I passed my first test! šŸ„³

Guys, I am so excited!!!

This is day 1 of my sobriety journey. All afternoon Iā€™ve been on edge because Friday evening is a huge trigger for me. I knew my husband would ask if I want to buy alcohol, but I did not know if I would have the willpower to say no. He asked me twice while picking up our food.

The first time I ignored the question but the second time- I kid you not- I had to process the ā€œnoā€ in my head for about 30 seconds before the words finally came out of my mouth!! I said ā€œnoā€ and asked him to buy some Diet Coke instead :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: I STILL CANNOT BELIEVE I DECLINE ALCOHOL ON A FRIDAY EVENING!!! AM I DREAMING?? Hahaha :laughing:

I

23 Likes

Good job :clap: :+1:. I remember how hard it was to stay the course those early days. Everytime you win like that your sobriety will get a little stronger. Have you told your husband that you wish to quit drinking?

3 Likes

Nice. The journey beginsā€¦

Next time he asked if you want to buy alcohol roll up a newspaper and hit him on the nose with it lol

4 Likes

Thatā€™s great but it would be very appropriate for you to tell your husband about your desire to get sober.

2 Likes

Welcome to the best next days of your life!
Sobriety is freedom from the grips of alcohol. Keep working hard to free yourself and find your way to peace.

Keep up the good work. There are lots of us here cheering you on!

2 Likes

GOOD FOR YOU!

3 days in I got a new truck and wanted to ā€˜celebrateā€™ I asked my wife to pour me a whiskey, she said, ā€œI dont think I want to drinkā€ and that was that its been 355 days for us today! stay strong :muscle: we will be cheering for you 2!!!

2 Likes

Exciting. When you do your first birthday, Christmas etc thatā€™s quite a buzz. Holidays have been the hardest thing but Iā€™ve mastered that now. I know itā€™s naughty but I just let myself go on holiday and eat a lot of chocolate, crisps / chips and all that naughty pleasure food. It kept me off the booze!! Going to Scotland at the end of the month so Iā€™ll see how I cope this time! :joy::joy:

2 Likes

@Sonny I most definitely will do that next time!

1 Like

Thank you guys for all the support! Itā€™s a long story but I have been trying for the longest time to quit alcohol together but I donā€™t think he is willing to do it. It seems like he doesnā€™t think he has a problem with alcohol but I know we both do. But to be honest Iā€™m sick and tired of waiting for him to accept we both have a problem and get sober together. I have tell him so many time that I want to quit and I need his help, Iā€™ve told him to stop offering me or bringing me anything, but he always end up doing one or the other and itā€™s difficult for me to say no.

But like I said, enough is enough and itā€™s gonna be twice as hard but I guess Iā€™m doing this by myself. I told him this time is serious and if he wants to keep drinking be my guest but heā€™ll have to do it outside the house. I cannot force him to do it but I will do want to experience what a sober life feels like! Itā€™s been so long since Iā€™ve had that freedom :pensive:

5 Likes

@Brian1965uk that is actually a good idea! I might let myself indulge on favorite food around celebrations. I really donā€™t want to isolate myself, but Iā€™m afraid if I go to social events or stuff like that Iā€™ll relapsed. But I will definitely take your idea, thank you !

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure if this has been shared with you yet but a very smart fella @Dazercat started a great thread about similar issues.

2 Likes

Zero alcohol beer is a good one but that may trigger some people. I sometimes go for a drink with a punch- tonic with a shot of hot chilli sauce on the rocks feels like a treat drink. But whatever works for you. :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Congrats. Keep that moment as a badge of honor. Especially when next Friday rolls around. Remember your micro thoughts in the moments when you replied NO and use them again.

I had the same issues with my husband and drinking and quitting. Eventually I was so sick inside and full of pain I knew I had to focus on my need/want/desire to stop drinking and let him worry about his own drinking (or not). It was hard, and he didnā€™t get it at first, wasnā€™t particularly supportive (and I really didnā€™t fully understand what I needed as support either), but eventually I took 100% responsibility for my own sobriety and that helped a lot.

Some thread links I put together years ago that maybe you will find some gems or inspiration from ā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@Dan531 thank you! I havenā€™t seen that thread but I will definitely check it out. I really want this to work and I would love for him to support me but itā€™s obvious weā€™re in different opinions when it comes to alcohol

1 Like

@Brian1965uk im not much of a beer drinker but I agree with you! I actually went grocery shopping today and bought a few bottles of juice to make mocktails since I like the fruity drinks. I really hope this works thanks for the suggestion :blush:

2 Likes

I am on day 2 (6/13) and last night stopped at the store and my fiance asked if all we needed was cat food. Normally Iā€™d ask him to get a 12pk, but I said no but maybe see if they have the ice tea I like. Today has been a struggle.

1 Like

It is a struggle but you should feel absolutely proud of yourself! I know I did that day and the feeling was amazing!

Fast forward today though, 12 days sober but Iā€™m starting to struggle more than the first few days. I just keep telling to myself that I need to be strong and resist just today. That saying ā€œone day at a timeā€ itā€™s what keeps me going. Congratulations on your decision to stop being a slave to alcohol! Itā€™s not gonna be easy but itā€™s so worth it :heart:

2 Likes