I once knew a man

I once knew a staggeringly handsome man who wore dark hair and the most beautiful hazel eyes. An extraordinary extrovert, this man had a contagious laugh and a jubilant energy; a kind of energy that spread like fire and radiated to all who encircled him. He loved his kids and football and thanksgiving and Tom Petty and slapstick humor. He made everyone around him feel like the most important person in the world. He once owned a lovely three bedroom home in a decent neighborhood in Lacey, Washington where his wife and his precious two children lived with him. He had a fantastic career in the Carpenterā€™s Union and enjoyed vacationing in Mexico each year. This man died of a fentanyl overdose on August 30th, 2022 at the young age of 36. This man was my husband. Thatā€™s right, Daniel Justin Brown, husband, son, father, brother, family man, addict. You see towards the end, Daniel woke up every morning, physically ill, his body surging with pain until he would succumb to the desire to resort to numbness. True, unabashed addiction is a level of suffering I wouldnā€™t wish on anyone.

Daniel died on August 30th, 2022, in a tiny porta potty, with foil and a tooter in his lap. At 32 years-old, I was given the weight of telling our children of their daddyā€™s passingā€¦ He once told me that the only thing he ever did right in this world was having a part in creating Daniel and Adriana and he clung to that until the day that he left this earth. My only hope is that, in his final moments in this life, he knew that he did more than just create them. In their short years with him, they have been supplied with a lifetime of hilarity, the drive and desire to reach out to others, memories of him making an absolute fool of himself simply to bring joy to those surrounding him. I see him in both of them. Not a ā€œjunkie,ā€ a ā€œwasteā€ or someone ā€œdeserving of deathā€ because, you know, ā€œwhat do you expect when you do drugs?ā€ Yes, these are all things Iā€™ve read about Daniel Justin Browns tragic fentanyl overdose. I see him though as a husband, son, father, brother, family man. Compassion over judgement is how I would like everyone to see him. Because each person that has fallen victim to addiction was once someone to somebodyā€¦

Addiction is something you are unable to give up, despite the suffering it causes. Once the addict goes into a craving state, itā€™s beyond willpower or intelligence. Intelligence can actually be a detriment because the smarter people are, the more they believe they can think their way out of the problem. I know that you hear that voice in your head. I know it is loud every day when it speaks. It tries to convince you that you want to use. It reminds you of all the ā€œgood timesā€ you had before sobriety. It tries to convince you that things were easier when you were using. When you are in places associated with using (or even places similar to places associated with using), it floods your mind with memories. That voice comes with half-truths. It brings just enough truth for you to be willing to listen to what it is saying. But a half-truth is a whole lie. The voice tells you it is trying to help. Just know that the goal is to drag you back to the hell youā€™ve chosen to walk away from. The life youā€™re living right now might not exactly be heaven, but it isnā€™t that hell youā€™ve chosen to leave behind. The voice is a liar. Keep going. Donā€™t look back. Ever.

59 Likes

Oh Sarah, what a gift you have given us by sharing your beautiful story so longingly written. Itā€™s a reminder we all need to carry with us that this is not a game. Iā€™ll hold you and your family in my heart. Please take care.

11 Likes

Thank you for sharing this @Sarahyab

I needed this.

8 Likes

Absolutely devastating. The cunning, baffling and insidious disease of addiction wants us dead. Thank you for sharing. It wasnā€™t long ago that I was that addict using in a dirty porta potty. You touched on so many good points. Once in the grip of addiction logical thinking goes right out the window, our brain tells us we need the drug to survive. No matter how much we love our family and children, the drugs control us. This disease does not discriminate; rich, poor, old, young, black, whiteā€¦ I am praying I will never give in to those voices again. Sending you so much love.

7 Likes

Thank you for sharing this. Iā€™m so sorry for your loss :pensive:. You and your family are in my prayers :pray:t2::two_hearts: addiction takes too many to soon. :pensive:

5 Likes

"ā€¦a ā€˜junkie,ā€™ a ā€˜wasteā€™ or someone ā€˜deserving of deathā€™ because, you know, ā€˜what do you expect when you do drugs?ā€™ "

You know, (Iā€™m pretty sure) NONE of us here would EVER think or say those things. Nor would ANY decent, caring people. The people who wrote and/or said those things are ignorant, hateful, probably self-loathing people and their disgusting ā€œopinionsā€ donā€™t matter one whit.

F_ _ K those people.

Hang in there. And honor your husbandā€™s memory by staying clean. :muscle:

8 Likes

ā€œOf course, thereā€™s no right or wrong way to grieve. ā€¦ Intense feelings of loss can make it hard to find a balance between solitude and isolation. We do our best to be honest with ourselves. Letting others love us when weā€™re grieving helps us avoid the trap of old ideas.ā€

ā€œI will trust the process, feel the pain, and allow others to feel it with me today. I will let others love me, even when Iā€™d rather they didnā€™t.ā€

Those were segments from todayā€™s Spiritual Principle A Day. I couldnā€™t help but think about it while reading what you posted.

I donā€™t know if it helps ā€¦ I HOPE it helps ā€¦ And I COMPLETELY understand if it DOESNā€™T help.

Whatever the case, thanks for being vulnerable and real and sharing that. Keep fightinā€™ that fight and doinā€™ the next right thing(s) for the right reason(s).

:v:t2::heart::metal:t2:

6 Likes

Beautifully written. Thank you for sharing that. Iā€™m sorry for your loss and I admire your strength.

6 Likes

Thank you for this. Itā€™s what I didnā€™t know I needed to hear. :heart:

3 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to read itā¤ļø

3 Likes

Youā€™re very welcome; thereā€™s more to it, I just put a couple of quotes from it that I thought might have been applicable.

And I can 100% empathize with the loss. I havenā€™t lost a significant other but Iā€™ve lost plenty of close friends and I lived in that same world (heroin, fetty, crack, meth, pills and combinations of 'em) for 30-some years so I also know the wreckage and the ruin. However, you are not alone! Believe that ā€¦ you are not alone; hang in there, we are here for you (the world over).

3 Likes

Congratulations on your sobriety ā€¦ each one of those days you havenā€™t usedā€¦ and for making the choice to live your life, you and your childrenā€™s instead of as you said, ā€˜staying in the darkā€™ā€¦ ā€˜Living with him ā€¦ and living without himā€™
Iā€™m so glad youā€™re here at TS where you have support and can also spread the message ā€¦ fentanyl kills ā€¦ it can ā€¦ and it will.
Big hugs.

4 Likes

Thank you! I agree with you. F em. To say there wasnā€™t a time where I was angry with Daniel, would be a lie. I have shaken my fist and screamed to the sky asking him why he stepped into that porta potty that morning. I never planned on raising two children alone. He promised to always be there, he did not keep that promise. Though at the end of the day when I step back all Iā€™m left with is this, Daniel was a deeply hurting person, who fought tirelessly against his demons, Iā€™m so incredibly sad he didnā€™t make it but, I think heā€™s ok nowā€¦ So I will focus on his goodness, as there is so much of it. I will not allow the tragedy of his death to negate the beauty, of his life.

8 Likes

Thank you for sharing so honestly. :heart::people_hugging: Grief is so unique and also a shared experience for those who have lost loved ones. I am glad you are here and honoring your Daniel thru your love and sobriety. Many hugs.

6 Likes

@Sarahyab im crying. thank you for this deeply loving tribute. i am so sorry for your familyā€™s loss, and i am so sorry for sweet Davidā€™s pain. thank you for reminding us of the innocence and goodness that dwells within, qualities of our true essence which are so often strapped with the burden of coping with the impossible pain of life on earth. as you so beautifully illustrated, the love of compassion allows us to look past our failings, and into the absolute preciousness of ourselves and each other. your children are so fortunate to have wonderful memories with their father, and so fortunate to have a mother like you who continues to love and honor him. my heart is swelling this morning for you guys. thank you :heart:

3 Likes

Thank you Sarah for sharing your story. Iā€™m heartbroken and in tears but I can feel your strength throughout your share. You are a wonderful person Sarah and so was your husband. I know you will honour him by living a sober life and raising your beautiful kids, being there for them and keeping the wonderful memories of their dad alive. Big big hugs to you Sarah. Iā€™m proud of you.

3 Likes

Crying as I write this. This broke my heart for you, for him, for everyone who loved him. But there is also such a beauty behind this story. A preciousness in how you describe his love for your momma. Iā€™m so sorry you only got but a short time with the real side, the compassionate side, of your father. I hope you were able to really see him and feel loved by him in the end, as itā€™s obvious from your words, even though he held it in there was so much love there. Iā€™m so sorry for your loss, Iā€™m so thankful for the work youā€™re doing to heal. I know those years were painful and for that, Iā€™m so very sorry.

Daniel broke my heart, many times, as Iā€™m sure I did to him as well. I choose to honor him though, instead of pointing out his bad. I loved him for all the things he did right and decided not to dismiss him for the few things he didnā€™t. Our life, the life we lived, has taught me to offer grace and mercy to most all, to really see humanity and how deeply hurting most are. To realize there is beauty even at ground zero, as I rummage through the wreckage. Life is fleeting. Precious because it doesnā€™t last.

I often think about time and all the people who will someday lose someone, someone who is the world to them. Whether thatā€™s tomorrow, a month from now or a year or more from now. Iā€™ll think about how In this moment, they may not have any idea the devastating events coming to shake them to their core, not expecting the nightmare that awaits them. How they are currently spending their last bit of time they have with their person, thinking that they have forever. They are planning a trip, a wedding, a family. Maybe they are having an unnecessary argument. Maybe they are so busy with the normal tasks of life that they arenā€™t taking the time to be in the present moment, not enjoy the remaining months, days, hours, seconds that they donā€™t even realize they have left with their other half or really anyone they hold dear to them. I wish I could stop time for them. I wish I could prevent them from being the next shattered heart. I wish I could save them the misery and agony that I have went through with the loss of Daniel and I imagine you have with the loss of your parentsā€¦ They have no idea what this hell feels like yet and, I wish there was some way to intervene so that they never do. Through this all Iā€™ve learned time and Love are the most valuable things we have in this life. The only two things I wish I had more of and that I canā€™t get back are, time spent and all the love. I wish I would have taken more time to appreciate it all. To soak it all in. To let go of the petty things that didnā€™t really matter at all. I will not make that mistake again. Life is a gift, not something that is a given, so Iā€™m learning to enjoy every second while Iā€™m here. Because time gives us so much, then we blink our eyes, and it takes it all back.:heart:

4 Likes

Thank you for this, this touched my Soul.
Iā€™m so sorry for your loss :people_hugging:
The only ā€œwasteā€ in all of this is that weā€™re missing one more life on this globe that ended because of addiction. So sad and incredibly tragic :cry:

1 Like

My goodness, this really touched my heart. So so sorry for your loss. Your words struck a nerve with me on my own journey. The inner lier talks to me every single day, trying to push me back to addiction. Your post is one i will never forget.

1 Like

Thank you, Iā€™m always so humbled when someone takes the time to actually read my thoughts. I never wrote before Daniel passed but I guess tragedy has brought out depths in me, I wasnā€™t aware I had. I use it as a means of therapy kind of, surprisingly it helps.

It sounds like you are breaking generational strong holds, beautiful, Iā€™m trying to as well. We can create a future our children donā€™t have to heal fromā¤ļø

May our paths be straight and swift as we navigate this journey of recovery! And may we always offer mercy and grace during our time here, living this beautiful bittersweet thing, called lifeā¤ļø

1 Like