I don't know what I'm doing anymore

I have been a binge drinker since I was 19. I am 29 now and I had a brutal hangover today and drank again to stop the hangover… I feel really lost in life and I don’t know what to do anymore. I have had things happen to me that I can’t explain or even describe if it is even normal. I’ve always felt strange to this world, I feel like an alien. I would like to meet people on here who feel the same way and are welcoming.

19 Likes

Well I’ve felt that way before and still kind of do feel like an alien right now shorty! If you ever need to talk let me know I’m here for you friend :100::heart::grin:

9 Likes

Welcome to this great sober community.
Getting support is the only way I could quit drinking for good.
Have a good read around. Join in when you’re comfortable.
Here are two good threads to start:

8 Likes

You just described me exactly. You are not alone on feeling this way! I ended up drinking 24/7 and landed myself in the hospital at 26 years old for two separate 2 week stays in icu. Processing trauma and feeling feelings is not fun, but it is worth it. And so much better than laying in a bed, hooked up to 6 Ivs, not knowing if you’ll live or die and honestly not knowing if you want to live. We can’t numb ourselves to the bad and expect to still feel the good. I wish I could give you a hug right now, but just know that feeling like you are an alien to this world is not necessarily a bad thing and you do have a place and purpose here, maybe even to share your experiences so that you can be there for the next alien feeling lost here. Always here if you need someone to talk to! 🩵

10 Likes

Fellow alien here :wave:

I think you would be surprised at the number of people here and in the world who feel the same as you. You’re not alone and you have discovered a great community full of people who share the common goal of sobriety.

Stick around and make today your last day 1 :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Hi, welcome. I am also 29, four years sober.

9 Likes

Welcome. When I was drinking I felt totally alone, in my head I understood so much, but I kept doing the opposite. Being on here, and going to AA meetings, really helped me feel like there were many others who felt like I did. Living abroad, I am a literal alien too :joy:.

6 Likes

Stay on here I know exactly how you feel, take each day as it comes, I slipped up the other night after 3 weeks sober, your not alone strength and love sent

4 Likes

Hi friend! I support you! I completely understand what you are going thru. I made a lot of friends thru local AA and other recovery groups as well. Glad you are here!

4 Likes

It’s good to see you this morning!

2 Likes

Even without alcohol im still an alien amongst normies, but i can remember what happened to me, i can show up to things unimpaired and even though i can still be unreasonable and wrong causing me to have to make a mends, i havent had to piece together the memories of the past evening or damage a loved one’s sense of closeness because of some alcohol fueled interaction that went wrong in over 4 years! Its just SOOOOO much easier to live life without alcohol.

Im still an alien, but even my oddities are more welcome by my colleagues and others now that they’re not muddied by alcoholism. No more perverse stories to my mother n law after too many beers as i misread the room thinking im being entertaining for instance.

I truly hope you get to know the stability that sobriety has to offer. Take care

3 Likes

Amen to that, buddy!

2 Likes

Have you not drank so far today?

1 Like

I am sober today

3 Likes

Awwww thank you for the sweet reply

Thank you for the reply :slightly_smiling_face:

@Serenity17 remain here. Read the posts, stay connected. Maybe you figure out a lot of things. Welcome here. You are not an alien, just a person with problems

1 Like

I’ve always felt like a weirdo. Mainly just being so shy and introverted and having “odd” interests lol. I’m definitely still figuring out who I am without booze. It’s hard when you’ve done it for so long and it alters your reality and takes up so much of your time.

3 Likes

Good. Do the same tomorrow and keep it up.

2 Likes

And thats a beautiful thing! There are millionaires wishing they had what you have today. Seriously: cherish it, covet it.

You’re doing pretty awesome.

2 Likes