I just want to drink..my fiancé just broke me down

Katy, you deserve so much better. Nobody should tolerate abuse of any form. I’ve been with my wife for a couple decades, I’ve never once called her a name or tried to bring her down… I want to lift her up. Last thing I have daughters your age and if I ever found out some fuck stick was doing that to them he would have problems.

Good job staying strong. You seem to be a intelligent, beautiful young lady and you deserve someone who will treat you well. Best wishes to you, know your worth.

12 Likes

Just wanted to say “:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:” I applaud this response! And I feel the same about my kids

6 Likes

Me too. 14 years in my case, and we’ve been through some tough times. No matter how tough it is or how much we might disagree though, insults or abuse are never happening. That’s not a relationship; when you insult your partner you’re using them as a punching bag. Not ok.

There are lots of good men out there. It takes some searching - just like any type of search - but it is worth it. There’s also a full and fulfilling life in living single and cultivating your relationship with yourself and your kids. No one is defined by their partner. We are defined by our choices, and those are our power.

5 Likes

Do you think someone can change from that? He’s apologized and said he doesn’t like to see me cry. I hardly ever cry in front of him. I think it’s his job. He wasn’t working over a year now drinking. It was all good until he returned. :disappointed:

4 Likes

Sure people can change habits but it’s unlikely that he’ll change it with you without seeking professional help. A habit of abusing you has been established as acceptable. You need to establish firm boundaries for yourself and you have to stick to them no matter what. Once you establish them you can communicate what they are to him so he knows. If he violates them follow through. I really do wish you and he the best

5 Likes

I think “the proof is in the pudding”.

If he can change, he doesn’t need you there to do that. The work he needs to do can be done at AA or another similar organization, or if the focus is more on him getting a handle on his anger, then attending Emotions Anonymous can help:

https://emotionsanonymous.org/find-an-ea-meeting/

There’s two different things going on here:

1. You (Katy) need to be personally safe (that means physically safe and respected, in body and in emotion). This is non negotiable, and that means if the place you are is not a safe place, you find another place.
  2. He needs to get a handle on his emotions and his drinking. It is not your responsibility to hold his hand through this. He is not a child. Your safety and his personal self-management are two completely separate things. If you are not safe, you staying is not going to help either of you. In fact, being apart can create space to really make progress.

He has given you lots of evidence that he has not changed, and no evidence that he has changed (other than words, apologizing, which is not the same as changed behaviour). Waiting longer for evidence that he changed, when you have lots of evidence that he has not changed, is… ??? What am I waiting for? I already know what is happening. If I’m living in the fantasy world of what could happen, why am I living in that fantasy? What does that do for me? (or for the kids? If things stay the same way they have been for years? What does that do? What does it say? You staying is not required for them to have a meaningful relationship with their father)

Can someone change? Hypothetically, yes. However in the great majority of cases, they don’t. But that’s not the point. This isn’t about him. This is about you being present and available for the relationships that matter (your relationship with yourself, and your relationship with your kids). The question is really this: what can I do to strengthen those two relationships?

4 Likes

Sounds like you’re better off without him. Your boys will adjust cuz you’ll be more content. Don’t worry about what your family will think. It’s your life. You’ve got two kids depending on you. So glad they are your focus now. You’re not alone. :unicorn: You can do this!

6 Likes

More resources about men working to break the cycle of anger / abuse / manipulation:

The summary is: we’re not really sure of how many men can break cycles of abuse. There is some research but it is inconclusive. What does that mean? Staying in a relationship where there is abuse, is a roll of the dice.

So the question is, why roll the dice? Why not step out of the game and work independently on something that puts you in charge, instead of leaving your future up to chance?

2 Likes

I kind of think of it as a problem drinker vs an alcoholic some regain control, some cannot but the situation isn’t good in either case.

2 Likes

Don’t marry him. You’re better off raising your child in a non abusive household. It is far more damaging in the long run than raising them in a single parent home.

Leave him.

10 Likes

Pastor Jeff Crippen (link below) does a lot of work in the area of Christian marriage and how no Christian is obligated to stay in a marriage where there is abuse or similar exploitation / narcissism / sociopathy.

Jesus does not endorse abuse and exploitation and he definitely does not say people should just endure it. (I mean, the whole visit to the temple to shut down the money changers was about exactly that: a bunch of people abusing others and exploiting them, and Jesus just comes in, flips their tables over and says, “Nope, this isn’t happening, what you’re doing is wrong, stop it.” The Apostle Paul also strongly condemns anyone taking advantage of another person, and emphasizes that Christian behaviour is to show love and to behave in honourable ways - always - which obviously means no abuse or exploitation: 1 Thessalonians 4.)

This post is about exactly what you mention above: the “sugar” someone puts on their words, to hide the darkness and rot of their unacceptable behaviour:

He has a couple other links here about this, from the same pastor:

And if you search him on YouTube he has a lot of sermons and talks.

One final thought: if you do choose to leave, you are not doing a bad thing and you do not have to get your church’s permission, and you don’t have to explain yourself to your church. God is the one who sees you and who knows you, and that is all that matters.

1 Like

This is about the lamest p.o.s. response I could imagine. Like it’s about not making a girl cry (cos we all know, girls are prone to crying) instead of, idk, not being a dick.

And sadly this is also the textbook enabling beaten down spouse response.

Girl, I’m not saying this to throw shade at you. But you have a lot of feedback here from a combined many years of life experience through all social circles. Open your eyes. Get educated, read some books on relationship abuse and narcissism. And then get yourself to safety and out of that misery. You deserve so much, so much better.

Try the Narcissist apocalypse podcast. It’s survivor stories, just ppl’s experiences. Gotta start getting informed. That’s the first step, acknowledgement.

Teile Podcast Narcissist Apocalypse #narcissistApocalypse
Narcissist Apocalypse - Podcast Addict via @PodcastAddict

12 Likes

This!!! This right here! Is exactly right

4 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better, as always. Katy, will be praying for strength and courage for you. Self esteem comes with sobriety and working a recovery program. Keep going.

5 Likes

7 Likes

X2.

Lots of good advice in this thread but Shay, you take the cake.

5 Likes

Hi everyone I’ve taken all you’ve said and took the time to cry and really just take a step back and really look into my relationship. I have called off the engagement. As of now I still plan to work something between us but he has moved back with his parents leaving us the house. Think we both need a little time apart to heal and we plan to occasionally go on dates in a months or so and just see how it goes. I explained how he almost jeopardized my sobriety and I will not have it anymore. I feel ….I don’t know…unstoppable I guess?? Just healthy and strong and more capable of achieving more. I don’t want to loose that again.

Yesterday was a day full of tears, but today will be different!

THANK YIU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT❤️

25 Likes

So proud of you girl! Protect that sobriety like the gift it is

3 Likes

Good for you Katy. You deserve respect, from yourself, and from everyone else. :+1:t2: :innocent:

4 Likes

Unstoppable is right. Protect your sobriety and your heart as this goes along. We are here when you need us. I’m proud of your healthy forward motion. :muscle:t3::mending_heart::heart:

6 Likes