I don’t recognize my drinking as a problem

I’m new here…

I don’t recognize my drinking as a problem, which is why I’ve decided to take a step back from alcohol. I drink daily, and it’s not necessarily because I am unhappy but i work around it. I would say it feels normal to have a drink after work everyday; but I know that isn’t normal behavior. I just created a habit that now feels normal. One thing leads to another and your drinking a pint to yourself thinking “I’m not even that drunk” when in reality you are…your brain just isn’t creating as much dopamine as it was the last time you drank an entire pint.

Who wants to live a life where you can’t even remember what you did last night, or where you were, or who you were with… life is way to short. I want to feel the real pleasures of life. Breakfast in bed, hot tubs, comedians, sex. All of the good things that I will remember, and they don’t come with the price of losing your family, or being broke all the time… risking your health or career.

I’m not looking for any sympathy, but my dad is into pills and subs pretty heavy. I’ve been lied to, manipulated and used for years. It all started when I was about 16. It ripped my family apart, it damaged any relationship he had with any of us. I don’t want to be him, so I’ll start with holding myself accountable.

Hi I’m Lex, I’m an alcoholic and I’m ready to get sober and go after everything i want.
I’m three days in, with a life time to go…

One day at a time

47 Likes

Welcome and thank you for sharing. Addictions don’t just come out of nowhere, and often our life experiences has a hand in them. I hope you’re able to find something here in this forum that helps you on your journey. Great job on your three days.

6 Likes

Welcome Lex,
Congratulations on your first three days of your new life.
Have a good read around here. This place has been a great place for me to get support in my sobriety. Addiction is too tough to go it alone. We are stronger in numbers. And we are all worth it.
ODAAT.
:pray:t2::heart:

Here are two good threads to start:

7 Likes

Hi Lexi, welcome!

I have to say that I relate to this in the fact that I was drinking daily and it was becoming a habit but then would go way overboard on the weekends. So happy you chose your happiness first and what you want in life. I’m also on day 3. :black_heart:

6 Likes

Hi Lex… Amen on your transparency here and willingness to take a step back, do this one day at a time and take accountability.

I am proud of you for calling yourself an alcoholic even after making the first statent of not thinking your drinking was a problem.

Welcome to TS . I’ve found such comfort and safety here, on this app and I hope that you do too.

God bless

5 Likes

Hi Lex.
My name Is Paul and I have suffered at the hands of alcohol for 30 years, I started using it to push aside things in my life that I didn’t like and it gradually got a hold of me.
One day at a time has got me to my 24th day, the longest I have been sober this century and even though I still crave a pint or seven, at times I feel like climbing the walls and hanging off the ceiling by my fingernails, I feel pretty proud and good.

It’s always sad to read about someone’s struggles but at the same time, it is good to be able to welcome someone and read their share. Thank you.

Well done on day three, wishing you the best of luck on your journey, you won’t regret it.

Be kind to your mind.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing! I can relate to what you said in the beginning. I didn’t exactly recognize my drinking as a problem either. I would start drinking wine around 5:00 and usually finish the bottle. Sometimes open a new one before bed. I thought it was fine. My son asked me to stop drinking. I am here now and it’s been 39 days!

2 Likes

I think the reason I don’t see it as an issue or didn’t see it is because my mom is a “functioning” alcoholic and she drinks almost every day. But she gets her shit done. So part of me thinks it’s okay to do drink every day as long as my bills are paid and there’s food on the table but I know I have addiction in my family and I’m self aware enough to know that I am not and could never be a “functioning” alcoholic… if that is even a real thing

5 Likes

I had the same feeling, Lex. Had no real issues with drinking! My problem was stopping…

Bravo on your days and I think I will do the same thing tomorrow that I did today-- live happy and healthy. Great to have you with us.

3 Likes

thank you!

2 Likes

Thank you :heart:

We’re in this together girl :heart: Day 4 is so close :blush:

1 Like

Heck yes it is :relaxed: We absolutely got this and if you ever need some support I got you :black_heart:

1 Like

same to you! :partying_face:

1 Like

Welcome!!! I can relate. I wish you the best on your new sober journey!!! :yellow_heart:

1 Like

Welcome to TS! :blush:

I too had moments in my, what I am calling, ‘drinking career’ thought I didn’t have a problem, that I had it under control, I didn’t always feel drunk, I can handle my liquor, I only drank at home or a family members house, I could do my daily tasks… but in all reality, I couldn’t remember the day before, my kids asked me to write things they told me down so that I wouldn’t forget, because even they knew I would forget the smallest things they told me, I was always tired or had a headache… until I took a drink then I was happy go lucky for a while or the life of the party, the fun mom.

That behavior of course, for me, spiraled into day drinking, messy house, anti-social unless drinking, keeping emotions in until I was drunk enough to tell people how I felt, and then taking that emotion to the extreme with no regard for what was coming out of my mouth.

All the while, still thinking I had it under control.

It seems, from what you have said, that you are ready to make this life change for you, and that is the best reason ever. To be able to remember, to feel allll the feels, to remember those special and fun moments! I wish you nothing but the best and I hope you find good company here!

Sorry if I over shared, I’m on day 5.5 for my second time and I’m learning that the only way I can keep going is to share what I have been through in hopes to help someone else.

4 Likes

I also didn’t realize my drinking was a problem until I found myself driving around with a 7.5 liter day in and day out and drinking and driving and sipping or gulping directly from the bottle. As I drove around with a friend’s vehicle.
.I hadn’t even thought twice about these facts being problematic until I went to rehab 102 days ago and I was sick, sweating, feeling like I needed to die and sleepy for over a week. Taking a simple shower and then eating food was too much for my body to handle.

Participating in life … Lol… No way. Not at least for 7 days.

That’s disgusting truth right there.

I make no excuses.

I lay it all out on the table to expose all the darkness now.

I never want to go back.

101 days clean and sober today.
Renewed heart, renewed mind.

5 Likes

Hi :raising_hand_woman:, and welcome.

1 Like

Welcome. What a great share.

Great post and know you have it memorialized on this forum to refer to as needed when the thoughts of using happens. I never want to forget how bad it was. Thanks for sharing this.

2 Likes