How to find a sponsor?

I’m wondering if it’s possible to find a sponsor without going to meetings?

1 Like

I’m right there with yall

1 Like

Other options/ideas are therapy, a life coach who has a lengthy recovery under their belt, group therapy, reading books on recovery, listening to addiction podcasts, look up videos in YouTube…

My point being that I invite you to reach far and wide and surround yourself with as much education and support from as many sources as possible. Books, people, documentaries, counseling, therapy, etc.

I attend an IOP group as well as AA. My counselor for the group is far better than the previous one I had. He is not an alcoholic or addict, my previous counselor was an alcoholic with 18 years sober. I can relate to him much better than I did her.

1 Like

I would say if your trying to find someone to work the steps with online. u can try intherooms.com or search for online meetings. Maybe trying those are an option?

3 Likes

Your opinion is interesting to me… thanks for your input.

1 Like

How do you suppose you can find an AA sponsor without going to AA? You can definitely find other supportive people outside of the rooms, or I suppose if you already know someone in the rooms you can ask them (they will tell you to go to meetings). The whole purpose of a sponsor is to take you through the 12 steps. To fully understand the steps we go to meetings to hear everyone’s experience strength and hope

I feel like everyone is getting defensive about the meetings. It’s not that I don’t want to go I just have a hard time getting to them at 7 am bc my husband is gone for work by then and I have two Littles. That’s what time they are near me… I want to go through the process the right way but it’s hard without the meetings.

3 Likes

I’m just saying maybe a different support system would work better? There’s plenty of different types of recovery, but to work AA and the steps with a sponsor you need to go to at least some meetings.

I have always been told that whatever I put before my sobriety I will lose and so far it’s been true. I never let a stupid thing like work or paying bills or my family get in the way of my drinking and drugging so I better be willing to do whatever it takes to get sober.

1 Like

Maybe it’s been addressed already but I personally have not been to a meeting where kids are not welcome. And I’ve chased quite a few meetings. But truly I don’t know how to find a sponsor without being involved in AA in some way. I don’t know if you have looked at NA or CA in your area but some of those are at different times. But the sponsor/sponsee relationship is a relationship it usually starts with you hearing a person share and seeing the program they work. And you want what they have. I hope you find what you are looking for.

2 Likes

It isn’t you.

This is a topic that should be in the pinned post at the to to help everyone looking for information on this topic.

Sometimes it seems like many want sponsor without meetings “To the tune of Meatloafs song… :musical_note:We would do anything for sobriety, but I won’t do that :musical_note:

Edit: perhaps a good way to get started is the online meetings if the only meetings are then. Perhaps maybe you can find one on a weekend when the SO can look after the kiddos?

2 Likes

I feel you. I’m away from home from 7:45 am until 9:00 pm. I still need to eat, sleep, do chores, and run errands in my free time. Meetings are basically not an option for me. Well wishes to you. There are other ways :heart:️:pray:

1 Like

Thank you for this!

1 Like

Hi pal! Trust me when I say that no one is judging you here. It may have come off as defensive but that’s just because there have been people in the past that that have wanted a sponsor but did not want to go to meetings. And like others have stated, that’s just not how in works.

So please don’t fret😉 I’m glad that You are in the right place and asking the right questions. So keep coming back!!

2 Likes

And a direct answer to your question… You find a sponsor at a meeting:)

1 Like

I guess this was the conversation I was trying to have. Maybe I didn’t go about it the right way… I didn’t even consider bringing the children! I had no idea that was even an option. Great idea. I am going to try one tomorrow am! Thank you guys sorry if I came off offensive. I truly didn’t intend for that to happen!

3 Likes

Thank you!!! Xoxoxo

1 Like

I will do that. Thank you!!

1 Like

We have a mascot baby at my home group. She’s 5 months old and adorable. I know a lot of kids who were “raised” in the rooms. Honestly they say it takes a village to raise a child and AA would love to be that village. The old timers seem to love watching the kids and parents grow in the program. Also it may help the kids make better decisions than we did in the future lol. And if not they will definitely know where to go.

2 Likes