I went to a concert… and drank

I went to a gig at the weekend and drank. It escalated quickly and I drank for a couple of days. Day after was drinking to feel right again and then continued. I had got to 14 days then drank. Feel really disappointed in myself. I exercise quite a bit but when I’ve been drinking and am then tired and recovering I don’t exercise or do the things that I need to keep my mental health right. So annoyed with myself…. But we move

3 Likes

What I have found that has worked for me in my recovery is listening to the suggestions of others. I noticed in the past you posted about social situations in early recovery and more than one person shared about how they avoided situations (concerts for example) in which they may be tempted to drink.

It’s a little to late un-ring your relapse bell, but you’ve been given good advice already. It’s up to you to follow it.

13 Likes

It’s ok to stumble. Making a mistake doesn’t prevent you from getting to where you want to be. I’m at 16 days and have a rough patch. I felt really, really good in the first 2 weeks but I’ve allowed doubt to creep in.

Use the negative feelings you are experiencing as fuel to continue your journey more motivated than ever.

1 Like

Yeah in hindsight I made the wrong choice. I thought I could do the things I did previously but without alcohol. I’m still figuring out

3 Likes

One thing you’re going to learn about me is I don’t co-sign bullshit. 17 days ago you posted about how you’d be triggered by going to events. I doubt in 17 days that went away and you’d thought you’d be okay.

When I “thought I’d be ready” for a boat trip on a lake I knew damn well I was going to drink, and drink I did. Which is what alcoholics do. It wasn’t until my desire to stay sober was greater than my desire to drink that I was finally able to stay sober.

16 Likes

It seems to work that way. The only complete loss is one from which we learn nothing.

Maybe lay low until you’ve got a firm handle on things. Me? I did nothing outside of working, walking, and home life for the first 90 days of sobriety. Read a lot, listened to hours of podcasts, watched a bunch of documentaries. No holiday parties (Christmas and New Year). Just grinding out the days.

6 Likes

Thanks, that’s good advice. I’ve been naive really.

1 Like

You’re not naive, you just want to drink. And that’s fine. That’s what we do, we drink. You were already given the advice to stay low. The real question is how willing are you to follow as advice?

Are you willing to give up the rest of summer to get sober? How about the rest of the year?

Personally I gave up the better part of a year to make damn sure I’d be okay in social situations. These days I can hang out in any setting. Bars, concerts, parties, etc. I still need to check my motives for attending but in general those situations don’t bother me. But that transformation didn’t occur in a few weeks. It took time and a lot of energy to get to that point.

So how willing are you?

16 Likes

I am going to a concert on Saturday… I feel like this will be me!
14 days is still good! I can imagine more sober days than you would have normally had.
Onwards and upwards xx

2 Likes

On another note who did you see perform?

I know I should lay low as advice here says and not go but the tickets and hotel were so expensive and I would hate to see the money wasted. I can certainly lay low for a while after this weekend… nothing planned in. In the meantime I need to try to be super strong this weekend. Lots of people seemed to manage it in the states over July 4th weekend. They will be my inspiration.

No matter how many times you fall, it is important how many times you get up… So get up and carry on sober life :muscle::crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

I went to see LCD Soundsystem, they’re one of my favourite bands

1 Like

I didn’t do shit that involved alcohol for the first year, maybe year and a half. There was a couple of weddings i had to go to but that was it. I did what it took, protected my sobriety. I wasn’t willing to accept that i made it farther than before being good enough. The truth is I’m 983 days sober today and it could all be gone tomorrow with one stupid choice. Staying sober is relatively easy now but I put work in everyday, put sobriety first. Good luck to you.

10 Likes

You know what’s more expensive than hotels and tickets? Sliding back into old ways.

Plus those are just excuses. I book a loooot of hotels. Almost always there’s a 24 hour cancellation policy. Might be a small fee involved. And tickets can easily be resold. Sometimes above face value.

So same question. How willing are you?

6 Likes

Awesome band!

Honestly don’t beat yourself up. It won’t help you and it won’t change what’s happened either.

James Murphy is not the guy to help you get sober, that kind of party gig is always going to put you on a bender if you are inclined to do that, it’s sadly best to avoid them til you are ready! Just learn from that night out and how you feel now and move forward in the direction you want to!

2 Likes

I hope this isn’t a case of “I’ll get sober after this weekend”

We never know when that bender becomes an ender…

10 Likes

don’t go then, what’s more important to you right now Music or your sobriety?

2 Likes

All the feelings you have are valid and it’s true what others have also said. If the support is there but chose otherwise than not much can be done from the supporters end. We have to find the will power and the true conviction to want sobriety above all else. I too had a concert I had plan to go in which my cousins was playing. I didn’t attend the event because I knew I was very early on and I would most likely have given in and lost it all that day. Summer I’m sure is hard to be in early sobriety but it’s doable. Many others have done it but as @Englishd said how bad do you want this??? I hope this gives you strength to really commit and push through.

1 Like

I went about 12 days and relapsed also. Today I’m picking up the pieces of my stupid decision. Can’t quit though; my family is depending on me. Let’s do it together brother.

3 Likes

Yeah I think what @Englishd has said is right. I do really want this, I’m just going to cancel all my summer plans. Working on me is going to my ‘event.’ To be honest it takes a Lot of stress off. I’m about to start a cycle of training anyway which will keep me busy

8 Likes