I need help but embarrassed to admit it

Congrats on day 1, hey when I first started never thought i would make it far but I did, will power and determination to change did it for me, welcome to the forum and you can change I know you can, a’lot of people have it in them they just don’t know they do

Would like you to know if AA doesn’t feel like home NA can be your place of recovery too.

Welcome on this forum!

It helped me loads when i got in early recovery…

Ask anything don’t do it alone anymore… We just don’t have to.

Please watch the “roadmap to recovery” for me thats addict 101 it gives you an insight in your illness and what lays ahead of you.

1 Like

Great job admitting it to someone. I too was embarrassed to admit I had a drinking problem, only because I didn’t think it was a problem. I go to AA/NA meetings and without those I dont think I’d be where I am today! I suggest downloading a daily reading on your phone to read every morning. They can give some great motivation

1 Like

Thank you! Any suggestions??

Here are the daily books I read out of
“The eye opener”
“One foot in front of the other”
And “in gods care”
They are just good motivational readings to start your day off on the right path

1 Like

Welcome @ELO it took so much courage to open up here & I’m happy to meet a courageous soul like you. As someone said to me in my sobriety journey: it’s a mission, a quest, and you are the hero. Is it intimidating? Hell yes! But can you do it with persistence? Also hell yes!

You sound like you want a change in your life. If you keep reaching out & connecting, you will achieve it. Addiction is a disease of escaping and avoiding life. Connection & engaging with life, and persisting with that, one day at a time, is the cure. You can do it.

Check out some of the resources and meetings here. Many have online options. You can just listen in if you want (and as some posters above have noted, take a look around, there are many different approaches to choose from!):
Resources for our recovery

A warm warm welcome to you E. It’s lovely to meet you :innocent:

1 Like

@ELO
ELO Welcome to Talking Sober!!!
This is a fantastic forum of people like you trying to find a better life.

You are a badass woman by taking the first step to sobriety. It is a long journey to get to self awareness, self care, and sobriety. Others have posted meeting resources … there are AA, NA, SMART (what I attend), etc. Meetings help you have a support network on this journey.

Otherwise spend time looking at what people are posting and read. You will get the hang of it.

1 Like

Hello ELO, welcome to the group. Admitting you have a problem means you really want.to change your life. I agree with the AA advice. Please read the AA Big Book. That is the one thing that made sense out of why I drank like I did. You can read it for free on AA.org.
I too had tried to stop drinking many time but I was miserable! After reading the Big Book and working the 12 steps I found myself to be sober and happy. That seems to be the key to all of this. Once I was happy in my sobriety I was able to look at the other issues in my life.
It takes work but it is so worth it. Just being sober won’t work, believe me, I tried over and over. You have to be sober and happy with you!

1 Like

welcome to your future, wish you well on your journey and remember if you want to drink pick up your phone first not a bottle. Together is how we all do this. :grin:

3 Likes

I read the Unexpected Joy Of Being Sober and then This Naked Mind. I think you can also listen to them on audible. Fantastic books! I feel free from alcohol. I was a heavy drinker, almost full bottle of vodka a day. 48 days today AF and I’m so happy to be sober!

5 Likes

Yep! Done that. For 30 years. Telling myself I won’t drink this evening. Come 5pm I’m in the off licence buying wine. Stopped caring what my wife and son thought.

So you have it in your sights at an early stage!

Lots of advice, ideas and unconditional support here. I don’t use AA as I had some bad experiences but I certainly recommend trying anything which stops you from picking up the first drink.

I cannot recommend tiredofthinkingaboutdrinking website highly enough for starters.

Nothing to be embarrassed about here.

2 Likes

The best thing I learned was to just tell my wife that I’m struggling today and this what I’m doing about it. It keeps the accountability with me. This is may be a way to help you come out and tell someone. Also, whoever your afraid to tell, if your living with someone, probably knows.

2 Likes

Yes. Having a partner who ‘gets it’ is invaluable.

1 Like

And ‘Blackout’ by Sarah Heppola. All really good support reading.

5 Likes

Youre right …he knows …and I have promised to do better…unfortunately haven’t kept my word…so i feel like he’ll take it as empty promises

did good and DIDN’T get anything after work today… i work right next to a liquor store too :blush:

8 Likes

Keep practicing admitting it. It will get easier each time. Sobriety takes rigerous honesty and you are on the right path.

3 Likes

@Quit4myDaughter
This is correct. As long as you think it isn’t that bad, or someone is worse than me you will have a hard time. Admitting is the hardest step.

2 Likes

Welcome! :slight_smile: I joined this site only a few weeks ago and the amount of support that everyone offers is awesome. We are all in this together and can relate to each other in one way or another. Good luck, you got this!

3 Likes

Thank you @brittb12