Im feeling hopeless

I want this so bad, but I wake up everyday and Im hungover. Im so tired of this cycle. I drank last night like always, and It can never be a little bit. I drank 3 pints of vodka and Im not sure how much beer I had as well. Im so tired of being this way. I hate hating myself. But I continue drink every single day. I dont know what to do I just wish I could stop.

8 Likes

Hi,

Getting better is an active process. Hoping to get better can only take you so far.

What have you tried to do to get sober? Change needs to happen in order to alter your course. Do you have a support network? One of the first steps I took was telling the important people in my life that I am no longer drinking, why I am no longer drinking, and that I was dead serious about it. I also began a strict fitness and nutrition regimen that I follow to this day, that has been the biggest help to me and some others.

I can suggest finding hobbies that do not involve drinking (even better, activities which drinking make impossible to do), establishing a support network of people you trust, perhaps trying AA meetings (I did not take this path, but it has helped countless people). Keep checking in here. The forum has been huge for me, too. Seek out people and things that help you get where you want to be. Cut off people and things which detract from your goal.

Just throwing some ideas out there, things which have helped me. All the best to you! I have been where you are. You CAN get through it. :slight_smile:

Edit: wanted to add, try to not be too hard on yourself. Hating yourself accomplishes nothing, but I know those feelings after a night of boozing all too well. Use this as a chance to reassess and regroup. Make a plan. You never, EVER have to feel this away again, if you choose.

3 Likes

Hey! I was the same way. You have to want to stop. You know that every time you drink you will wake up feeling this way. It’s a vicious cycle. Take it one minute at a time. Set a game plan for your day that doesnt include drinking and stick to it. You can keep checking back here for support through your day. You can do this. 26 days ago I was in your shoes. 26 days seems like a lifetime to get to, but it actually flies by when you change your habits.

6 Likes

It took me almost a year of being where you are before I actually decided I was quitting. I knew I needed to but I just never decided to change it. I just beat myself up every day instead. When I did finally decide to quit after my birthday, I had a lapse a week in with less than half what I normally drank and I’ve never been so sick! I walked away for good at that point and did whatever it took to stay sober. 11 months later, I’m beyond thankful I found my power in saying no and stuck with it! Life is MUCH better on this side of the fence. :heart:

5 Likes

Hi Andrea,
I’m sorry to hear that you drank again but the great thing is u want to STOP. Have you thought about going to a in patience facility for about 90 days? What was the longer you been Sober? Also Therapy helps, talking to someone for Me helps A lot.

1 Like

I remember you from being on here awhile ago. You can definitely quit, it’s not easy, but it is. Takes a lot of hard work, but you’ll be able to do it.
What have you tried? Working any programs, seen a therapist?

1 Like

I haven’t been to any AA meetings or seen a therapist. Ive kinda just been hoping Id be able to quit on my own because Im so busy with work all the time. But now that I think about it, if Im able to get shit faced every night then I do Have some time to go to AA meetings. Things are so bad in my life and its mainly all because of drinking. The longest I have ever went without drinking is around 20 days. But in the past year I havent had 3 days or more without drinking. Its everyday now Im sick from the alcohol, and Im sick without it. Its all I think about even tho I hate it… I want to be sober.

10 Likes

You have recognized that you have a problem and need to stop so that’s good, that’s the 1st step. You CAN do it, just take it a day at a time, or as @AliciaMarie04 said one minute at a time. The support in the group is amazing, so dont be afraid to ask for advice. I myself was drinking into oblivion every night but when I admitted I had a problem and wanted to change I started small. Added a few apps to my phone to help visually keep myself in check and do a daily check in as well. I stay busy with work so that helps to keep my mind off it but when I do find myself craving a drink I’ll pick up one of my hobbies, or find something to keep myself busy. Its definitely hard and takes consistent effort but it’s worth it. Dont beat yourself up over it or let it get you down. The best part is there is always a new day to start fresh.

3 Likes

I’d definitely try some sort of program. Every body has the one that works for them. If I was you I’d look into AA or smart. Check out intherooms.org

You kind of hit the nail on the head there. You managed to find the time to get shitfaced so that time to get sober is there too.

Life was getting in the way of my drinking too. I drank before, during and after work. It was basically all I thought about too before I got sober. Every morning I said I was gonna quit then after work I got more booze after work and continued the cycle til I was drinking all day.

You managed to get 20 days before so you can do it.

4 Likes

Hey Andrea that last post you just made, I could of written that myself. That was me. I feel we can sincerely WANT to quit and keep on f’n drinking.The first 3 days we work on getting it out of our system. The 4th or 5th day we are restless and bored and back on the drinking bus. I can not tell you enough how much I glamorized drinking for so very long. Just to see a beer truck go by or see ppl on TV pouring a drink from their shiny crystal bar was enough to send me to popping a cap off on the bud light. However…I got tired of being scared. Of waking up hating my life! And once u get thru the first few days u just keep on going baby! Just by being here u are reaching out for help. But AA can be helpful. Just one person who understands. Pray. Read. I have been there

4 Likes

Yup. Sounds like you do have time to invest in AA.
I couldn’t stop drinking… Well… I could STOP… Just couldn’t stay stopped.
I work full time, 2 kids, live 40 minutes roughly from any AA meeting. I usually get to 8 a week. Coming up on 7 months sober.
You can do this.

4 Likes

I’ve experienced this same feeling before for longer than I’d like to admit. Finally I had to do the one thing I had avoided which was go to AA, find a sponsor and work the 12 steps. I can truly say I have been free from the obsession for alcohol.

9 Likes

Im almost on day 3 guys!:blush: My day off is monday and Im going to get my butt down to an AA meeting. Theres alot of things I think would be good for me to talk about! I think church is something I should start going back to as well, so Im going to work that into my schedual to.

16 Likes

Andrea you can do it! You look so young. My daughter is 21. Clean off of herion for 9 months. I never thought it would happen. She was on some kind of drug for 7 yr. It was a vicious cycle. She ended up going to a free 30 day in patient rehab. They treated for alcohol there as well. When she got home she was still wanting to use again. She found a sponser. She would call her allot. Go to mtgs. Sometimes just work thru misery. It is one day at a time. We can be our own worst enemy. Good luck to you.

2 Likes

Go girl go look at you making moves in the right direction. Keep on this path and you’ll become more and more empowered. Proud of the progress you’ve made so far. Congrats on Day 3 :hugs: like everyone has said we’ve all been there and it’s totally okay to fall down but you gotta get back up! You can do this!

2 Likes

Hi Andrea. I’m day 68 which has never happened ever before. This forum, AA and being on Antabuse has helped me. Being on Antabuse has helped so much, means if I wanted to drink I would have to plan it over a week and not take my tablets for a week. My cravings and thoughts come and go and I’ve not missed a tablet yet. Have you got doctors and professional help?

6 Likes

What is antabuse? I saw this episode on Reba where she took a pill and if you drink you get sick. I was kinda wanting to get some of those if they are real lol! That way I could just wake up and take one and even if I want to drink I cant! I am almost to day 4 and I am proud of myself, I just want to keep it this way. Im am looking forward to Mon to go to AA to get advice from people like me. I am 23 years old and been suffering from alcoholism for many years now. Its been alot worse this last year tho because my mom passed last Feb. Its not only me but my 2 sisters are bad to. We have all helped bring eachother down by drinking together. It was a traumatic experience when my mom passed and alot of pain I need to get out, and I am going to try and speak about it at AA.

2 Likes

This was exactly me. If not AA, there is SMART, and a whole bunch of other programs. Until I started changing things nothing changed. This is a great first step. Lot if good info on here!

1 Like

Hi - I am new to this site wasn’t sure how far I wanted to go with this until I read this “I’m feeling hopeless “ post- I get it! I send you lots of encouragement- and what has just worked for me ( so far) is The Sober School. - I haven’t done the online class but somehow it was the o e thing that struck a chord with me- I hope it might do the same for you - just read the blogs.
All the best.

1 Like

Welcome! What is The Sober school?

1 Like