I relapsed again and this time I don't know how to stop

It’s been a minute since I checked in! Today is day 42! I’ve been doing a lot of counselling and a lot of meetings and I am hoping to get into a residential place next month (waiting lists are quite long)

It’s also my birthday today and probably the first birthday I’ve ever been sober for! I’m lucky that my family are very supportive and they have even stopped drinking in the house or bringing any alcohol home into the house too and keep their drinking to when they go out to the pub.

I know It will be a long time before I can ever if ever sit in a pub and not want to drink but for now that’s the least of my worries.

I hope everyone is doing good and getting through each day :heart:

7 Likes

Happy belated birthday. How are you doing?

A long time ago i developed this weird mentality. I started looking at my mental illness and addictions as a virus. A virus cannot be cured. Viruses dont have a medication to remove them. Your body has to gain its strength and fight it off on its own. While you cant treat a virus… you can treat the symptoms to make it easier on yourself. When i start to feel anxious or depressed, i treat the symptoms. I focus on compartmentalized coping skills ive developed through therapy or research, i rely on the people who love me for support as well as this community, and i ask for help when i feel im to weak to fight it off.
Just like with a virus… youre gonna feel weak. Youre gonna feel like absolute shit for a little while. It may even get worse before it gets better. Just like a cold. But think to that moment after a cold when you realize youre better and you feel SO relieved to get back to your life. When you get past your addiction and youre truly recovering… sobriety will feel the same way. Dont stop fighting. Practice makes permanent. You got this :heart:

3 Likes