Inappropriate Ads

Given the nature of people’s addictions in here, maybe be careful what kind of ads pop up?

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve never gotten an ad here, but I only use the mobile version

2 Likes

Same buttnugget

1 Like

When you toggle back and forth between the counter and the forum, you see ads. However, the ads I see are addiction/recovery related, so I have no idea what inappropriate ads the OP is referring to.

8 Likes

When i first got here, there were beer ads. Corona, is the one brand I remember.

@Robin, you might want to check into this. I’m getting all kinds of ads that have nothing to do with recovery (like I used to) when I toggle between the counter and the forum. Appears to be google driven, like it’s linking search history to the ads… Got one for furniture, and shoes. Others are reporting ads for alcohol.

1 Like

All the ads I ever see are to become a drug counselor. What does that say about me???

5 Likes

You got that right, whenever I enter the app I see an add that can affect the addicts like me…

It says that your google searches at one time involved drug and alcohol counseling. Shoes and furniture are in mine.

1 Like

That you should be a drug and alcohol counselor. Google is omnipotent!

2 Likes

Bwa haha haha. No one would want that. Half the time I question being my decision to be in education!

3 Likes

People like us make the best kind of counselors

My default setting is at best tough love and at worst telling people to pull their heads out of their asses. I’d be the worst counselor in the world! :joy:

1 Like

Same, me too

1 Like

My app updated 2 nights ago and the ads are everywhere now! But I too only get the addiction related ones. Become a councillor or go to rehab. Haha, I’m definately past needing rehab. Not gonna lie though, I sometimes look at the councillor ones and think “maybe, just maybe.”

3 Likes

I don’t know. To much fluffy counseling going on. Something to he said for old school straight talk, speaking the truth in love. You’d likely be a great counselor to those who respond best to a verbal foot in their ass.

3 Likes

My favorite counselor was a gay dude who was straight up hard core with me. When I tried to go AMA he pointed at the door and said go ahead. That was the start of me starting to get better. I owe Rusty my life.

2 Likes

We use Google’s ads in the app. They are by far the most reliable ad partner (trust me, some of them are super dodge and you’ll start seeing weird stuff).

Google builds up a “profile” of you based on things you are interested in when you search and so forth. It then decides which ads to show you. I don’t have any control over specific ads, but I can disable certain categories from showing in the app. I disabled the sensitive ones, like alcohol, prescription drugs, gambling and so forth when the app launched back in 2014.

Occasionally an ad slips through that shouldn’t. This is usually due to the advertiser creating a new ad in the incorrect category. Google picks up on this and corrects it, but it takes a while. I usually just email Google and tell them about an ad that shouldn’t show and then I never hear about it again.

Oh and about the ad implementation in the app. The ad interval is capped at 2 minutes, meaning that you can only ever see an ad every two minutes per session - this is double that of the 1 minute that Google requires (so the app is actually showing less ads than it is allowed to). They show between screens and won’t just pop up while you’re reading on the forum or something like that.

I know ads can be a bit annoying at times, but it’s what keeps the app alive and funds future development of it. If it’s a real bother to you, you can disable them with an in-app purchase for a few dollars.

7 Likes

While we got you here. Can I have supreme overlord as my title?

3 Likes

I keep getting a moneybox and which talks about buying rounds of drink down the pub …

1 Like