I went to a concert… and drank

I missed a few great shows, lost a year and now near 2 playing no shows.

It sucks, but slow and steady wins the race

3 Likes

I went to the concert tonight… and thanks to the tough and helpful talking to me on this chat, I didn’t drink! I had an amazing time… I put my sobriety top. I didn’t want to not go as my husband had bought the tickets and hotel as a gift and I didn’t want to be rude. So I just ate nice food, drank soft drinks and danced lots to stereophonics and Pearl jam at Hyde park in London. I’m so proud of myself right now.

8 Likes

Im glad you were able to have a good sober time! Yay you!

Thanks! It was hard… but I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink and I think that’s just what it all comes down to. So pleased I’ve proven to myself I can have fun when I’m not drunk.

5 Likes

Yes! This is great!
I’m back from a 7 (yes seven) days music festival, and drank only diet coke, perrier and water. Surrounded by drunk people, including my friends, I had a blast anyway.

2 Likes

Wow! That is so impressive. Even though I found it difficult, it was so much fun dancing and I’ve woke up this morning and feel great and can remember everything.

2 Likes

Yes! It’s impressive how much concerts I forgot, pretending having so much fun while I was just wasted, high and acting silly.
Good thing is, it’s getting easier with time. And my friends considering me as a super hero is good for my ego :joy:

I think @Englishd has had that same affect on just about everyone here, but the thing is you’re still here and I wouldn’t be surprised if perhaps some of what he said burrowed into your brain for a later date. He’s a good dose of reality and a good kick in the pants. Usually the ones who get most upset by his honesty are the ones who really aren’t ready to quit yet.

Derek is by far my favourite poster and a huge reason why I’m still sober after 3.5 years.

9 Likes

I’m gonna second this. @Englishd hasn’t directly said anything to me personally but I’ve got a couple of things stowed away in my brain from replies and posts he’s made. Sometimes that blunt honest truth is what’s needed to wake up, even if at that moment it might not feel right, there will come a moment when it pops into your head and clicks.

2 Likes

I’m just gonna have to agree to disagree with you on this front. It’s not a style of communication I find useful and that’s fine. We are all different.

I’m just about six days sober since I drank at the concert. I feel positive and determined but have had to manage cravings on a couple of occasions this week some of which were quite intense. I was in the city centre as I had to buy a suit and the weather was ace, lots of people having beers in the sun. Did what I needed to do and got the fuck outta there. Quite pleased with that

3 Likes

I think I would’ve had a drink this weekend, if @Englishd hadn’t have called me out on making excuses. I really appreciate it. Feel lucky I’ve found this community to work things through that are usually just floating around in my head, where they’ll find the answer it wants to hear

5 Likes

Thanks for this, this is definitely true. I need to build those different pathways in my brain

2 Likes

Nice day
Hot day
Bad day
Sad day
Friday
Celebrate day
commiserate day
All these and more meant alcohol….I’ve got a feeling we’ll be making new connections for a long while

3 Likes

Day ends in “y” was my go to.

2 Likes