I have to be better

I’ve always struggled with alcohol. My biological mother had a severe stroke at age 47 from the amount she would drink; she’s lucky to be alive. I’m 32, and have my battle with it now. The woman I’m with loves me very much, but she can’t stand my drinking. She went out of town this past weekend and I drank, and she knew about it. I told her I only had 2 drinks with some friends. She did not care, because I’ve mentioned multiple times that I want to be done drinking. She says that I don’t because I keep going back to it. I get her point and honestly am very scared she’s going to break up with me when she gets home tonight. But I wouldn’t blame her if she did.

I’ve been with her for about 3 years, and want to be with her the rest of my life, but this has been our biggest hiccup. I don’t want to quit just for her, I want to be done for me as well. I want to live a long and healthy life. She believes I just say I will quit just for her. She also hates that I go out to drink when she’s not around. For me quitting is both, for her and for me. If she does end things with me tonight, it’s sure going to make my battle that much harder.

4 Likes

Welcome aboard, Kyle. You will find very quickly here that you are not alone, and there is a lot of help and support here. Read around, visit often, see what helps you to build a solid plan of action. Many folks here refer to it as building your “sober toolbox”. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, either. I joined a little over two months ago, and it has helped me tremendously. Wishing you well on your journey :pray:

2 Likes

I hear ya! My bf is away and when he is away I almost get giddy inside bc I can do what I want without him badgering me. When he gets home he will be clean. I want nothing more than to be clean again. It’s hard getting clean for ourselves bc we don’t care about ourselves as much as we care for others

2 Likes

Welcome Kyle. You can do this, dive in and commit 110% to sobriety! I’ve included a couple of links below that you may find helpful. Best wishes to you.

Your #1 tip for sobriety (over 2 years sober)

1 Like

Welcome kyle , like pattycake said in her post , you will find out you are not alone in your battle with alcohol , just keep coming here , read around and interact with all of us , alot of us here are all battling alcohol, iam 52 years old & your story reflects my own , my best advice to you is like pattycake said and i say too , come here often ,
I come here all the time , just remember this , there can never be the 5th 6th 7th or 8th drink of the night if you never have that 1st drink of the night

1 Like

Is sobriety what you want for your own self?

1 Like

Yes. For my relationship as well, but more so for my overall health. Like I said, my mother was an addict to alcohol and honestly drugs as well. She’s put down AT LEAST a 12 pack a night. I don’t ever want to be like that