I got fired

Being sober does not equal a perfect life. I screwed up at work. Accidently broke a company policy. One of those, “its always termination” type deals. As soon as I realized it, I self reported myself to my boss…and now I have been fired for the very first time in my life.

Ya know, had I been drinking…I would have tried to cover it up…which would have lead to paranoid feelings…which would lead to massive drinking…and still termination

Our secrets keep us sick…and I did the right thing.

I am highly employable, and I will find another job. Sobriety has given me a clear head about it, satisfaction I did the right thing, and a track record that I can use to find a better job. I have massive respect from my now ex- boss and have a glowing recommendation from him.

If you are struggling to stay sober, and bad things happening are triggering cravings…know this…better to go through hell sober than oblivious…

83 Likes

Thank you for sharing and well done for remaining so positive. Good luck with finding and securing a new job, i hope it’s much better than the last. :crossed_fingers: :smiley:

10 Likes

Who knows what will happen. In the mean time my newly plante 6000 square foot garden is getting the love it needs. Today I even started prepping the orchard I wanted to start.

Negative thoughts never did a darn thing to make something better. My goal was to a be self sufficient farmer in 5 years…maybe I can move up that time line

26 Likes

Now Scott’s free to do what he is meant to do.

8 Likes

Sounds like the garden is keeping you busy and will be lovely, and an orchard :astonished: amazing. I love gardens or green spaces, i find they perk me up. You never know, the old cliché everything happens for a reason may end up being relevant, and this as you say, has just set you earlier on your way down the farming path
6f0a39710b379d0c045c0ed8d54872b9

14 Likes

One of my mentors told me about a similar-ish situation in her past. I won’t go into the details, but some few decades later, she is now retired, and that piece of her story speaks to her credentials and more importantly, her character. Best part? Not only is your character still highly intact, but it sounds like you didn’t succumb to besmirching anyone else’s.

What a way to live your truth. Thank you for the example of you. :pray: :orange_heart:

Edit to add: I am excited to hear what is next! And how your garden grows. :wink: :seedling:

14 Likes

This is a perfect example of holding yourself accountable for anyone reading this thread. You are a wonderful example for this entire community. You do what’s right, even if it’s the harder thing to do and not necessarily best for you in the short term. You’re gonna be just fine my friend.

21 Likes

I sense a farm store job in your future and an employee discount. Jobs come and go, integrity and doing the right thing is truly priceless…especially for folks like us with a long history of chaos, secrets and lies.

May you and your gardens prosper. :heart: :people_hugging::heart:

14 Likes

Amen! Its a nice feeling

5 Likes

Lol…spot on! I applied to the 2 in town…i have given them enough of my money

10 Likes

Scott, I have to say your growth is truly beautiful to witness my friend. We all make mistakes. The fact that you can own yours with honesty and integrity is truly attributes of someone who is actively living in their recovery. I have to say, I was thinking precisely what @SinceIAwoke said out loud. Now you free to to discover what’s next and what makes your heart happy to do. I’m proud of you Scott.

11 Likes

I remember that job being highly stressful on you at times. Seems like a God shot to go follow your passions.

16 Likes

You are an inspiration Scott. I admire how you have handled the situation and am impressed with your attitude.
Thank you for your honesty and showing us that being sober doesn’t mean that everything will be a fairy tale but that it is so much better to navigate life being sober. So true that having hidden the incident or being under the influence would have eaten away and caused serious anxiety. Glad that you are so positive and looking for options that may be more appealing to you now (a farm store job).

8 Likes

We been talking about me finding something else since the beginning…lol…

8 Likes

Yuppers…think i officially retired from managment. I have been incharge of men and women for 2 decades…time to be a grunt

14 Likes

Don’t forget, you can always be a Christmas decorator! Not to mention Michelin star camp out cook and produce preservationist. Sorry you were fired, glad you were honest. The future is out there for you. Big hugs. :hugs::hugs::hugs:

8 Likes

The decorator is Ms. Monkey. The thought of a cooking position crossed my mind…and quickly left…lol…i will cook for loved ones only.

8 Likes

Another start to the rest of your best life.
I’ve got a good feeling about this, and believe you will arrive somewhere better and more balanced for you to enjoy your life with Mrs Monkey and all the additional joys that brings.
Go well!

10 Likes

Thank you for sharing your story. I admire your courage in sharing your humbling experience with us. It’s inspiring to read your reflections on how this experience would have gone if you were still drinking.

I wish you the best and have confidence that you will land on your feet.

Take care.

7 Likes

I’m in the same situation: got fired from my job after 18 years, now back on the job market at 56 years of age. It’s been a tough year, but I agree that it’s better to deal with life’s blows with a sober mind. The paranoia would have made things way worse. I shook my boss’s hand and thanked him for everything, turned in my badge, and moved on. No animosity, no hard feelings. I learned from my mistakes. On to the next chapter…

7 Likes