I want to get sober

I’m having trouble with getting sober from alcohol . Every night for the past like 18months I tell myself I’m not drinking tomorrow night then tomorrow night comes and I drink. I don’t enjoy it it just helps me sleep it also blocks my brain from over thinking so much that it’s now a habit a addiction and part of my nightly routine. I’ve tried so many ways to stop that now I’m at a point where I need support from people who have been in my situation as no one in my life knows I’ve gotten this bad as they would judge and don’t understand the struggle of addiction. Please help motivate me to say no to alcohol

9 Likes

Welcome! This is a great first step. Between this wonderful place and AA, I have maintained my sobriety. Stick around! Be active and participate.

3 Likes

I’m not comfortable with going to AA that’s to embarrassing for me.

2 Likes

That is your choice to do. For me, it was either go…or start drinking again. I was at a point where I didnt want to drink. I chose embarrassment. 1171 days later, I am proud that I am an AAer

6 Likes

Sure beats staying a drunkard though.

Helped me too, didn’t want to do it, those people were way worse than me. Sober over 1200 days now.

Just saying, be prepared to try any and everything to get and stay sober, it’s a very hard task to do by yourself. You could check our IOP groups at a behavioral health center, smart or other groups, 1 on 1 counseling/therapy.

Life’s better sober

2 Likes

Hi Jess I’ve literally just joined up here. I’m Scott from Scotland, I have the very same feelings, every morning when I wake up I say ok that’s it but as soon as it gets to 5pm my mind wanders to beer/wine and it just keeps going and going… Today I’m determined not to have a drink tonight (9.19am here) but this is the easy time.

Personally I think this group can help me and you alike.

First part of the road to success is recognising there’s a problem

The past 18months hasn’t been easy so don’t be too hard on yourself

8 Likes

Welcome, you have taken the most important step " We admitted we were powerless over alcohol and that our lives had become unmanageable.”
No need to be embarrassed at AA, you are in good company with fellow alcoholics. When I first went I decided that awkward feeling there was no where near as bad as the days of hiding or guilt after my drinking. Stick around here daily as well, everyone here is a friend

3 Likes

I remember how often I told myself, tomorrow or tonight I won’t drink. Still, after work I was finding myself heading to the next supermarket and buying wine. Every single day. For 1.5 years or so. Before that time I was still able to bargain with me, so only every other day, small bottles of wine. I was unable to not go to the supermarket and buy this f*** poison. I was lucky I had 90 days, on a pink cloud, nothing could stop me as being a non-drinker was so easy. Then I moved to another city, new job, no friends, picked up again, struggled 6 months or so and then one night found myself kneeling on the floor and asking someone to just survive Sunday, one day without drinking.
I have not much of advice but to go to a meeting, listening to people who are sober, read here. Surround yourself with sober people or non-drinker. We all have been there and so many here show that it is possible.
My obsessive over thinking, non-sleeping cycle became step by step better without booze.

2 Likes

All my family and friends aren’t big drinkers so I don’t surround myself with drinkers. I drink alone . It’s all me .I’m the only drinker and cigarette smokers. No one pressures me etc… it’s all me. I do this all to myself that I can’t even mentally or emotionally stop I hate myself daily that I keep giving in to the devil. I have read books and YouTube videos etc that say alcohol is the devil don’t give in and yet I still do. I wish I had a partner who could tell me no Jessica you don’t need to drink etc etc. I need to be told.

3 Likes

I was almost always drinking alone. I live alone. And hid most of my heavy drinking and my misery. You are here. That is a first step. Hitting an online meeting might help, its anonymous as can be. No need to talk, to show your face. Baby steps. Commit yourself to start. Today is a good day. One minute at a time when one day is too long.

4 Likes

When I felt the most down in my relationship I wanted to stop drinking. It was half-hearted. He supported me as long as I didn’t say, well fuck it, why not. Okay, one glass. A partner is not always the cure to everything, in fact, I guess never. You can do it. I couldn’t sleep through due to my drinking and over thinking. So I added sleeping pills to the equation. When I quit everything altogether, I started to sleep better.

And maybe you want to join the gratitude dudes here
Daily Gratitude List #2

2 Likes

" You all probably havent experienced someone like me before I’m alot to deal with…sorry in advance "

I had to chuckle at this, not at you but at the comment. I will put every cent and possession I have on the fact that we have…ourselves.
This is why you should get to a meeting, you will hear stories in the rooms that will help you see that you are most definitely not a lot to deal with to other addicts.

5 Likes

How old are you scott

Welcome Jess, this is a great place to start. Believe you can and you’re halfway there.

2 Likes

There’s no magic pill you can take to stop drinking. It will require work and dedication on your part. So what are you willing to do to get sober?

4 Likes

The sleep u get after drinking is very inferior to natural sleep, why not watch some videos to learn about it after the kids are asleep? U can also join online aa meetings, keep camera off, just initials as a name. I didn’t want to believe I was bad enough for aa, and my first few meetings I didn’t understand how listening to others would help ME. But now listening helps remind me of the bad things in the past and why I quit, and remind me of the good things now and why I keep trying.

2 Likes

Hey Jess, I’ve just read through this trail and I can relate so hard, my solo drinking is the problem and I’m not ready to talk about it face to face to a group of people when I’ve only just told my best friend. If you want a small chat group I’ve set up a group on the app “Quit Drinking”, I use this App for my journal and that one for the chat room, they compliment each other well. It also has a running tab of how much money you’re saving daily!

3 Likes

Hi Jess I’m new on here too and like you don’t want to go to meetings, I just don’t think AA is for me. I’ve also used drink to help me sleep and often relapsed from sober periods because I couldn’t sleep when sober and missed it. Then I eventually got to 3 months sober and noticed ‘hey I’ve been sleeping better’. Unfortunately I’m on here because I’ve relapsed again. I feel much better when I don’t drink, on day 3 now and feeling determined. Let’s do this together. :green_heart::yellow_heart::blue_heart:

3 Likes

44 Jess

You?

Hi there and welcome! Sounds like your drinking happens at a very specific time of the day. I would get on some zoom meetings online with your camera off since you are apprehensive about in person meetings. Replace the alcohol with everything sobriety related like quit lit, sober podcasts, sobriety zoom meetings, then go to bed. You can do this.

2 Likes