I find it easier to quit without pressure from others

I am at 18 days sober from alcohol and feel strong and committed.

:heart: “There’s a world of difference between insisting on someone’s doing something and establishing an atmosphere in which that person can grow into wanting to do it.” Mister Rogers :heart:
I am a 52 yo alcoholic(yeah, I don’t like that label much either but it works) and have drank since I was 14 yo. I was a party animal in college. I was a a bar regular in a ski town for a decade after that. I was a drunk during my graduate education. I was a drunk in my medical career. And then the first DWI at 33 yo.

I had to go to IOP for 3 months to retain my medical license, and was then set free. In a few years, I found myself fired from 2 jobs and had to attend two weeks rehab, and join the practitioner monitoring program for 5 years. I was pretty sneaky though(as many of us are I am sure) and found ways to drink even with random urine tests.

I made it 1 year and then DWI #2. (Strange aside–both happened in parking lots, and no crash or injured parties. Weird.) Anyway, off to 3 months rehab in Pennsylvania. That was difficult. If I didn’t “graduate” from that I was off to a year inpatient facility. My anxiety was through the roof those three months. I still couldn’t stay out of trouble though(acting out at talent shows, hitching rides into town, picking up girls who were only in for two week stays), but I made it.

After a year in a sober house I returned to medicine. I bounced around a few different specialties for another 5 years while being monitored and in intensive therapy. I did not drink. I was in AA at least 3 times a week, I carried a remote breathalyzer to blow in 3 times a day, and I tried to be at peace. But it was not for me, I was doing this all for someone else. Deep down hidden in my subconscious, I believed alcohol was still in the cards for me.

Once my monitoring program ended…

Yep, I picked up. Was walking a tightrope of drinking for another couple years until I couldn’t pull it off anymore, and I quit medicine. Found other careers that were not as stressful, and I really enjoy them.

Over the last year, I have really taken off with my drinking though. 12 pack and box of cigs almost every night. Basically on remote control, and certainly not enjoying life. I had a falling out with my family over the holidays 2023. I decided to give up alcohol for January 2024. I told no one but my best friend and the fine people here at TS. I had no one pushing me to not drink this time.

After a couple weeks sober, my mind has cleared, I can see my sordid past more clearly, and I am excited to be doing this for myself. I made this choice and it feels so much more powerful now. I am sure there is some sort of ODD issue that contributed to relapses in previous attempts.

Anyway, yesterday and today I have told my family, we are on the path to healing the relationship, and I am proud to be alcohol free. I do not see drinking as something to covet anymore. I do not want to sneakily pour that poison into my body anymore. I want to live my life again, and not be chained to the dream that alcohol is cool and will help me in anyway.

Well, that was a long story. I wanted to write it down somewhere, and this forum seemed as good a place as any.

I appreciate this amazing online community, and hope to grow along with many others here over the years.

_Solar

49 Likes

Wonderful revelation @SolarEclipse

4 Likes

You’ve been through a lot. And I agree it needs to come from within, however well-intentioned (or not) others may be in trying to change us.

7 Likes

Wow! Yes it’s your turn to make the choice for yourself :blue_heart: What a powerful story and congratulations on your 18 days :innocent:

6 Likes

This was really heartwarming to read. You are on a really good path for YOU and that’s when it really has the chance to stick. I’m proud of you! Congratulations on your 18 days. Keep 'em coming, one at a time!

6 Likes

Thank you for sharing and trusting us with your story :black_heart: powerful and moving story. Congrats on your 18 days!

3 Likes

I also want to chime in and say thank you for telling us your story, that was both heartbreaking and heartwarming. It’s a struggle to fight against ourselves for so long but such a powerful shift when we reach that kind of life changing realization. I’m so glad you’re on track to heal with your family. Well done on your days!

7 Likes

Thank you for sharing. We had a lot of new people come in since the start of the year, but the impact you’ve made already is exceptional… to me and I am sure to others, too. I am glad you are a part of this community, my friend :orange_heart:
Keep growing!
:squid:

7 Likes

Great story. There is something magical when you can flip from wanting alcohol to seeing it as an absolute drain on your life. Keep being great!

5 Likes

Keep us posted on your journey wish you well

3 Likes

Wow its really ironic how many people out there are dealing with this. Our stories are so simular. I just turned 59 and im on day 16. My friend since the 3rd grade told me 30 years ago alcohol will cost you family, friends and colleagues. He was right, hes been an functional alcoholic all his life also. We haven’t talked in over a year for things we both said. Both of us maintained high profile positions over the years. People knew about our problems but let it go because we were both high margin money makers. I now have 3 grandchildren my wife stuck with me and its time. Your story really hit home with me and motivates me even more. Ive always lived at the beach and been that guy also. Man I wish you the best of luck and keep checking in, I know this site has really helped me.

11 Likes

What a journey you’ve had, so thank you for sharing.
I’m inspired daily by these stories and they make me cheer for you all and myself that much more to keep on this amazing path.
This story could be me but I’ve been more fortunate that I’ve never drank and drove (lost a girl friend at 19 when her and another guy drive home from a party drinking and they both lost there lives in the accident) and swore I’d never drink and drive and have held true to that pledge.

I wish you great success on your sobriety and hope to see more of your updates.

Take great care and enjoy these foggy free days

5 Likes

I so appreciate hearing this. Alcohol and addiction issues are so often defined down. Hell part of the DSM is how it effects your job! But people with high power jobs & positions often DO have a lot more to hang on to and such a greater stake in what they do that its a diff dynamic then say if you make minimum wage. The way we talk about alcohol in terms of control I find too confuses people/allows those who high function to be like nope not me…because there is a level of control that can still happen with people with substance abuse issues, and I think its just anpthet type pf experience with dependence. It doesnt mean that people are completely IN control, but the middle/upper classes have a lot more functioning alcphol/drug dependecy issues that we as a societu too keep hidden becayse…well they “function” by societies standard, meaning they keep coming to work. Anyway, im rambling but this is what I grew up in, much of my very large fam has some issues with alcohol/substances, BUT it is only really the ones who lose things that get labelled as having a problem.

I have always been so grateful I was a “low” bottom very veru fast. I had nothing to lose bc I didnt have anything, and I drank INSTYLE (arrests, fights, black outs, running with my rough crew, you know…fashionably dysfunctional :face_with_peeking_eye:). But I knew from having grpwn up innthe functional side of things, i knew when i gpt sober like what a fucking gift my empty pit. What a gift that I was a hallow shell. What a gift that I could not go on or I would end up dead or in jail. What a gift in the end, CRAZY as that may sound because…if i could “function”, if i could get by and work my job, drink in a way where others arent too worried or offended (i mean not immediate fam those fuckers can sit down, i mean those who are a bit outside :sweat_smile:) and just get by…how much HARDER that would be to quit, and I can appreciate how much more difficult it is to see the issue and have a bit of motivation to change the behaviour when norhing too “dysfunctional” or crazy has happened. There is a level of control there that is very different from those of us who lose total control or straight throw that shit out the window, and whenever i hear someone talk about it I just feel that in my gut amd heart. Thanks for listening to my rambling heart. Xo. Sending you love, power & strength.

6 Likes

Wow, thank you all for listening and relating to my story. It is so comforting to be experiencing these sober days with this group.

9 Likes

This is a great post. And it reminds us all that we have a personal responsibility for our own sobriety. Monitors, court orders, rehabs, these are all great jumpstarts. But just like a motor, a jumpstart will get you down the road a little bit but ultimately we need work. And then, when nobody is around, that’s when the true test comes.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your story. You sound more at peace now. Sending you strength.

1 Like

Whoa, my mind is racing today. So many thoughts about what I need to do all smashing around in my head. Vision narrow. Jittery, cant hold stuff.

So I am sitting down, breathing deeply, staring into space and starting to calm.

5 Likes

Yes breath. One Day At A Time. One Task At A Time too. Small steps. I prefer to calI it a journey of Discovery as I was in active addiction for 40 years, and started at 13 y/o. I’m not sure about you but reading your story it’s been decades too. And whatever we call it, it’s a big journey that takes lots of time and effort. But is so worth it.

I’m glad you’re here and I love that we share some of our journeys. We’re in this together and that’s why I love the place so much. Thanks for being a part of it too. :people_hugging:

vaneska-ansiedade

8 Likes

Mira really enjoyed reading ur post. Everyone puts thier clothes on the same way every morning, one leg at a time. Dependency doesn’t discriminate. You sound like you’re on the right street and headed towards new horizons. Keep us posted and keep a big smile cause ur kicking its ass.

2 Likes

How you doing Solar?