I’ve lost my smile

Hi everyone. I just wanted to reach out to someone as I’m really struggling with cravings. I’m only 21.5 days sober and I’ve just come out of a rehab centre today. I feel like I haven’t smiled since my last drink and all I want to do is sleep the day away. I am absolutely miserable, lethargic and have no interest in anything anymore. I have 2 teenage kids at home who need me and a dog that needs to be walked but I am so flat that it takes enormous effort.
Has anyone had this same experience? When will I feel like myself again and start enjoying the things I used to love. I’m completely deflated :cry:

16 Likes

Any possibility once you get home and start being active in your home life that you will start feeling better? I am sorry you are feeling so flat and I hope it will be short lasting. 21 days is great, congrats!

I think the initial coming home is very overwhelming with triggers everywhere. It will get better but it’s not going to be easy, especially since all I’ve thought about all day is beer. I hate the way I feel right now.

3 Likes

First, congratulations on 21 days! Wonderful achievement! But early enough in sobriety for disturbed mood to be a possibility. You took how long to get to this point? It will take time to get away from it too. Just keep going, it will get better.

3 Likes

Firstly, huge congratulations on your sober days so far!! You have already put in some excellent work and although you don’t feel it currently, you should be proud.

Sadly recovery is painful, you will feel like this sometimes, especially in the early days. I have a fair amount of sober time now and I still have these feeling from time to time. This time of year in particular. One thing you can do to help is to spend time with people like yourself, people that get where you are coming from. And this forum is full of people just like you that can offer you support and pick you up when you stumble.

All the best to you, I hope you find some relief from the feelings you are experiencing currently. You aren’t alone :pray:t2:

4 Likes

I read back on some of your posts … I see that earlier in the year you had a partner at home who drank a lot. That is bound to be a trigger if it is still happening. You know there is lots of help and support here so I am glad you have posted and updated what’s going on with you. Keep posting and feel your strengths and not your weaknesses. It may be hard for you to make the adjustment… you can do it, one second at a time. Just take the moments one at a time to keep it from feeling so overwheIming. Ask for help where you need to. I am thinking about you and hoping it will get easier and that you will stay sober.

2 Likes

I totally get it. Just try and power through your day and maybe drink lots of water, caffeine, eat candy?
Probably sounds dumb but it’s helping me, but I’m only 35 days sober so I guess I’m not in a position to give advice.

3 Likes

Thank you. And you are right, I popped in to see my partner (mostly his dog) this afternoon and he was half way through a bottle of vodka. I don’t know how to deal with it. He gets really drunk and I can’t understand what he’s saying, then he forgets our conversations. I have been thinking that’s what I must have been like too, so that is giving me a bit of strength to steer clear of the bottlo. Currently in bed reading a book. Funny, once I’m in bed, the cravings stop.

6 Likes

35 days is fantastic, well done. I’m drinking heaps of water but the cravings were thick and fast today. Maybe they will settle once I’ve been home for a bit? I hit it pretty hard the last few months so my serotonin is probably really low. Just have to bring the level up naturally. If only I had energy :cry:

4 Likes

Thank you.
Yes, since I fell of the wagon back in Easter after 7 months sober, I have been hitting it pretty badly. There’s other things going on in my life that have made my life very difficult. Do I would assume it might take longer for my mood to stabilise again. Day by day, but goodness today was hard!

3 Likes

Hi there! “Re-entry” after rehab is very difficult. I hope that while you were there they gave you lots of tools to use to maintain your sobriety. Are you working any sort of program or going to sobriety based meetings either online or in person? Sober community is my main tool of support. I’ve made so many wonderful sober people locally and across the globe. Also, my bed is my safe space too! Nothing wrong with getting in bed for reading or TV time when needed. So glad you checked back in. We are all rooting for you!

4 Likes

Yes be sure and take your time outs when you need to. It seems like getting into a book or getting into bed with a book would be a good way to take time out. I’m sending you strength to get stronger each second. And get your sober legs good and steady under you! I’m glad you posted! Sooner or later I hope to see a little bit of that smile come back.

3 Likes

In the US, most rehabs include an after care plan, like outpatient programs or day programs, or AA/NA involvement.

What are you doing to grow your sobriety? In my experience, I can surf over cravings for just so long before I crash under, but when I am active in my recovery (counseling, AA, and intensive outpatient my first year in), the cravings just stop coming.

4 Likes

This is problematic and although you may not be in a position to address this straight away, I think it would be best to come to some sort of resolution sooner rather than later. A partner who gets drunk like that on the regular will at best make your recovery more difficult, at worst, impossible. I know that there are people here that have partners that drink heavily, and hats off to them for sticking to their plan, but I couldn’t be around a drunk all the time. I’d either end up miserable or drunk myself. When you are ready I would suggest having a really good talk with them.

3 Likes

Maybe continue your journey with meetings they will help , i dont really know about rehab as when i got sober it wasnt a word , and delegate two teenagers im sure they can be helpfull in your recovery . walking your dog can be a good way to relax and get fit , wish you well

2 Likes

Hey there. Congrats on your sober time…21 days is a huge accomplishment. So glad you are here today! I was chiming in just to say that the first two months for me were all about doing whatever I needed to stay sober and feeling okay. I did a LOT of napping, walking my pups in the woods when I had energy. Eating healthy but comforting food, usually taking 2-3 bubble or epsom salt baths a day, watching feel good movies, doing positive affirmations etc. my body and brain chemistry were trying to right themselves after being thrown WAY off course for a long time, so I treated myself almost like we do when we’re sick.I also removed myself as far away as I could from every trigger which was helpful. It DOES pass. But, it took us a while to get where we are, and it takes a while to get back.

2 Likes

Lethargy was my unwanted companion for three years, dealing with grief, addiction, sobriety… Ultimately, getting sober has returned my energy and joy for life, it took a lot of work, discipline and also patience and learning to let myself rest and enjoy it, without beating myself up over lost time.

Start small. Sit outside on your step, light a candle, or walk up one Street and back. Change your bed, enjoy the nice sheets. If you care for yourself the rest will follow when it’s able to.

2 Likes

I attended drug and alcohol group sessions while in the clinic which gave me a good understanding of how addiction works, and the brains role in it, which I found really useful. I’ve been referred to a recovery course, but that’s not until next year. Today wasn’t as hard as yesterday as I spent the day with my daughter doing Xmas things so that distracted me a lot. Back in bed now, happy I’ve got another day under my belt!
Thank you

1 Like

Thank you so much :relaxed:

Thank you for responding.
I have been referred to a recovery group but it won’t start until next year. Until then I will use the tools I learnt in the clinic, and try to remember the big picture. Considering AA, I’ve been a few times and not sure how I feel about it. Might give it another try. Thank you :blush: