I’m new here & need some mental guidance

Now… all my friends drink. I literally don’t have one friend that doesn’t. What do I do there? Because I feel as tho I talk myself into it when I’m around the people that I know want to drink.

1 Like

That’s when I like to get a non-alky beverage in my hand as quickly as possible. :+1:

1 Like

I don’t have the issue where my friends are making me tempted to drink bc of their preferred activities partly because I don’t have tons of friends, but I am vegan when no one else I know is. What helps me be the odd man out is inviting ppl to do the kinds of things where I have control over the situation. In the case of my diet I cook instead of us going out or I invite them to try a restaurant. It’s probably similar for drinking. Invite them to go on a walk or a matinae movie showing instead of the usual things that lead to drinking. Do the inviting and set the score yourself.

2 Likes

Yeah clearly I need more self control lol

Love that advice! I’m a people pleaser but I definitely need to take control over the plans without it involved.

Hey Taylor! I found loads of sober friends at AA. And you’d be surprised how many sober people there are out there. Maybe some of the mommy friends that you might not be close to would also be a place to look.

I’ve been here for years. TS was instrumental in helping me get and stay sober. Heck, I’ve “known” and saw many others posting on this thread get sober with this community as well. Great spot to be. Welcome!

3 Likes

I appreciate that, thank you! :heartpulse:

Unfortunately you may have to distance yourself from being around alcohol for a while… that might mean not seeing the friends when they’re drinking. I stayed away from bars and anywhere that alcohol was for almost 2 years (with the exception of 2 weddings). It was lonely but I didn’t do AA and if i would’ve I’m sure i could’ve met some great ppl.

2 Likes

Here’s something I found interesting. 65% of 18-24 year olds in the U.K. (my home country) drink less than weekly. 38% report not drinking AT ALL.

Now, I’m a little older than that but I agree with you- ALL of my friends drink and a number of them are alcoholics like me, even if only one of them accepts that.

I only have ONE friend who does not drink, because her father died from it like mine is going to.

When you think about those numbers, why do we only have friends who drink? I guess we self selected for people who share the same addiction to one degree or other. How sad is that and how exciting is it that there are a ton of new friends out there to be made who don’t drink?

2 Likes

Welcome. Be active here is a great firat step. In the beginning, i was on here all the time. Start there, and the rest will follow.

2 Likes

I’m in a similar situation. I’m a mother of two and when I drink I can’t stop at one. My usual is drinking one night a week, but that one night will either be quiet or im going crazy. I’m determined to stop the cycle and take care of myself and my issues for my kids and family. I’m working on the 30 day alcohol experiment and I’ve ordered This Naked Mind to read along with it. I’m listening to podcasts every second that I get while I do laundry and clean the house. You got this!

7 Likes

Welcome Taylor. There are a lot of things you can do and a lot of good folks here that can help you with good advice. Have you thought to try a 12-step program? Thinking out loud here,wonder if ACA (adult children of alchoholics) might suit you. In any case for now take it one day at a time. Glad you are here.

2 Likes

Welcome Taylor :hugs:
It looks like you got some good support here from some fine folks already.

When I first found this app I just did gratitude. Right here. Daily Gratitude, The Air Of Recovery #3
I got so much to be grateful for when I’m sober. I read it. I write it and now I’ve retrained my brain and live it. I wake up in the morning and can’t wait to list what I’m grateful for. Especially no hangovers and I’m sober.

I do Al-Anon meetings and they are very helpful as my children use to be addicts and my wife is an addict.

I’m glad you’re here. Read around and join in when your comfortable.
One day at a time. :pray:t2: ODAAT
Take what you like. Leave the rest.
:pray:t2::heart:

1 Like

Hi Taylor,

I had struggled for a long time until i found SMART. SMART can be used in conjunction with AA. It wasnt until I got into SMART recovery that things really really changed for the better in my life. They have free online meetings where help and advice is regularly and freely shared.

1 Like

I was a lot like you. I didnt drink all the time either but when i i did i binged. I also woke up to damage control and much regret. I decided i have a problem with alcohol because i cant have just one. So now im 28 days sober and feeling great. I decided i had a problem with alcohol so i choose to not drink any more and im better without it. I sleep better and work better and im just a better person to my family without it. I ho to meetings when i can too and i find it helps a lot. I wish you well on your journey.

2 Likes

Thank you :heart: I’m sick of my shit & officially at the point where I understand my way is not going the right way! Thank you for reminding me I’m not alone in this! I’ve been listening to podcasts as well!! & I’m in the middle of watching the stutz documentary & WOW! It’s so good. If you get a chance watch it. We got this

2 Likes

Thank you for the kind words. This cycle of abuse on ourselves is terrifying but can be so rewarding once we get thru it each & every day. I actually laid my head down last night & felt peaceful. Woke up this morning ready to take on my day & grateful to be able to do so.

One day at a time, we got this :heart:

1 Like

Congratulations on making it 28 days. :heart: we know we need to change when we are tired of our own shit! I’m thankful for this community & all you have been able to share
Alcohol has ruined so many things for me. Binge drinking has always been my downfall.
I’m so grateful to say today I will not drink.

I’m here for you! :heart:

I haven’t fully tried a 12-step program. I’ve never been at the point I am in my sobriety. I want it BAD this time.

I’m going to do an online meeting today.

2 Likes

Great :smiley: # One step is acceptance. You have done that. Congrats :tada: of being sober this far !! Way to go. Now I have been sober for almost 6 years now. Due GOD & AA program and the lovely support and team I have began me and I’m front of me :grin: I’m Blessed for that. You and I have matching stories to some degree​:face_holding_back_tears: Ot took me sometime to realize I was an alcoholic, and I used alcohol as a crutch for my pain and emotions. My father drinks, He is retired. I do remember him drink when I was little. He only used to drink beer at the time only. He kept a job very good job :clap:t5: he’s retired from. Saying this l, he drinks harder and like it to this day. Now that’s no excuse for me when I use to drink. What made me stop. I to done a mistake to my two love once’s and it cost me. Not them leaving me. But letting me go and figuring out my problem. I for sure need that. Since that day I changed and made a new kid for myself and haven’t picked up a drink since. I did it for me and not to loose my family who I care deeply about. You can do this and please HOLD ON!! Try going to a AA meeting and meeting people that are like you!! They can show you and help you believe me :smiley::smiley::pray:t5: I will keep u in my prayers :pray:t5: Don’t give up :up: please ok :ok_hand:t5:

1 Like