I don't know how to do this

I put this app on my phone yesterday and am officially 24 hrs sober but all I want to do is drink and get high😢 I can’t stop thinking about the feeling I get and the ones I can suppress… I am on edge and trying to do this for my kids but even being around them right now is making my skin crawl and my patience doesn’t exist! I am craving that alone time but I’m lonely too.

14 Likes

Greetings! Welcome to the family! 24 hours is huge. It gets better every day you stay sober. Read everything you can on here, be active and contribute.

You deserve a sober life.

7 Likes

Hi! Welcome! Great job on 24 hours. These early days are the hardest, it does get easier, I promise!! Read up on here, try to relax. You got this!

6 Likes

If that doesn’t describe all us addicts then I don’t know what does. :joy:

We run to addiction because we want to escape. We self-isolate (emotionally and through addiction) because we feel incapable, unworthy, or scared. Our addiction and all the associated behaviours and feelings - it’s all us trying to run away.

This is the part where you make your stand. This is your moment where you hold your ground and say: “I don’t know what will happen tomorrow, I don’t know what will happen 15 minutes from now, I don’t know what others are thinking or gonna do. But I will not use, I will not drink. That is the only thing I know for sure.”

You have to let go of worries about others and just trust that the world will take care of them. Part of you will worry about your kids; part will worry about whatever’s driving you crazy, etc etc. You have to let everything else go and today, right now, the only thing that matters is not drinking or using.

Don’t worry about tomorrow. Don’t even worry about later. Just stand your ground and do not drink. Watch Netflix, eat pizza, go skiing, whatever you want to do. But do it sober. And when your head hits the pillow tonight, you will be sober.

(Edit: give yourself a hot bath before bed. Getting to sleep is hard for some of us - it certainly is for me - and I find a bath helps me unwind and sleep. Give it a shot and see if it helps for you :innocent: )

You’re a good person Callie. You deserve a safe, sober life where you can be your full self.

Keep checking in with us here. Check in tomorrow too. We’re here with you.

8 Likes

Just today, that all you have to do…tomorrow you will wake up sober, how amazing is that! One Day At A Time girl, that all u need to focus one.

3 Likes

Hello and welcome Callie :slight_smile: You said a mountains worth in one paragraph! First-suppressed feelings need to be addressed and dealt with. Pushing them down with substances is a temporary fix. Let’s think long term. Second good feelings from substances is a pathway that we, as addicts, built in our brains. There are ways to overcome that need and avoid that pathway altogether. Thirdly kiddos can pull from one that, going through a withdrawal, can be taxing. Give yourself grace. Tis not easy. Fourthly, bravo for reaching out! You are NOT alone. It may feel like that right now, but you’re not. There are many of us from around the world here for you. You need a long term plan luv. You can do some research on here and develop one. But right now it seems like immediate assistance is needed to abstain. Just for today, no substances and do something else. Drink a coca-cola, watch a movie, go for a walk, take a bubble bath, play some scrabble go on your phone, take the kids for ice cream, or all of the above! Do you for tonight and take it hour by hour :heart:

6 Likes

I completely understand this. I have 3 girls. 8, 5 , 4 and it was so hard at first. My irritability was insane. But it didnt last long. I got through it. I was tired of being away from them. It quickly changed to not ever wanting them out of my site. They even slept in my room.

4 Likes

Welcome Callie. Great start on your first 24. I know it’s hard at first. I cannot think of a better reason to be sober than for those wonderful kids of yours. It sounds like you got a lot to be grateful for having those children. And they are worth having a sober mom. And your worth being sober and enjoying every moment of those children. Eventually we got to work out our issues for why we drink and always want to numb our feelings. But it’s ok to start by being grateful your doing it for your children. Keep thinking of them if that helps for today.
:pray:t2::heart:

Here’s some more reading you can do on here. Keep checking in with us when your comfortable.

3 Likes

Welcome to the sober fam! First few days are rough, but once you get past them it gets so much better. You can do this! Good luck, hope to see you around, keep coming back!

2 Likes

Oh sweet I’m know just how you u feel what I’ve done it made sure there feed, give the somwthing to do so my 1p yo is happy ayong Minecraft on ttv with friend and my 17 yo is doing coutse worse n I’ve gone bk to bed with a flask of time n watching movie, later on today maybe choose to watch a movie before bedtu. E the get ya head on the pillow clean I feel your struggle I really do. All my love

2 Likes

10 Yr old not 1 sorry

Welcome Callie! :blush:

Welcome here 🙋
Yes it’s hard but like the others already mentioned: it’s going to get better! But you have to go trough the hard part first
Keep going!