How to Get Sober Again

I really need some help from someone that has been through this. I have been trying to get sober from drinking for so long and I don’t feel like I can do it again. I enjoy the feeling of being drunk sooo much. I have times when I black out, when I get in trouble from my family because I will try to hide it and they can tell. I want to stop and “be normal”. How do you not drink when it’s become what you are used to doing?

1 Like

Hi Megan! I have been trying in some way, shape or form for years. The mods will reply with the most helpful threads of resources. Glad you are here. This is a challenging time to get and stay sober, but it’s the right time.

2 Likes

here is a good thread to read over. this forum has a lot of people staying sober and living better lives w many different approaches to their recoveries. whatever you decide to do to change if you fully engage in it good things will come :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hello! I drank for over 2 decades…thought I enjoyed it. Hindsight, i didnt…it allowed me to “numb” my feelings, ignore how I felt, and blame an inanimate object for my problems.

2 Likes

That is not a simple question to answer. I think it’s different for everyone.
But I can tell you what has helped me.

Here are the things that helped me so far:

• No alcohol in my house
  • Refrigerator filled with nice food and alc. free drinks
  • Telling my spouse about my sober plan
  • Avoid alcohol related activities and friends (at least in the beginning)
  • Having a day counter
  • Avoid wine/beer section in the supermarket and avoid liquor store
  • Taking a strong vitamine B complex
  • Taking melatonin to help me sleep
  • Be gentle to myself, like go to bed early, taking a long bath, etc.
  • Doing relaxing activaties like meditate, yoga, walking, etc.
  • When I have cravings: I don’t pick up that first one but I walk, run, work out, eat chocolat, watch Netflix, clean, study, whatever.
  • Ask for help when I need it.
  • Be here every day to read and check in sober.

Drinking alcohol is an addiction and a habit. By replacing alcohol by another activaty it can help you overcome the craving. So make a plan what to do on the times you usually start drinking.
They say it takes at least 3 months to change a habit so give it time.
Come here if you need it, we’re here for you!! :heart:
Ps almost two years sober, hope that incourage you. You can do that too! :facepunch:

7 Likes

And what about what comes with it? The other things you mentioned?

A great starting point I was given was to write that out. All the ways drinking has made life miserable for me and those around me. All the aftermath. All the ways it was holding me back.

And more than that, what I hoped might change if I could just stay sober instead. Health. Relationships. Finances. Dreams.

How much better might they all be if I dropped the bottle and grabbed onto life again?

Just writing it out was a life changer. Reading it whenever I forgot saved me from picking up more than once.

4 Likes

I loooooooooooooooved being drunk and drinking and couldnt imagine any other way.

From a career drinker I can tell you that I love sobriety much better. Give it a chance for a few weeks and see how it fits on you.

I realized I didnt really love being drunk it was just what I was used to.

3 Likes

I’m on the same boat buddy. Don’t be in depression all the time even though sometimes I want my life ended cause of the situation I am in drinking to much. I am not doing drugs thank God but I can say Alcohol, booze or whatever you want to call it is just as bad an easily can become addicted and turn into an alcoholic easily and will die slowly or worse drink to much and vomit while asleep an.example and drown in it instantly or many other ways of it (so many story’s of it) I can’t personally enjoy myself with an normal life unless I am not drinking (spirit drinker) Now I’m thinking go lighter with beer drinking until I sober up and save myself hopefully.
Take care of yourself buddy, drinking constantly is seriously an dangerous way of life !

1 Like

This is wonderful thank you

1 Like

I have had some success with Antabuse when I needed to stay sober, typically while I was serving some probation or other court ordered condition. And when I got permanently sober, my first month I used Antabuse as my primary tool.

My “buyer beware” message is that it helped me to not drink. And not drinking is a necessary but not sufficient condition for sobriety. It kept me dry but not sober, if you follow my meaning. But I really needed it to help me stop and get some physical separation from booze.

2 Likes

I’m thinking about asking for a prescription for Antabuse. It’s such a struggle for me during this pandemic. I’m alone every other week without my kids. I’m walking a few nights a week with friends. Go to lots on AA zoom meetings.

1 Like