I did it , I survived my first weekend

Good on ya! Keep on stringing those pearls of freedom together!

4 Likes

Congrats on your first weekend sober!

4 Likes

Well done you!!! The first weekend is always an adjustment- esp when old habits and familiar pastimes try to lure you back in; congrats on staying true to you!!!

4 Likes

Yahoo on the first of many weekends to come!:star2::star2::star2::star2:

3 Likes

Way to smash through the weekend and clock up 7 days @Rookie! Where did you get the strength to do it, despite your husband drinking around you? That’s a milestone worth celebrating. With conviction like that, I’m sure you’re on a good track for another week of one day at a time sobriety.

3 Likes

Keep it going Kristen, you are doing just great!
Making a plan for yourself is a smart thing to do!
I made one of my own 5 years ago and it worked wonders. I’m still sober since.
I will share it with you, maybe you see someting you can use in yours 2 years sober and what helped me to get there: Congratulations with your first week sober, may many follow!!

4 Likes

Congratulations :clap:t3::clap:t3::clap:t3: round of applause to you!

1 Like

That’s amazing, congratulations! The first weekend was extremely hard for me but now I’m almost three years sober! Keep that same mind frame and continue with your sobriety, it is achievable and you have now shown yourself that. Very proud of you, you can and will do this!

1 Like

This is amazing!!! Fantastic work. I was just speaking to my husband this weekend about my first few weeks sober. We (both sober) were talking about how…now that we are a ways away from drinking, the magnetic pull is weak, but how in early sobriety, pulling ourselves up it of the hole and stringing together those first days took AN INCREDIBLE AMOUNT OF STRENGTH.

The best part is, as you pull yourself out, you get STRONGER, and eventually, the pull gets weaker.

What has been working for you so far?

2 Likes

What a great start! Getting started is the hardest part. Thanking you didn’t end up in jail or with an alcohol related health issue it’s just your own spidey sense telling you it’s time!

Now my advice. Yes get a plan. DO NOT let your guard down. I’ve been sober almost two year years. Alcohol is sneaky, I had my guard up for things like the obvious, bars, parties etc but how I fell off years ago was simply opening a bottle of champagne for friends and it started to bubble over and I drank the champagne spilling out. I was powerless and totally unprepared and I spent at least another six years drinking before I stopped.

Always have your guard up anticipating road blocks before they happen. If u can do it so you can you!!!

5 Likes

Thanks Ryan. Fun fact, Spidey is my nick name. I guess I went spider monkey on someone and it just has stuck.

Yes, I spent a couple hours yesterday making a list of the things I want to read/ listen to and watch. One day at a time. Evening is the hardest for me but I made it through Friday :yellow_heart: I know my health has been affected…. High blood pressure etc. I did have to sit in a small cell waiting for my husband to come and get me as I was in another state when I got my DUI.

Today is going to be a good day. I hope yours will be too. Kristen

4 Likes

Well Spidey good job!

Alcohol made my BP skyrocket too. Back below normal now. I’m sure your BP will too.

Schedule is super important. Identify when you’re graving alcohol the most or times that are most difficult. I never was a day drinker. I’d go to bars for work lunches and didn’t drink but I was the after the day is over power down some stiff drinks guy.

Knowing that I got up at 5am to hit the gym. That way by the time I got home there was only an hour or so of potential drinking time. If I had cravings I’d just go for a walk, listen to some podcast or music. Actually great alone time thinking back.

Also, someone gave me great advice when I first quit on here!!! Eat whatever you want the first 90 days. I never had a sweet tooth before quitting but I suddenly had gallons of ice cream in the freezer. That and dark chocolate did it. I also got super fit despite the ice cream because I was hitting the gym and walking. You can do it!!! Reach out if you need help!!!

2 Likes

Thanks…. I love the advice about eating what I want. I am more of a sweet tooth person in the morning and salty in the afternoon. I have come up with a good evening drink of seltzer water, splash of lemonade and splash of cranberry. I love to workout and am very fortunate I have a gym in my house. I have been doing more weights since I hurt my foot but I love my Peloton bike too. When my foot is better I will resume walking the golf course with my bag on my back.

I hope you have an amazing Sunday. ODAAT

3 Likes

Five days down for me. New here. Thankful I found you good people.

2 Likes

Congrats on a week. I actually currently work at a bar while in recovery and I can honestly say seeing people drink the way they do only validates my decision to get and stay sober. I’ve got 7 months now and I’ve bartended this whole time. I honestly view it as a positive to have first hand experience seeing how awful the long term affects of alcohol really are.

1 Like

Congratulations I’m proud of you I said a pray for yall keep up the good work you got this girl

Thanks Robin. I hope you are still going strong. Today is cold and rainy. Being stuck is not the easiest for me but I am fortunate to be able to workout here. Have the fire going now and watching golf. Did some work earlier, listening to some podcasts, meditating and reading.

How are you doing? You must be at 10 days!! Stay strong.

1 Like

The y’all got me. Are you from the south? Doing well despite the cold rainy day here. 18 days today!!! Have a great weekend :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I remember my first week and it was hell but I did it so congrats on making it thru your first week it gets easier as you go along.

1 Like

Yes. 14 days today. Doing well!

1 Like