How you guys stay sober on your lowest moments

I marked it for alcohol my choice of demon, but anybody really I’m at a fuckin low moment on the brink of 11 months but I want to fill the hole from the hurt with liqour badly. When I fight with my family, fiancé to be specific it hurts me and I want to run to the liqour but I tell myself no but tonight I’m at the bar drinking water eyeing my preferred drink looking for answers from god any help or kind words are appreciated

16 Likes

Hey! You are not alone! I’m struggling like that as well. :face_holding_back_tears: prayers for you!:pray:t2:

3 Likes

Leave the bar. Nothing good will come from you being there. Nothing good or helpful is in the bar. Your addict brain is trying to trick you.

Do you mind if I ask - what are you fighting about?

13 Likes

Is there a good reason you’re in a bar? I would leave immediately if possible.

12 Likes

Go for a walk if possible. Or go in café and drink some good tea ( mint for example) it helps with the emotions.
This helped me in the beginning of this journey. Tea, walks, reading a book or here or just watch something ( movies, series etc). The bar is very dangerous. @Matt is right.
Now about the topic - how i stay sober - I repeat in my head every single time why i choose to be better. Why i decided to be in condition to take care of myself and for the others. When you have these kind of moments just dont forget that you are stronger than the bottle. The bottle doesn’t help at all.

9 Likes

I’ll echo what everyone else has said…Leave the bar NOW! No good will come from you staying there. Addiction is doing pushing ups in the parking lot while you’re sitting on that bar stool contemplating your next move.

What helps me in my lowest moments, and there have been many, is to play the tape all the way through to the end. Alcohol will only make matters worse and no doubt, I will regret it the next morning. AA meetings have been a life saver for me. There’s nothing like sitting in a room filled with like minded people that get it.

10 Likes

Please get out of the bar, it serves no purpose in sobriety, but to challenge what you fight so hard for.

How do I stay sober in my lowest moments? I am having A LOT of them right now, very down and feeling off, stressed and out of sorts. I stay sober knowing deeply that getting drunk will make me feel 100% 200% 500% worse. Drinking will drag me down further into the abyss I fought so freaking hard to climb out of. I never want to feel that way again. That is how I stay sober. Remembering how bad it was when I was drinking.

Wishing you well and hope you go take a walk in some air. :people_hugging:

15 Likes

Absolutely leave the bar. I chant “There is nothing that alcohol can’t make worse.” Because it is the truth. In some really tempting times, I did back to back online meetings for a few hours until it passed.

11 Likes

I left the bar, only place open 4:30 am where police won’t bother me bartender 3 years sober let me sit and drink some water and smoke a few cigs and talked to me about his journey

19 Likes

Glad you are okay.

2 Likes

When you guys are low do you feel like a pressure on your chest like I fucked up so bad everyone hates me I hate myself normally I drink than into oblivion but lately let the pressure in chest and heart kill me till I can calm down but to many moments like this In rapid succession is taking its toll

8 Likes

If you’re like me, you use alcohol to cope with literally everything; the good, the bad, the mundane.

Learning to cope without takes practice, a lot of practice.

When my wife and I argue, in the past I would drink my anger away. Now, I go through a process. First I think about why I am angry (or hurt), specifically why? Then I think about the situation or argument and determine if maybe I might be wrong? I stop to look at either side and see if my thinking could be influencing my emotions. Then I think what can I do to make it better?

Whether it’s anger, hurt, jealousy or whatever, I go through this process and really find my role in the situation. After I set my ego aside, I usually find that I am my own worst enemy, ergo, the cause of these arguments, usually.

The more I’ve used this process, the fewer incidents there have been, I have been keen to pick up on my poor thinking before it escalates further.

I don’t know if this helps at all, but that’s how I cope.

Congrats on

Nearly 11 months sober, and welcome to the show, stick around!

9 Likes

Welcome to the community. Great work on your sober time.

First of all…can you leave the bar? Being around your DOC during your lowest times is the worst idea. Remember what brought you to becoming sober and how hard those first moments were… They only get worse if you relapse and try again. That’s why many say they don’t think they have another recovery in them. We have this time now to push past and gain momentum.

I try to focus on other things…try our gratitude for instance. It’s hard but trying to list things changed the mindset. I do things to keep me busy both physically and mentally. I pray and connect here with others. This is a wonderful place to read and interact to help you stay focused.

No good will come from drinking and you know it will never fill any hole. It only creates larger ones.

This post was 9 hours ago…just realized that now. How are you doing? Stay connected friend…you are among people who understand and care :people_hugging:

6 Likes

For me, that feeling - the exact feeling you describe: intense, overwhelming pressure in the chest, associated with worry that I have fucked up or I have let someone down - that feeling is RSD (Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria), and it is a symptom of my ADHD. (ADHD is something I’ve lived with my whole life, but I masked it by hiding and numbing / escaping with my addiction.)

Have you had an appointment with your doctor and asked for a referral to a psychiatrist? For me, getting a mental health assessment was a huge help in my early recovery. I learned that I live with ADHD, and later I learned I live with depression. By speaking with knowledgeable doctors and psychiatrists (knowledgeable about these conditions), I have gotten effective, sustainable treatment.

It is always worthwhile to learn more about your mental health. As you continue in your sober journey, all that stuff you used to bury under booze will come up to the surface. It will be necessary to learn to thrive and be healthy, living with these things daily, without drinking.

Life is beautiful - it always is. It isn’t always easy, but it is beautiful. Learning about your mental balance, your mental “dance”, your mental health, is part of the beauty of life.

6 Likes

Keep fighting and remember why you stopped I’ve lost 3 ppl I really looked up to as a kid in a week all this on top of fighting influenza A and only 30 odd days clean I’ll be blunt it fucking stings so much but I know the addiction is just waiting for moment Like this waiting for me to fuck up keep telling myself not today and as long as I can put my head down at night clean and sober I know I’ll wake up tomorrow just gotta look for the little wins the way I see it a little win is so much better then the big losses I’d suffer if I gave in there’s a reason I got clean and there would be for you just keep reminding yourself of that reason as I said it’s fucking tough but we do recover and it does get easier

5 Likes

I “re-live” my worst hangovers and I make myself remember how I felt that next day. I play it out in my mind in excruciating detail. The shame and regret. The feeling of poisoning myself.
I drink a lot of coffee, tea, soda, water.
I tell myself, I can make it through tonight. Tomorrow morning will probably be a little better. And it usually is better, if just a little.

10 Likes

There is no low moment alcohol can’t make lower.

13 Likes

I don’t know if you are still at the bar, but you need to leave. When I get the urge to drink…I make myself a pot of coffee sit down and write down the reasons why I want a drink…then I write down past mistakes to remind myself what happens when I drink. Thinking about it is one thing but I found that if I write it down it’s easier for me to not drink. Prayers, hugs and love hun…we’re here for you :sparkles:

3 Likes

Life sucks better Sober

13 Likes

Everyone that has responded I appreciate you more than likely I made it another day because of you guys I have read all the comments and I appreciate it maybe I will get a mental health assessment to see where a professional says I’m at, my sobriety feels like a burden to my family which is crazy because my drinking definitely was but now it’s like I’m damaged goods. Used to throw in my face I was a drunk now throw in my face don’t know if I’m going to set you off to drink again. I AM TIRED OF BEING THE BAD PERSON, last 10.5 months has been crazy hard on the 7th I will be 11 months on the 8th is my dads one year anniversary he died fighting alcohol trying to dry out without medical help after 50 years of daily drinking thank you guys

15 Likes