I’m ready, but need help

Hi everyone, just downloaded this app and really have no idea what I’m doing here. But tonight I decided to take all the bottles in my house and pour them in the sink. I’ve been struggling with alcohol addiction for well over 2 years now and the quarantine situation has only fueled my problem. I’ve hit rock bottom and reached a level of unhappiness that I haven’t experienced in 29 years of life. I’m ready to turn my life around be happy again. Any advice/motivation on handle the first night, first day, first week…would be greatly appreciated. Much love to everyone out there trying to take this first step.

12 Likes

Hi there :wave:t3: you have come to right place. This entire process is a journey. You will have many ups and downs. Sometime you’ll want to quit. Do not give in to the cravings. Stay strong :muscle:t3: and keep yourself busy. Best wishes and congrats for taking the first step!

3 Likes

Welcome and good job making that first step. I won’t lie, it might be a little rough for the first week depending on how much and how often you drank. But take time for you, do things to help get your mind off drinking when the urge gets strong, visit this forum and take a look at the other online resources available. You can do this. You are worth it.

1 Like

Hey Kyle, welcome! We a crazy bunch, but that’s what keeps it real.

How much were you drinking? This will change the advice on immediate effects.

Overall advice would be, remember, all you have to get through is right now. Like, this second. I had to break it down to seconds pretty often in the early days. At the most, all you have to get through is today. Tomorrow will come with its own challenges tomorrow. If you stay present in today you will learn important things that can make your fight easier tomorrow. And that’s the goal in the early days, what can I learn to help make this easier.

I hope to see you around more! This place has saved my life for over 2 and a half years. I wish I would have found it on day 1, but I’m still pleased that I’m here.

5 Likes

What she said :point_up_2::point_up_2:. Welcome! We’re glad you’re here.

1 Like

Welcome Kyle. My advice is read or listen to any alcohol resources. Hearing/reading other people’s experiences makes you soon realise that you are in a unique group.

The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober by Catherine Gray was my constant companion in the first month or 2.

And reaching out whenever you need us. X

1 Like

There is a saying I just heard on a Wayne Dyer speech (motivational speaker). " When the student is ready, the teacher will come." Progress won’t easily happen unless you are truly ready for change. Teachers come in many forms. Many people on this forum have so much insight so take advantage of their experience. The fact that you reached out and that you so wisely dumped your bottles means you, as the student, are ready. Be proud and embrace your new journey. Some moments will suck yet let those moments remind you how you never want to repeat those feelings. Onward and upward!

1 Like

Hi ,welcome,I can only go on my experience and not others,be gentle and kind with yourself,lots of baths ,lots of movies and chilled days ,also whilst letting your body rest it’s really important to get out once a day into the fresh air a walk ,as the days go by your start to feel better stronger clearer ,b patient,expect to have every emotion under the sun happen in a millisecond it’s all normal ,sleep and drink plenty of water and most importantly STICK AROUND AND SHARE YOUR DAILY JOURNEY WELCOME :rainbow: :rainbow::star2::rainbow::star2::rainbow::rainbow::star2::rainbow::star2::star2::rainbow::rainbow::star2::rainbow::kissing_heart::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow:

1 Like

Wow, thanks everyone for all the kind words. I was nervous to make a post but it’s encouraging to know that so many people out there have experienced these same struggles but have found ways to overcome them. I woke up this morning and for the first time in over 2 years I felt a sense of purpose and motivation. I know this journey won’t be easy but I’m determined to make changes. This afternoon instead of taking my first drink of the day, I’m going to go for a bike ride instead. Thank you again for the responses, they truly help.

-Kyle

8 Likes

Welcome, Kyle. Here’s a thread full of great places to start and continue your sober journey. Resources for our recovery.
Blessings on your house :pray:.

1 Like

Way to go, Kyle!!

1 Like

3 days and 10 hours and still going strong! I forgot what it feels like to wake up without a hangover but it’s been amazing. I’m up earlier in the mornings and more productive with work. Afternoons and evenings have been a challenge but I’ve been finding things to keep me occupied. I got this!

1 Like

your doing great mate, day 3 is normally a tricky one. Stay focused stay strong and keep your eye on the prize, life, remember everything your going to go through is perfectly normal so just go with the flow one day at a time.

1 Like