I Really Don't Drink Anymore

On day 847. I trust myself. I only think of alcohol in the context of “I used to do that”. At 63 I have a lifetime of periods on and off booze. The longest off being almost 18 years. I have regrets, but I have non-alcohol regrets, too. I have had many accomplishments and happy things throughout my life. Too many to list. But none as a result of alcohol.

Just some things in my life that I won’t let alcohol ruin.

● I’m getting married next Saturday to my partner of 5 years
● My oldest son (29) is getting married in October
● My youngest son (26) got engaged last weekend
● I have worked at the same university for over 25 years. Full retirement is less than three years away.
● I have four pets that I LOVE! that need me
● My health is great. I exercise 5 times a week. I don’t look or feel 63 (I think! Lol)
● My happiness. Alcohol will not ruin it ever again.

I’ve tried so many programs, rehab once, therapy, Moderation Management, white knuckling it…who would have thought an app would be the thing that worked? Actually…it is the people and their support. The stories of success and failure. The ability to have at my disposal a 24/7 connection to people who "get it:. I saved my life with the help of TS.

66 Likes

You areca wonderful inspiration!

6 Likes

Thanks, Scott. I feel like i don’t share very much. But I am on here every day…liking posts, reading, posting memes and pictures of my pets…going on three years on the forum. I :heart: TS.

8 Likes

Congrats on the upcoming wedding!! @Mbwoman sounds like great things are happening for you. Im greatful to share this sobriety journey with you :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Congratulations. It’s great to read parts of your journey especially after 18 years sobriety before getting back :upside_down_face::tada:

Amd that’s amazing all the upcoming marriages. :four_leaf_clover::sunflower:

6 Likes

Love your post and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!! :heart: So very happy for you!! As a fellow woman in her 60s, I know what you mean about drinking and non drinking regrets. Such is life. :people_hugging: You have so much to be proud of!! I am so glad we are on this journey together. :raised_hands:

9 Likes

You’re here with all of us. Very thankful to you for that. And so happy for all the good stuff in your life! Huge congratulations on your marriage! :+1:t3::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_tear::kissing_heart::heart::people_hugging:

6 Likes

Congratulations! On all of that! What a beautiful, inspiring post. Thanks for being here with us! It really is an amazing community.

5 Likes

Thabk you so much for this. Needed to hear this and alsp gives me hope hearing how this app has helped people!!! I am not just new hear but to online in general (i dont have socials and have never used an online group :slight_smile: I feel SUPER WEIRD, but i am willing to do anything to be a non-drinker/sober.

Thank you for your experience, strength & hope!

8 Likes

Congratulations on all you have achieved in sobriety!! Very inspiring! :clap:t2::blush:

4 Likes

I :heart: you so much, sober sister. The Promises certainly do come to fruition in recovery. I’m so happy for you and us!

17 Likes

So good to hear, this sounds amazing what you are up to :tada:. And this all wouldn’t have happened or would be totally different if you hadn’t said “No” to the devil in the bottle, but instead you kick ass and lead a life worth living :muscle:t3:. All the best wishes for the upcoming marriages :confetti_ball:. And thanks for sharing your lovely story with us :bouquet:!

8 Likes

Congrats.
The ability to appreciated the good in your life is a talent,

7 Likes

Congrats and thank you for sharing your journey with us!

3 Likes

Happiness is wanting what you already have. My buddy in AA said that. Mind blown.

7 Likes

Oh wow!
A wedding, a changed perspective, and a wonderful new chapter starting soon of life in retirement.
You have so much to be proud of, and so much to look forward to. The new life you have crafted will surely keep you young in mind, body and spirit.
Go well!
:call_me_hand:

5 Likes

Congratulations on all the upcoming things! I’m so happy and honored to be on this journey with you friend :heart:

5 Likes

I never knew you had 18 years before, what a long stretch.
I always like to read you here, so thank you for being around lady.
I hope you will have a beautiful wedding day! :heavy_heart_exclamation:

4 Likes

Beautiful! Congratulations. 18!!! Years. That’s lmost half my life. This is amazing. I love your share

4 Likes

@Leehawk…you are MY inspiration, sober sister. You have faced such a challenge while getting sober. It is people like you who have the strength to keep going that make people like me keep going!!

3 Likes