In need of therapy but no insurance. Any advice?

Ever since I got sober I actually found that alcohol wasn’t the hardest part. It is having to figure out and confront what I have been running from all these years. I’m not really sure but I know I was depressed before I ever picked up a bottle or any mind altering substance and now I’m left with that same depression and am struggling to deal with it. I hear a lot of you say therapy or counseling and I really think that is what I need but with no insurance and a serious lack of funds due to my alcoholism and blowing my money on Every thing for the past ten years, what do I do? Is there any way to get one on one help from a mental health professional without insurance? If any of you have any resources or tips I would greatly appreciate it.

You most likely qualify for Medicaid. Call a navigator and get set up. What state do you live in?

We went to the nearby “Mega” church They have a counseling building that provides professional therapy at a fraction of the cost.
Our guy has been a therapist for 30 years and he is Amazing!

so Check out some churches around you. I know that at ours there is no requirements. Meaning that you don’t have to be Christian

It cost us about $50 a session.

South Carolina for now but soon to be Virginia.

You might want to start by contacting your local Department of social services.

1 Like

I never really thought about churches, the ones near me aren’t too open minded (I’m gay and I think a lot of my depression stems from things I have gone through dealing with that in itself) also I’m in the deep south so yeah. But I haven’t really looked down that route lately. Maybe things have changed. There is no harm in trying. Thanks for the advice

1 Like

Social services, I will look into that now. Sorry if this is common knowledge, just never thought to look into therapy until I got sober since alcohol used to be my “therapy”

1 Like

Check these out. Maybe Pride Counseling?

2 Likes

I don’t know how much of this you do already but things like meditation, yoga, exercise (for me, walking is very therapeutic) can help. Also activities like gardening, arts, crafts.

There is a mental health app called The Mighty which I don’t use much, but their emails are good.

In the UK there are lots of mental health charities with helplines etc which can signpost you to people who can help, if they can’t. Not sure how similar it will be where you are!

I have found this forum and recovery resources in general quite helpful for my mental health. Lots of the principles that apply to recovery cross over with general emotional health.

Some links here which might be useful, if you haven’t seen them already :blush:

2 Likes