I finally told someone I have a problem with alcohol

This morning I told my friend I want to stop drinking, over the last few years I have started drinking almost every day. Sometimes half a bottle of wine sometimes 5 glasses. I have about one or 2 nights without drinking on average. It’s weird because when I’m away from home I drink much less and sometimes not at all for a week without even thinking of it. I have been suffering with depression due to being a single mom and feeling unworthy of love and have. A stressful job. I am using wine to drown things out and as a sedative. Things escalate and I make poor choices. It’s affecting my life and I feel it’s getting worse. The idea of putting alcohol down for good is scary and that scares me even more cause it shows I have a dependancy.
Any advice will be appreciated

24 Likes

Welcome back here Ames! Congrats on your choice. When alcohol is having such a negative impact on your life quitting is absolutely the right choice to make. I know it seems scary in the beginning, but be assured that a better life awaits. Being sober opens up a whole new world of opportunities. It does take work but it’s a work of love. No more running from our problems but learning to face and deal with them instead. Wishing you all success Ames!

7 Likes

Thank you so much yes this is a much needed change and something I finally need to face going to focus on gym and work and reading and being a good mum to my son :pray::pray::pray:

5 Likes

Welcome back @Ames2 :sunflower:

Good decision to put the wine down. Sounds like there is potential in improving your at home situation as you go easy without a drink when away.
If you would like to check it out, I posted my personal shortlist of go-to threads that help(ed) me recently in another thread. Where to go to from here? - #8 by erntedank

Keep us posted how you are and keep going. We are here to support you :people_hugging:

3 Likes

Welcome back. As you are experiencing, it’s not the amount of frequency of drinking or stretches of dry time that determine if we’re alcoholic, it’s what drinking does to us in our minds and souls. And good on you for telling someone. That helps us to voice our fear and to hold ourselves accountable for our behavior.

If you look around here, people who concentrate on growing their sobriety as much as staying physically dry, are the ones who are more serene in the long run, better equipped to handle the small and large vagaries of daily living. Here’s a roux to help get you started. Blessings on your house :pray: as you begin your journey.

8 Likes

Hi Amy,
Opening up about you want to quit is a good start. It helps a bit if you got support back home as well. If I look back at my own recovery I can say it was difficult at the beginning. I had my ups and downs and worked hard to get where I am today. I learned a lot about myself.
I like myself a lot more then I did in my drinking days. Still growing mentally.
I never would wish for an addiction. But in a strange way it “gave” me a lot. Hope you understand what I try to say :hugs:
What has helped me a lot in my recovery was making a sober plan. I’ve shared it a few years ago and will share it with you. Maybe you see something you can use yourself too.

Don’t be a stranger and come here often, it really helps you to be here much. It helps you to stay focussed and you will learn a lot about how to become and stay sober.

See you around! :raising_hand_woman:

3 Likes

Welcome back :hugs:

:sunflower:

1 Like

Dont be afraid. Think about the other way around: Be afraid what alcohol is currently doing to you and will be doing to you going forward. Thats far more scary. Congratulations on your decision

2 Likes

I used alcohol to drown everything out. And I mean a lot of alcohol. To the point where I wasn’t even sure I was gonna be able to stop. My advice is don’t worry about putting alcohol down for good. Just concentrate and do everything you have to do, to hit the pillow sober tonight. Then repeat tomorrow. It will get easier

2 Likes