I am trying to get sober starting today

Hey all. I’m a closeted functioning alcoholic and have been for about 5 years now. No one in my life really knows about it and I’ve done my best to hide it. Last night I just got tired of it. Tired of feeling like crap and lying to those close to me. I had my last drink last night around 5:30pm and am almost at 24 hours. It’s been really tough not gonna lie and it sucks that I don’t have anyone to share that 1 day victory with so I thought I’d post it here.

Appreciate your support and wish all of you the best.

35 Likes

CONGRATULATIONS I know how hard it can be doing it alone, but your not alone I’m on day two for the millionth time and seeing your post has given me a pick up and made my day! We are all in this fight together even though we fight alone. Much love brother look forward to seeing more from you on your journey!

5 Likes

Congratulations on choosing to fight for your life. I promise the fight is worth it. There are many tools you can use on your recovery path. My main advice is don’t try to do this alone, it’s just not possible for most. Use this community or join local groups to engage with other like-minded people. You are worth it, you deserve a sober, happy life. Best wishes.

6 Likes

one day is an absolutely huge accomplishment. many congratulations to you! thanks for sharing w us and hope you keep at it day by day :metal::cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

Good for you! It is worth the effort. Take it one day at a time and keep checking in here - you’ll find what you need as long as you stick with it :innocent:

If you’d like you can come check in here - it’s a great place to stay connected:

Checking in daily to maintain focus #39

Welcome to Talking Sober! :wave:

4 Likes

Now you know that you can stay sober for 24 hours. I think you will make it another 24 as well. Here’s a couple of threads that you might find helpful. Blessings on your house :pray: as you begin your sobriety.

7 Likes

First few days suck. Cravings, anxiety, weird thoughts, irritable, weird dreams, and more. Takes about 2 weeks to feel better. I’m on day 22 and I have more energy than I had in a long time. Stay busy. That’s the biggest thing. When your bored you will want to drink. Stay busy. Good luck. It gets better and you will be happy again.

2 Likes

Try a meeting might help wish you well

2 Likes

Thanks everyone who replied with words of encouragement and advice, it means more than you know. I am almost through another day clean!!

I had a great moment at work today and when I left work, my first thought was to grab a drink to celebrate (addict brain) but I went straight home and am now relaxing with my dog sober as a bird. I’m proud of myself, I know it’s only a couple days into a lifelong journey, but it’s a start.

Thanks for letting me celebrate with you all and for your continued support and guidance.

8 Likes

Big Congratulations :heart: :blue_heart:
Hope day 2 goes really well for you!!

1 Like

Welcome :slightly_smiling_face:

Congratulations on 2 days and for recognising your addict brain :tada:

Every day sober is a miracle that only other addicts can truly understand. I’m glad you found us. When you’re struggling, reach out.

:blue_heart:

2 Likes

Welcome and Congratulations on your first 24 hours.
One day at a time.
:pray:t2::heart:

1 Like

Congratulations on your start! I just began this journey and appreciate you and all the others on here sharing!! We got this!

2 Likes

Stay strong. I know exactly how you feel. I was drinking alone too! Today I am 10 days sober!!! I feel great and I am starting to look better. We are all here for you. It does get better. I have had 5 years sober at one point in my life. I thought I could handle it. I cannot. One day at a time dear friend.

Hugs

1 Like