How to get the creative juices flowing again

So I’ve been off the devil’s lettuce for almost 3 months now Ill be 39 in February I’ve been blazing since I was 11.ive always painted stoned wether it be on weed or some substance,now I’m sober idk my creativity is gone ik I had it before 11 I’ve been painting since I was 4-5.i really have no drive or desire to paint and tbh it’s really the only thing I have at the moment any tips folks?

2 Likes

Can you find a mentor to help elevate your art skills? Or maybe take a class.

I started to learn to play the guitar using a (paid) app. It’s helped my creativity in other areas as well. Do you have access to any instruments? The app i use has lessons for piano, ukulele and a few others.

What about youtube, find tutorials on different styles from your own. Or work with different mediums.

1 Like

Maybe just start by putting your paint and paper in front of you and see where you go. It’s like working out, sometimes i have zero motivation but if I just start i usually end up having a good workout. And anything is better than nothing when rebuilding a habit/ routine.

3 Likes

i’d read something kinda related. it was talking about how just getting involved in the act is the important part, and engaging regularly. it was talking about not waiting for inspiration or a creative mood to strike, but more importantly cultivating a habit of doing it. just going through the motions might help you get the wheels turning. like mentioned, similar to working out or any type or practiced skill, just get going on it regularly and you’ll probably find it comes easier. i hope so at least!

congratulations on your clean time, that’s bad ass. it’s pretty tough in the beginning 'cause we’re all out of sorts, but stick with it and you’ll find the results your looking for :slight_smile:

also - we have a few art threads on here, i’m sure folks would like to see whatever you get up to :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmm I fully relate to this. Both creativity and motivation to write music post weed (started when I was 13, gave up age 34).

I’ve basically had to force it. It’s like a muscle. The more I sit in front of my computer and write, the more creative I get.

The real problem is when I was stoned I could and would just sit at my computer all day and get into a zone. Now I struggle to sit still for long.

So my output has been reduced BUT I have written some of my best stuff weed-free so you definitely CAN…

3 months clean time is still relatively short given how long your weed life is so take your time man and know it can be done. Pick them brushes up and just paint man, even though you feel you don’t want to, you eventually will love it again.

2 Likes

I just started drawing a collage it helped.i was gonna go paint a wall but it started raining so at least I had the desire after starting the collage.i put the cigarettes down gonna wait a day and start jogging again that always makes me feel better mentally idk I haven’t been doing that from the get go 🤦cheers for the advice lovely people!

looking at it from a fysiological point of view I guess it is just a matter of opening up and building new neurological highways.
It has been proven, read some great artical about this, that especially alcohol makes a lot of subconcious neurological connections related to emotions and creativity.
that is why maybe some patterns of music, art etc are so entwined with emotions and this spiralling into a state of… well you know :wink:
for me for example. abandonment is one of those feelings, related to music and emotions I could only proces with drinking. and when I drank… this is the most insane example I can ever give :grimacing: I would tap into this creativity of making yoga squenses (go figure) with music for different themes. very daring and creative. But now sober, or then hung over I would lack the confidence because that train of thought got lost or lost its magic.
when I felt stuk in this critical voice the easy way would be to indulge, but know I know also from scientific point of view that it will only help develop the unhealthy highways. So I have to build new ones. and for the moment they are not that creative and cover safe grounds while I work on opening up this subconscious part that I did not dare to enter sober before (trauma, but also the megalomanic drunk me) Me personally I use dynamic breathwork now and ecstatic dance. both way out of my comfort zone, but it is helping me.
Hoping the two ways will meet somewhere someday.
I hope you find your way back into it. creativity is so important and helpful for all of us. Spread it :wink:

1 Like