long gross IBS story lol.

2 Likes

Doesn’t sound good if you’re getting stomach pains from drinking. I get severe cramps and headache, so couldn’t drink even if I wanted to…lol

After a while drinking too much really messes up your digestion system. Stomach, gallbladder, pancreas and liver. I’m glad I’m catching it early, but yes when I drink I feel it for days afterwards.

1 Like

Because I made a personal choice to better myself.

People wont ask questions after that. Who can argue with bettering yourself.

7 Likes

My symptoms occurred occasionally and for the time the alcohol was in my system. I hope a 90 day juice detox in the new year will heal my system. Drinking is overrated and damaging, I am glad to be rid of it.

4 Likes

My favorite one is I’m driving.

7 Likes

If it’s a situation where I don’t feel comfortable explaining all of my personal reasons, I just say “because I don’t like the way it makes me feel anymore and it leaves me feeling depressed”. I’ve never had anyone push for more info after saying that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just say, “it’s a waste of good health and my time.”

3 Likes

Ask “why are you drinking?” :grin:

13 Likes

…or “because I don’t want to”

4 Likes

Last time I said, “because I feel much better not drinking”.

5 Likes

I like the truth. And keep it simple. ‘I began to struggle with alcohol, and now l am happy to be free from that burden.’

It may seem odd, but I look forward to a chance to answer questions.

5 Likes

It’s amazing that anyone would have to justify NOT drinking but I have been there. And I’ve used most of the reasons listed in this thread over time depending on who was doing the asking. I mean, it’s one thing to explain to a close friend about the way I really drank. It’s another to say that to an acquaintance at a party.

7 Likes

I do hate that my husband never gets asked why he’s not drinking… no one even notices if he’s drinking water. But if I don’t have a wine in my hand everyone is alarmed. I shouldn’t be that surprised by it though he’s not the one with a problem. It does really bother me though that it’s automatically assumed since I’m a woman and I’m of child bearing age that the only logical explanation is that I’m pregnant. Ugh. Why can’t i just not be drinking? My sister just wouldn’t let it go, part of me wanted to tell her but this was not the appropriate time especially with my 3 young nieces present.

1 Like

Yes we upset the normal state of things when we no longer want to stay on the role assigned to us, i.e. the “life of the party” or the “drunk.”

5 Likes