I’m New To This - Is AA The Only Way?

Hello all! My sober date is Dec 3rd, 2021. Like a lot of you, I am struggling with the consequences of my drinking. I may lose my job on Monday Dec. 13th. I don’t know what I’ll do to avoid homelessness. I am taking naltrexone and it is working. I am taking trazodone to sleep and that is working and I am taking gabapentin for anxiety and that is helping. I’m just at the beginning of my recovery. I also go to AA but do not have a sponsor. I don’t know if the 12 steps are for me. Anyone stay sober without AA?

15 Likes

Hi! Welcome to the forum! I am almost 6 weeks in, and for the moment no AA nor a sponsor. Basically my crutches are, having opened up to the people around me (friends, family), and the support of this group!
There will be no more booze in my house, and I started filling up my new (precious) free time with new (or long lost) activities; going to the gym, reading, going for walks in nature etc… Stay strong! :muscle:t2:

10 Likes

Check these topics - people have stayed sober using some of these in addition to AA, or as a different way. AA is one way, and a good way, to get and stay sober. It’s not the only way and may not be the best way for you. But keep an open mind no matter what and stay focused on your sobriety.

6 Likes

Thank you Jesile! Yes, opening up to my family is a trigger. They really don’t understand the disease, especially my sister who has mental health issues of her own.
Thank you! You stay strong as well!

Brian

2 Likes

Welcome to the group!
By no means is AA the only way to quit but it is a really great option.
This is my 2nd time in AA and I’m currently on day 21 (previous I had just under 8 months).
As it stands right now I haven’t done any of the steps nor do I have a sponsor. But I find just going to the meetings, hearing other peoples stories, sharing my own and having the coin they gave me for 24 Hours in my pocket helps me retain my focus.

Now with that said, again, AA is not the only way to quit. You’ve already made it this far without it. Some people are strong enough, have the focus, willpower, determination, whatever you want to call it to just wake up one day and say “I’m done with booze” and live the rest of their live without a drink (my nan did that with smoking). Some people use meditation, for some people just talking about it is help enough. I also find this website to be an amazing help.

I guess the short of it… If it works, doesn’t hurt you or anyone else and gets you to where you wanna be, I say try it

5 Likes

Hi Justin!

Thanks for your reply! I am like you in many ways. I collect my 24 hour chips and I just listen. Sometimes I share but, for now, I’m not ready to do the 12 steps with a stranger.
I admit I’m an alcoholic and that my life has become unmanageable so I’m setting about making it better. I took a cognitive behavioural therapy course with a counsellor so I have those tools…never used them because I never stopped drinking. However, with the medication I’m taking I suddenly feel a weight off my shoulders and there is no temptation at the moment. It’s only been since December 3rd but it’s the longest I’ve gone without feeling even tempted to drink.
Take care of yourself,
Brian

5 Likes

I’ll echo what Scrambles said, I go to meetings and understand parts of the literature, but haven’t formally worked the steps with a sponsor. I am not shutting the door on that, I just need to process some stuff with a therapist at this point. I love the community and dear friends I have at my home group at AA. It definitely keeps me sober. Rooting for you and try different groups until you find your “tribe”.

3 Likes

Thats cool that in a way your going about it the same way I am.
Sitting in a meeting helps me retain me focus and keep pushing forward. I’m not gonna sit here and say that I am going to or not going to do the steps because I honestly have no idea. All I know is I’ve cracked 21 days with just chilling in some meetings, hanging out on here and staying positive and determined.
Keep pushing forward and stay positive

1 Like

For some on here it is the only way, for some it isnt. It comes down to this, on your path of sobriety, what actions are you doing to address the reasons you drink…it takes work.

4 Likes

Welcome!

I’ve been sober for over 3 years now and I’ve been to AA meetings but not regular enough to attribute to my sobriety. I do however, attribute this community to my sobriety.

I will say, a lot of things I’ve learned and adapted in my day to day life has come from members that use AA, so, I guess in a way, AA has had more influence on me than I’ve given credit.:man_shrugging:

7 Likes

Welcome. AA isn’t the only way, but a lot of people find it to be useful. I’ve always been of the mind that I will take whatever works for me and leave the rest. If there are helpful things about AA, or going to meetings, then focus on that and don’t worry about the parts that don’t seem to be for you–but also don’t disregard anything before you’ve given it a good. Sometimes we have an aversion to something up front for various reasons (conscious and subconscious) and it can keep us from even giving something a try.

I wish you the very best in what you’re facing. Hang in there.

3 Likes

It works for me. But I also like to learn about other programs and use the tools I pick up along the way from other places too.

4 Likes

AA can be really helpful. It will make you feel better anyway. Everyone is so nice. You may find some resources there for jobs, or housing for if you do become homeless. On another level, you can tell your job that you have been going, and it may make a difference in if they decide to let you go or not.
It is good that you are taking medicine and are on the right path. AA friends couldnt hurt. I never felt pressures to do anything I did not want to. It really will make you feel better. Keep reaching out here, too.

2 Likes

I drank for 40 years and I just made it to 11 months sober with AA. My life has completely transformed from what I was. Your hesitation about the steps is perfectly normal. I’m not saying it’s the only way but it works for me. I too was skeptical and an agnostic but I found a way by listening to others that it can be done. Best part is, it’s the only free program of recovery that I’m aware of. If you decide to try AA, give it 3 good months. If you’re not completely satisfied, we’ll refund your misery. :wink:

4 Likes

As previous posters have said AA/NA is not the only way but after 4 years in and out of the rooms I finally decided to listen to what was taught, find a sponsor and do stepwork. I think I have found a lifetime home although I am just working on my 6 month tag.

2 Likes

Hi. Im not an AA guy but I did do the steps with a sponsor because…why not. Ill take all the help I can get. I knew the person from the meetings. It doesn’t have to be a stranger and probably shouldn’t be a good friend. For me it was the objective view from another person. You share what you want to share.

3 Likes

Hi Brian, thinking of you today because of the significant day you have coming tomorrow (you said Dec 13 may be a day you might lose your job). It’s a difficult, difficult time and no doubt emotionally intense. You are not alone. Keep reaching out and don’t give up.

2 Likes

Thank you Matt. I won’t give up, that is for sure.

2 Likes

Yes, objectivity is the way to prevent fooling yourself or deluding oneself.
I need to get to know a person first though before I share.
“Why not?”…EXACTLY.

Peace and long life,

Brian

2 Likes

for me AA was the only way ,maybe today there are other ways but i only know long term sober people who are in AA.

5 Likes