I messed up. But I want to start again

I wanted to put this in the lounge section but i cant find it. If any of the MODs read this, could you put it in there for me? Thanks :blush:

Sorry this is going to be long but I need this to be my confession so I can start again with a clean slate.

I was doing well in my sobriety, I had almost 10 months and i actually found it pretty easy as I wasnā€™t a daily drinker/user so when I decided to stop I just did it and didnā€™t look back. Things were good, well sort of, sobriety gave me the clarity to see exactly where I was in life and the things I didnā€™t like and needed to fix/work on. I could see it was going to be a tough road but I was glad to be on that road because at least I was heading towards a happier destination.

Then covid happened.

Situation was; Iā€™m a carer worker and a single parent, my daughter goes to her dadā€™s twice per week when I go to work. This has been our routine for the past 4 years and itā€™s worked quite well. Thing is, her dad lives with his mother who is in her 60s, very anxious lady and she has some health problems so she didnā€™t want our daughter in her house as she was going into full isolation.
Ok fine. Me and my daughterā€™s dad get on reasonably well and have done for the past few years, and at the time (this was in the beginning of march) we all only thought lock down would be for a few weeks, and as I need him to look after our daughter so I can go to work (he doesnā€™t provide for our daughter financially and I have no family of my own so I feel very responsible in that respect, that I need to work and keep my job to provide her the best life I can, walking out of my job didnā€™t feel like something I could do or that I wanted to do) it felt like a good idea for him to move into our home, for ā€œa few weeksā€. This was a mistakeā€¦ deep breath

Little background;
My daughterā€™s dad is a heavy ā€œfunctionalā€ user, mostly benzos, painkillers and weed.
This has always been the case for him since he was 16, we became a couple when we were both early 20s. For me, it was more recreational and was for him in a way, but he smoked weed everyday and as he was very well ā€œconnectedā€ to drug dealers (where as I wasnā€™tā€¦ ) he always had a supply of something or other. We were together for 7 years, had our daughter when we had been together 6 years (by which point I stepped away from drug use so I could be a good mother, his drug use increased and he became addicted to benzos) I broke it off when dd (Iā€™m gonna use ā€œddā€ for daughter from now on as itā€™s easierā€¦) was a baby, hard decision but it was breaking me, I had PND, and well, he wasnt the same person :frowning: he moved in with his mum, I moved to the country side and have been on my own with her since, pretty much. My life is her and work. Itā€™s hard. But I do what I need to do. His life hasnā€™t changed.

Anyway: back to March;
He moves in with us and brings all his benzos etc with him. At that point I had been drug free for years and drink free for 10 months (alcohol was my DOC before I got serious about being sober, weekend/night binge drinker) and you guessed it, it didnā€™t take me long to start dabbling too.
I made it a week, then the whole situation got on top of me, work; as Iā€™m a care worker it has been really tough. Him living here; like I said we only thought it would be for a few weeks but as time went on it felt more permanent and it was suffocating; lock down; bored and had no where to go, I did my whole fucking garden and redecorated a room in the first two weeks just to keep busy! He kept offering me them and Iā€™m not blaming him, thatā€™s just what addicts do, he wanted me to join the party and I gave in.
Obviously we had our daughter so I was mega anxious about keping her happy/occupied too.
Then I also started my long awaited CBT at the end of April. The first month of that was brutal as I had to bring everything to the surface that id buried. The pain of that was mind blowing in its self. And then also the shame of the fact I was taking them (benzos) in the first place, the guilt etc so I took more to dull that as I just couldnā€™t see a way out! He was here and he couldnā€™t go anyway as he had nowhere to go, in the middle of a pandemic. So it was sort of like ā€œwhen in Romeā€, you know?
I wouldnā€™t take them everyday, I was still working and doing what I needed. Some days none, some days one, some days loads. But they were always there in my system and I didnā€™t realise the damage those little blue tablets would do.

I kicked him out eventually.
He was being mean to me and dd, he kept breaking things in my home.
When I was at work Iā€™d be soooooo crazy anxious about our daughter as I knew he was alone but with no other responsible adult there to help (this is why he lives with his mum) and I didnā€™t wnat to be taking drug but itā€™s hard when they were getting pushed in my face and yes they helped me deal with things at the time.

One weekend I came back from work and he had ā€œaccidentallyā€ kicked a hole in my door. We were arguing (tensions were getting high anyway and had been for a few weeks, hed been living with us for 3 months by this point) and he was awful so I put all his stuff in my car and drove him to his mums and left him outside. :flushed: I felt I had no choice, I was breaking again just like how I felt after I had our dd.
I had to tell work I couldnā€™t come back for now (thankfully they were ok with it) and now Iā€™ve been in lock down alone with dd for the past month whilst my brain is healing from the benzos. Let me tell you benzo withdrawal is no joke. It has been horrendous.
BUT I started drinking again :frowning: itā€™s like Iā€™m healing from all of that but Iā€™m ruining my attempts by drinking.
I just wanted to stop feeling everything for a while. But itā€™s no good. I know thereā€™s no easy way out so only sobriety will do.
Iā€™m still having my CBT, I was given 20 sessions and have only completed 6 so still have a way to go.
I just want my old life back. To be where I was at the start of this year, clear and happy, yes I had issues but I was working through them. Life has stopped and Iā€™ve been in such a bad place mentally, I need to pull myself out of this before I do something dangerous or irreparable.
I re-set my counter today.

Thank you for reading that if you managed.
Iā€™m sorry itā€™s so long and Iā€™m a little embarrassed by the sheer length of it but it was important for me that I got that out. :purple_heart:

37 Likes

Thank you for your share. Not too long at all.
(Re: the lounge; youā€™re not currently a ā€œregularā€ status anymore, I see youā€™re status is ā€œmemberā€, so thatā€™s why you canā€™t find the lounge. Stick around, read, post, and youā€™ll be back to regular status in no time)
Iā€™m so glad youā€™re back & fighting! Sounds like a challenging few months. Hugs :hugs:

2 Likes

It sounds like you have had a tough time but look at the positives. You see where you went wrong and are trying to fix things. Use this site for support and focus on the positives.you will make it one day at a time. A window will open. :heart:

3 Likes

Ahhhh thatā€™ll explain it then.
:blush:

Yeah Iā€™ll get back to where I was. Thereā€™s really no other way.
I feel like Iā€™m half healing but half in shock that this has all happened. Iā€™m sure others feel the same and life hasnā€™t been easy for most this year.
Everything just feels like such a mess.
I wake up feeling different each day, not a steady incline towards good, some days are hard, some days are easy and light then Iā€™ll wake up feeling back to square one again. nothing is ā€œsettledā€ or calm anymore and I guess last week (I drank over the weekend) I was just sick of feeling the constant battle and needed to give in.

But no more. I donā€™t want THIS to be my life.
I can do and be more than this.

6 Likes

Honestly dont beat yourself up about it to much! Everytime you fall is another opportunity to get back up, im a carer myself and understand greatly since the covid it feels like stress levels have gone from 0-10000 these few months, one bad decision does not define you, it moulds you into your better self, be strong :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Awww thank you :blush::hugs:

It has been hard hasnā€™t it!?
My job felt ā€œeasyā€ before all this. (Im an LD support worker) Iā€™ve cared for the same residents for years and now it just stopped, they donā€™t understand. Everyone was/is so scared. Donā€™t get me started on the masks!! :tired_face::mask: I got covid (they think, I didnā€™t get a test as this was back in march) so that was scary. And all the while I was just holding everything together whilst no one was looking after me (including myself!) . I think I burnt out actually. Yes the benzos didnā€™t help but I think I would have been like this anyway, in a way.
I should have just left the job at the beginning now i look back and all this wouldnt have happened :roll_eyes::rofl:
But oh well, this is where I am now so all I can do is learn and heal.

1 Like

Thank you :blush::blush::purple_heart:

1 Like

100 percent, im in the mental health side myself an can honestly hear what your saying, trying to care for peoples mental health while struggling with our own is life irony! The amount of challenging behaviour that has risen towards support workers these past few months is terrible and i think because of that we forget the work life balance and forget about ourselfs and thats why we sometimes make these bad decisions! Just go easy on yourself your human!

1 Like

Oh Jen thatā€™s heartbreaking. Iā€™m so sorry for you love. I feel your desperation and worry and shame and grief.

You made a courageous move, taking action like you did. It was the right thing to do. You are finding a healthy way to be, at this unstable time. Your daughter will learn from you, that nothing, nothing, ever has to make her sacrifice her health, well-being, and safety.

Youā€™re a good mother Jen. Youā€™re a good person. You deserve a safe, sober life where you can be your full self. You will have it love - you will have it. Keep walking your path love. Youā€™ll get there :innocent: :heart:

4 Likes

Hi @Solanaceae, reading your story the main sensation that lingers with me is a feeling of respect and acknowledgement for you for your decision to kick your ex out again and start over with such bold determination and doubtlessness. I usually feel shame and hurt pride reading relapse stories, as I know Iā€™m not big enough to be able to forgive myself anything, so I never feel comfortable to give the advice to others to forgive themselves, but your story really just shows how strong you are. You will walk the walk again and be just as good as you were before your relapse in a few weeks or months, that just come out so clear. I really admire you for what you do for yourself and your daughter. You deserve the good things you work for and thatā€™ll come your way again.

Stay strong!

3 Likes

Hey girl, itā€™s good to see you! I feel every bit of that pain youā€™ve gone through. COVID affected me in the very same way. Being trapped with an addict/alcoholic. Wanting to just forget those months. Iā€™ve tried over and over to find the motivation to stay sober in that time but just couldnā€™t do it. Got to 10 days once and ruined that. But we have to keep trying. You already know how good it feels on the other side. I know its frustrating to have to start at the beginning again but we can do it. Iā€™m on day 9 after a massive fuck up on the 4th. You can do it again too :heart::heart::heart: Hope to see you around more!

5 Likes

Thank you all :hugs: youā€™re such amazing, kind hearted people. :purple_heart:

Sorry to hear that @Just_Laura But we will do this again. We have to :muscle:

I wish Iā€™d just come here at the start but before I knew it it was happening and then I felt like a fraud. I was just trying to get through it and hoping it would end but it went on and on and onā€¦ so I had to make the decision that I did, kicking him out, again! But now I look back and wonder what it was all for, i should have done it in the beginning.
Iā€™m not sure about how lock down has been in your countries but in the UK the government was giving it to us in 3 week segments (:rofl:) so at first we thought it would be 3 weeks, then they added an other 3 weeks, then anotherā€¦ and I was so worried about losing my job, financial security and letting my colleagues and boss down I felt like I didnā€™t want to give up. And obviously benzos take you away from reality so I just had tunnel vision and saw it as a means to an end without looking at the bigger picture and noticing what was happening to my mind and wellbeing.

I feel like the benzo withdrawal is coming to an end (itā€™s been 4 weeks, and I wasnā€™t taking many the last two weeks of him being here) so thankfully Iā€™m in a better place than I was a month ago (that was the WORST!! :disappointed_relieved:) but I could kick myself for drinking over the weekend and worse, around my daughter :disappointed: I donā€™t want her having memories of me like that. It wasnt crazy and I wasnā€™t falling about the place or anything like that but kids know when something is ā€œoffā€ with mum or dad donā€™t they?
BUT itā€™s done now. In a way, it was needed to give me a shock and for me to stop wallowing like I have been doing.

5 Likes

Your going to be OK lady, yes I read it all :grin:but it sounds to me like you know what you want and there is no reason why you canā€™t have it. Everyoneā€™s path is different and like you Iā€™ve found recovery very easy at times but each relapse seems to make it harder to stop each time but with that deep down belief that you want to change and one day will change then your life can only go in one direction. Your not weak your not different and your not so special that you canā€™t be affected by life so here we go again, nothing lost and nothing gained. This has all happened for a reason and one day youā€™ll look back and know what that was. For now though today is just another day, full of possibilities if weā€™re prepared to go through a little discomfort. So today Iā€™m proud of you for being honest, proud of you for being open and proud of you for being here.
Itā€™s the place to be apparently :grin::pray::100::heart:

4 Likes

I would move it to the lounge for you, but I believe your status is member, not regular, so you would not see it. :heart:

2 Likes

Each one of us I think has had this happen to us at one time or another. I know I have. Your only human. And you cant blame yourself for that! You can only know that each time you learn something new along the way and become stronger and more independent. You see things more wide eye about your addiction that you didnt see before. Itā€™s like watching a movie for a second or third time and seeing things that you didnt see before when you watched it. It doesnt mean keep doing it, it just means be more aware this time around and go slower in the process of the observation. You will get there! We will all be here for you along the way!

2 Likes

So glad your back here! Youā€™ve been through a lot, yet still found your way back :revolving_hearts:

2 Likes

Hi @SassyRocks :blush: Yeah I got mixed up sorry. I was a regular before I drifted and didnā€™t know that stopped when you leave for a while so I was looking for the lounge and got all confused :rofl:
Makes sense though, you stop being ā€œregularā€ so get the regular status taken off. Of course!:woman_facepalming::rofl:

2 Likes

That makes a lot of sense thank you :blush:

Itā€™s really nice to see you back, lady. We love you just the same!:kissing_heart::heart:

1 Like

It happened to me before as well, so I understand. No worries!! Glad you are back. :heart:

2 Likes