I’m done with this ce

My kids have been counting down the days. No way I could let them down. I’ll just have to be super strong.

3 Likes

Ok. Lose a couple grand. That’s a bite out of the wallet but it is something that can be survived. (That’s assuming it’s totally impossible to get it back - I don’t know obviously but sometimes tour companies are open to offering credits or transferring the trip to another person, who could pay you for it)

What about the business trip? What if you kept a carbonated water with you the entire time? Something like a lemon soda, something refreshing. If you already have a drink in your hand people won’t be tempted to offer you one.

Another thing is just to excuse yourself early, maybe say you have a headache, etc. Go back to your room and get room service, or maybe go for a walk or something.

What if you did that?

3 Likes

I understand. Sorry I sent the text above before reading rhis

2 Likes

Still though - hmmm. It’s interesting with kids.

Brainstorm question: what would happen if you explained to the kids that you need some help, and you are trying to change something, and you will feel safer if the trip is changed?

Maybe a trip to go camping. Or rent an RV?

1 Like

Whatever it takes Zach. You can lie down, put some Netflix on, get some got cocoa, whatever you need to do. Stay strong brother.

3 Likes

Explaining (at least basically, in a simple way) to kids is possible, and it can actually help them feel safer and understanding:

https://alcoholrehab.com/alcoholism/effects/explaining-alcoholism-to-a-child/

1 Like

Yes. The kids an I have already sat down and talked. 12 and 9. They are super smart. Awesome kids. They understand and have seen me at my worst. It embarrasses me. But I’m glad we can talk about it

4 Likes

Hey man that’s awesome! It means a lot to have the family see you in that way. :slightly_smiling_face:

In that case honestly I think the kids would understand. They may think a vacation is a fun idea but they love their dad and they are willing to make changes if it helps move forward in a healthy way here. I’ve worked with many kids as a teacher and tutor and I’ve found that they are very understanding and they can see the big picture about things like this:
“If we can make a little change here it will help Dad to stay safe / move forward at this time. I know it’s a bit of a surprise for you and I understand. But at the same time, I promise you I wouldn’t be asking if it wasn’t important. Can we do this?”

Something like that, kids will completely understand and they will support you.

As an alternative, maybe you can do a staycation type of holiday. My wife and I do this all the time. We stay at home but make day activities or day trips: hikes, swimming, museums, fairs, etc. Family time is family time, and when your kids are adults they won’t remember where they went specifically; what they will remember is the experience and the people they were with, and the time together. And that’s something you can do no matter where you are.

1 Like

Take a picture of your family with you. You will stay strong for them.
I’ve mentioned here before on the forum that i grew up with both alcoholic parents and it doesn’t really go away. I have issues that I wonder what I’d be like if my younger years weren’t so awful.
I know it’s hard but you can do it. :hugs:

2 Likes

I’ve been reading along but not posted yet. Just wanted to say all the firsts are going to come and you will be so proud you made it through sober. I’ve had lots, first sober camping trip last fall, first sober bonfire last summer, hell first sober birthdays and live music shows and everything else. You can absolutely do this. You’re worth it. Your family is worth it, too, but you are what counts here.

5 Likes

Thanks Rosa.

3 Likes

Well holy crap here I am on day 7 sober as a judge. Who woulda thunk

25 Likes

Yay Zach! That’s all you brother, one day at a time, staying in touch, connecting, keeping yourself connected to the people and things that help you get to your goal.

Respect :fist:

(And celebrate! Maybe get yourself a red velvet cake today. Best cake around :yum:)

2 Likes

In the last 3 days I think Ive eaten enough for 4 people lol. I have rewarded myself lol

6 Likes

It is worth it. It’s safe and legal so it’s ok. Everything will settle later. For now it’s just staying focused on the basics :slightly_smiling_face:

Good for you brother :person_climbing:

1 Like

It has not been easy. Wanted to cave a couple times. One day at a time.

6 Likes

Zach that is bloody awesome!! I’m so proud of you! Take it one day at time and keep doing what you are doing because it’s working. Stay in touch here!

2 Likes

Well done Zach!! Keep it up! :muscle:t2::clap:t2:

2 Likes

One day at a time is all we all can do. If it was easy we wouldn’t be here. Keep going man. Doing great.

3 Likes

Interesting note about food and diet in the early days: when we take alcohol and all its calories out - they are substantial; alcoholic drinks have a lot of calories; and often, when drinking, consumption of normal food is also reduced (we eat less food than we should) - when we take the alcohol out, our bodies look for something to fill the gap. This is totally normal: the body is just rebalancing itself. It’s normal to increase food intake during this time. For now just let it be, it’s healthier than drinking any day of the week; things will settle down later. :innocent:

1 Like