How to motivate myself to stay strong

Hi there everyone. I’ve tried many time to quit alcohol. Sometimes lasting a day. Others a couple of weeks. Never seemed to make it past there. Never been much of an issue. But now I can feel it’s taking over my life. It’s time for me to make a change. And focus on the good parts of being sober

6 Likes

Welcome to Talking Sober and welcome to your sobriety Adam! In my experience and opinion continued sobriety is not a matter of staying strong, but instead a matter of having the right mindset, which is created and maintained by having the right tools.

First one is having the right support. For me peer support is key. I found that right here at this forum, but it may be very helpful to visit face to face meetings too. Just as long as we don’t try to do it alone. That’s exactly what we did when drinking, it was us and alcohol against the world. Living sober instead means looking for connection, and to start of for connection with people who know what’s going on in the first place.

Another important tool is knowledge. Know thy enemy. Learn about addiction, about alcohol, about ways of getting and staying sober. Know about a life without booze. Knowledge is power.

Personally there were some deep rooted causes for my drinking. I started psychotherapy after I became sober and I’m still doing it, working on myself, on my issues, instead of trying to drink them away. That never worked. Growing as a human being now, one sober day at a time.

Sobriety is work, but it’s a work of love. And we can all do it. Just not alone. Happy you’re here friend, together we’re strong! All success to you.

3 Likes

Try a meeting they might help ,helped me wish you well

Tha ks. Currently trying to locate my local meetings that I can attend

1 Like

Welcome to the community Adam.

It is not an easy road to recovery but it is definitely worth it. Are you doing anything to help you stay sober?

• Are you going to meetings (in person or online)
  • Would you be open to a sponsor (can find available sponsors at the in person meetings)
  • have you removed all alcohol from your home (not always possible if you are sharing a space but good move if you can manage it)
  • Change up routine(s) so that you are not associating times of day and tasks with drinking
  • Change up social circles so you do not feel triggered

I do love this community for all its support and great advice. Take your time to read the threads and jump in when comfortable. I find the following two threads to be most helpful:
Checking in daily to maintain focus #58
and
Daily Gratitude, The Air Of Recovery #5

We can not do this journey alone - make sure to surround yourself with a good support team and remember a. we can not moderate (can not even have 1 drink) b. we work the urges one day at a time - one hour, minute, second at a time – keep yourself busy to avoid the urges.

2 Likes

Dude, I know exactly how this goes. For years, the hangover was motivation to quit, but I was only motivated when I was hungover.

When I finally quit, I think it was when I finally accepted the fact that I need to change, and that change will make life will be different. That change will be uncomfortable, it will be awkward; and it was. It was all that, but I embraced it. I feel that was the difference.

I think by coming here everyday, hearing other’s stories and sharing their success helped my own success blossom, and it definitely helped with the acceptance aspect.

Stick around, it’ll be good for you!