I’m new here & need some mental guidance

I’ve never been one to consider myself an alcoholic…watched both of my parents suffer from alcoholism so I feel this might’ve been more as to why I’ve always been in denial….
I’m 28 a mom of 3 but when I get stressed I always resort to alcohol. I could go weeks without drinking, but when I do I go BALLS TO THE WALL…just like I’ve done since I was a teenager. Wake up in denial of the mistakes I made while drunk & the things I may have said to people which make me look stupid… I’m sober now since yesterday & this is my first step to accepting my problem… but now what do I do?

18 Likes

Welcome to the forum🙂. Is sobriety your goal? Once we know what direction we’re taking we can plot our path.

2 Likes

Absolutely! I never want to touch a drink again & its been a difficult road for me because of it!

6 Likes

Welcome!
Take alcohol out of your options of things to help when you’re stressed. It doesn’t help.
Lots of information of things to do to help you succeed online or read around here.
You deserve it, :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Thank you so much!

2 Likes

I would dive into recovery… it can be literature, meetings, podcasts whatever you like, but spend time working on it every day. A favorite book of mine is “This Naked Mind” by Annie Grace… my favorite podcast is “The Shair podcast”.

There is tons of info here for recovery… from all of us in recovery.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I’m looking for… honest help for myself because I continue to hurt myself and others because of it. Thank you for the recommendations. I’ve been on here all day reading so many stories from all of you & it has already made me feel like I can do this.

5 Likes

You certainly can do this… you deserve a sober, happy, healthy life.

Now… all my friends drink. I literally don’t have one friend that doesn’t. What do I do there? Because I feel as tho I talk myself into it when I’m around the people that I know want to drink.

1 Like

That’s when I like to get a non-alky beverage in my hand as quickly as possible. :+1:

1 Like

I don’t have the issue where my friends are making me tempted to drink bc of their preferred activities partly because I don’t have tons of friends, but I am vegan when no one else I know is. What helps me be the odd man out is inviting ppl to do the kinds of things where I have control over the situation. In the case of my diet I cook instead of us going out or I invite them to try a restaurant. It’s probably similar for drinking. Invite them to go on a walk or a matinae movie showing instead of the usual things that lead to drinking. Do the inviting and set the score yourself.

2 Likes

Yeah clearly I need more self control lol

Love that advice! I’m a people pleaser but I definitely need to take control over the plans without it involved.

Hey Taylor! I found loads of sober friends at AA. And you’d be surprised how many sober people there are out there. Maybe some of the mommy friends that you might not be close to would also be a place to look.

I’ve been here for years. TS was instrumental in helping me get and stay sober. Heck, I’ve “known” and saw many others posting on this thread get sober with this community as well. Great spot to be. Welcome!

3 Likes

I appreciate that, thank you! :heartpulse:

Unfortunately you may have to distance yourself from being around alcohol for a while… that might mean not seeing the friends when they’re drinking. I stayed away from bars and anywhere that alcohol was for almost 2 years (with the exception of 2 weddings). It was lonely but I didn’t do AA and if i would’ve I’m sure i could’ve met some great ppl.

2 Likes

Here’s something I found interesting. 65% of 18-24 year olds in the U.K. (my home country) drink less than weekly. 38% report not drinking AT ALL.

Now, I’m a little older than that but I agree with you- ALL of my friends drink and a number of them are alcoholics like me, even if only one of them accepts that.

I only have ONE friend who does not drink, because her father died from it like mine is going to.

When you think about those numbers, why do we only have friends who drink? I guess we self selected for people who share the same addiction to one degree or other. How sad is that and how exciting is it that there are a ton of new friends out there to be made who don’t drink?

2 Likes

Welcome. Be active here is a great firat step. In the beginning, i was on here all the time. Start there, and the rest will follow.

2 Likes

I’m in a similar situation. I’m a mother of two and when I drink I can’t stop at one. My usual is drinking one night a week, but that one night will either be quiet or im going crazy. I’m determined to stop the cycle and take care of myself and my issues for my kids and family. I’m working on the 30 day alcohol experiment and I’ve ordered This Naked Mind to read along with it. I’m listening to podcasts every second that I get while I do laundry and clean the house. You got this!

7 Likes

Welcome Taylor. There are a lot of things you can do and a lot of good folks here that can help you with good advice. Have you thought to try a 12-step program? Thinking out loud here,wonder if ACA (adult children of alchoholics) might suit you. In any case for now take it one day at a time. Glad you are here.

2 Likes